| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Older Newman learning Material?
Jeff Metz Jr.

York, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2013 12:29 am    

I have a few old vhs copies of Jeff Newman Material and I do not have the names of the videos. Does anyone have a complete videography of the Newman Instructional Material?

Clifton, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2013 7:25 am    

Jeff....I have a pamphlet from back in the 80's probably that lists all of Jeff's courses by video and audio. This pre-dates the cd's that were sold by Jeffran, would need to know what was being taught on your vhs tapes to be able to give you titles.
John Scanlon

Jackson, Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2013 8:55 am    

Does this not cover it?
http://www.jeffran.com/courses.php?content=VideoCourses
Ronnie Acton

Clifton, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2013 10:54 am    

Yes that covers it the listings now say cd only they just put the VHS courses on cd.
John Scanlon

Jackson, Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2013 12:06 pm    

The CD ones are here - http://www.jeffran.com/courses.php?content=AudioCourses

These are audio-only courses.

I thought the OP was looking for titles of video courses (not audio-only) now available on DVD (not CD), which was the link in my earlier post.
Alain-Yves Pigeon

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2013 4:35 pm    

I also have a few old VHS video tapes from Jeff Newman. The title is either on a sticker on the cassette or just play it and within a few seconds of playing, the title will appear. You'll then know what it's about.

Please list the titles you have, might be interesting although I have bought every title listed on the Jeffran web site, so maybe you have something that's older than the present offering on Fran's site. There are a few Woodshed Workshops that were done on VHS but were never transfered on DVD's and are no more available. If you have one of these, please let me know.

ayp

Post  Posted 19 Aug 2013 11:21 am    

The early Woodsheds were the best. For the life of me I can't figure out what questionable logic was used in deciding not to convert those from cassette to CD and make them available. How hard would that have been. Sorry to rant but it P Os me every time someone mentions it! Mad
Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 19 Aug 2013 11:50 am    

I have all of them and it P's me Off.
I don't know where to start to tell you how good those were so I just give you the first song that pops in my mind. The Woodshed tab of Reba's "Have I Got a Deal for You" is packed with licks that are a must for PSG players.
In those early Woodsheds he transcribed the intros, fill, solos and ending of other instruments note for note to PSG in addition to the Steel parts and then he added an adlib solo for the songs.
But then what the heck do I know about tab, I only have I'm sure the largest collection of tab in world and I have studied all of it.
I wish I had the rights, I'd have a web site totally dedicated to just those early Woodsheds.
Have I got a deal for you
Alain-Yves Pigeon

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2013 12:42 pm    

Stu and Bo, although I completely share your opinion about the whole Woodshed Workshop Series, I was meaning those few Jeff did in video (VHS at the time), I think they ran from #13 to 24. These were among the very best teaching material one could find in PSG and ever done for the instrument. If you think those presently offered on CD are great, seeing Jeff do each and every lick was absolutely fantastic.

I've seen a few selling on ebay but they don't come up often and I know from Fran that Jeff lost money on this collection when he first offered them. Too bad but they're still in the hands of Fran and she does not want to go though the hasle of transfering them to DVD's (which I understand) and selling them but she still has the original tapes. Maybe one of these days a good samaritan will come up and do it for her... and for us!

Oh, and I agree with you that the WW from #1 'till 20 are great. You can even buy an album called Collector's Series where they're all played by Jeff as on the cassette tape on which they were originally published but without the count down at the beginning and a softer mix where the steel is not too much upfront.

ayp