| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What are some must listen to albums for pedal steel players?
Jeff Metz Jr.

York, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2013 6:45 pm    

I am trying to fill my head with as many country style licks as I can. I have a boat load of country albums and a lot of Pedal steel albums by LLoyd Green, Fred Justice, Tommy white, buddy emmons, etc. but I don't know who/ what albums would be the best choice for country style e9 licks. Thanks

Waterloo, IL
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2013 2:53 am    

Hillman/Pederson, "Bakersfield Bound" has been a goldmine for me.
Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2013 4:50 am    

Wow, only one reply, and Steve beat me to the punch! And, EXTRA COOL, every song on that album has the steel parts tabbed out here on the forum!

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2013 5:35 am    

I kinda like "Highways and Heartaches" by Bruce Bouton.
Some guy named Skaggs has his picture on the front.
Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2013 5:55 am    

Bakersfield-Vince Gill & Paul Franklin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2013 7:56 am    

"Here Come The Teardrops" by Amber Digby, with Dicky Overbey on steel.

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2013 10:04 am    

There are tons of threads on this, including this very recent thread - http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=2112250. Honestly, there are way too many to list. But to me, these need to be on anybody's list if they're interested in classic country pedal steel playing:

Every single Ray Price album from the late 50s to early-mid 60s with either Jimmy Day or Buddy Emmons on it. To me, these are the 'source textbooks' on how to play pedal steel in a modern-classic country context.

As said in the above thread, Charlie Pride at Panther Hall (actually called "Charlie Price In Person"), Lloyd Green on steel. But also seek out anything with Lloyd on it - the entire catalog of Johnny Paycheck on Little Darlin' records, his work with Charlie Pride in general, The Byrds "Sweetheart of the Rodeo", early Warner Mack such as "The Bridge Washed Out", any of his solo albums, and pretty much anything else you can find with Lloyd on it.

Anything by Ernest Tubb (esp. with Buddy Charleton), but especially the 'band-only' records such as "Ernest Tubb Presents the Texas Troubadours", "Country Dance Time", "Ernest Tubb's Fabulous Texas Troubadours", and "The Terrific Texas Troubadours".

Of course, practically anything 60s from Buck Owens - early on you'll find Ralph Mooney, but then for several years it's Tom Brumley. Early Wynn Stewart with Ralph Mooney also.

Dig out the old Waylon records with Mooney, but I especially love the live record - there's a double-CD reissue with tons of extra stuff on it.

For more modern E9 stuff, dig up 80s Ricky Skaggs records with the likes of Bruce Bouton playing steel, and of course it won't be hard to find Paul Franklin - playing with Alan Jackson, George Strait, and many, many others.

Of course, the solo records by the great players are great - I just grab any I can find.

Anything by Curly Chalker - he's more known for C6, but his E9 playing is superlative, if a little harder to find.

You can find pointers on where to look for specific players on a few web pages out there that match up some of the classic tunes with steel players, such as

http://www.lloydgreentribute.com/AustrianSteelguitar/InfoNews.htm

http://louisvillesteelguitar.com/steel_players.htm
http://louisvillesteelguitar.com/artist_song_list.htm
http://louisvillesteelguitar.com/song_tiles.htm

You can get an idea of what to look for by looking up things on youtube, and then go out and buy the albums/CDs you want. I can never have too many.
Jerry Jones

Franklin, Tenn.
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2013 11:39 am    

Everything already mentioned +

Commander Cody Live from the Armadillo World Headquarters - featuring great E9th and C6th by Bobby Black.

Always liked John Hughey's work on Willie's Phases and Stages album.

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2013 12:19 pm    

Yeah, how could I not mention John Hughey? Of course, go through the catalog of his playing with Conway Twitty and Vince Gill for textbook examples of how to wring out every ounce of emotion from a song.

Or Weldon Myrick's work with Connie Smith. "I'll Come Running" is perhaps the best known, but there's tons more.

Or Pete Drake's work with so many classic singers it boggles the mind. And there are tons more great players.

Look at the song/player sites I pointed to above. Then start researching various players. There's no way to do this justice on a thread like this - you have to dig, but at no time has it been easier to do so than right now - the sky is the limit as to what's available. My opinion.
Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2013 2:09 pm    

Lane Gray wrote:

Not taking anything away from Bruce Bouton's steel work on that album (it's terrific), less than half the steel on the album is Bruce! He plays on 3 songs, Weldon Myrick plays on 3 songs, Lloyd Green plays on 2 songs, and 2 songs have no steel.
Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2013 7:20 pm    

Check out Danni Leigh's two records, "29 Nights" and "A Shot of Whiskey & A Prayer". Both of those records feature great songs with Steve Hinson on steel. There are only a few that don't feature steel, but Danni is a huge fan of the steel without a doubt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Fred Rogan

Birmingham, AL USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2013 7:44 am     Doug Sahm album

Has anyone every heard The Return of Wayne Douglas by Doug Sahm? The Doug Sahm album was released posthumously in 2000. I don't know who was playing steel but it is all over every cut and it is good stuff! Check it out on iTunes.
Joe Glavey

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2013 7:54 am    

Timeless by Martina McBride
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2013 7:57 am    

Brint Hannay wrote:
Lane Gray wrote:

Not taking anything away from Bruce Bouton's steel work on that album (it's terrific), less than half the steel on the album is Bruce! He plays on 3 songs, Weldon Myrick plays on 3 songs, Lloyd Green plays on 2 songs, and 2 songs have no steel.

Hmmm. I'll have to look at my albums better (I have that on vinyl: I still play my wax).
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2013 11:03 am     Re: Doug Sahm album

Fred Rogan wrote:
Has anyone every heard The Return of Wayne Douglas by Doug Sahm? The Doug Sahm album was released posthumously in 2000. I don't know who was playing steel but it is all over every cut and it is good stuff! Check it out on iTunes.

The very immaculate Tommy Detamore is both the producer and the steel guitarist on that exceptionally fine album.

Doug Sahm was a master musician of many styles (including non-pedal steel), and it was a pleasure to be onstage with him. He's been gone 14 years and his music is still being played all over Texas.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2013 11:12 am    

I'd second everything Dave Mudgett said, but add to it the '60s-early '70s Loretta Lynn recordings with Hal Rugg.
Bob Poole

Myrtle Beach SC, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2013 8:41 pm     Albums for steel players

Early Bellamy Brothers(Dannie Jones)....New Riders-(anything with Buddy Cage),anything with Ralph Mooney,any Super Grit Cowboy Band(Clyde Mattocks)Poco,early Pure Prarie League,Asleep @ The Wheel(early with Lucky Oceans)Buck
Daniel Policarpo

Post  Posted 14 Aug 2013 2:23 am    

THe album of this title track, sung by Kitty Wells is an excellent stock of E9 country. I believe Stu Basore is the steeler. He was definitely in her touring band at the time, but I'm still not certain if he played on this recording. The entire record/CD is damn fine country music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tzEhVzIMZ0
Norbert Dengler

germany
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2013 3:02 am     brand new

of course the new franklin/gill album "bakersfield"
fantastic source of steel licks

http://www.cede.de/de/music-cd/partner.cfm?pid=8100&aobj=1097187 Smile
Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2013 5:23 am    

The Return of Wayne Douglas - Tommy Detamore on steel, .
"Can't go back to Austin"... fabulous...

Birmingham, AL USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2013 5:46 am    

Herb - thanks for that information. I just stumbled on Doug Sahm's album on iTunes one day and I am so glad I did. That is a great album and great steel work!!
Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2013 6:15 am    

Rodney Crowell's "Diamonds and Dirt" CD...lotsa Paul Franklin
Mike Heugel

Taylor, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2013 8:58 pm    

I'd add Jamey Johnson's "The Guitar Song" to this list. Tons of great steel by Cowboy Eddie Long on this double-CD set. In fact, the cover of "For the Good Times" is the track that inspired me to learn pedal steel.

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-tJN2kbatY

Post  Posted 15 Aug 2013 5:10 am    

Douglas Schuch wrote:
Wow, only one reply, and Steve beat me to the punch! And, EXTRA COOL, every song on that album has the steel parts tabbed out here on the forum!

Is there a location I can find these tabs or are they spread over different threads?
Steve Hitsman

Waterloo, IL
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2013 6:03 am    

Search "Bakersfield Bound" in tablature and you'll get a list.