Reply to topic
Author Topic:  RIP Eydie Gorme
Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2013 4:15 am    

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/11/showbiz/eydie-gorme-death/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2013 8:36 am    

She was a sweetheart. I remember her from the era when her husband PFC Steve Lawrence was a DJ on Armed Forces Radio.

They were an anomaly for show business people, they remained married throughout their careers.

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2013 5:27 pm    

Back in the mid to late seventies, She and Steve used to sell out a whole week of performances at the Garden State Arts Center (Amphitheater).

The good old days, she will be missed, Rest in Peace Eydie!

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2013 5:38 pm    

Gene Jones wrote:
They were an anomaly for show business people, they remained married throughout their careers.

... to each other, even!
Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2013 5:47 pm    

Good observation Jim, this Oct I go on 24 years, I know you had a big milestone recently too.

I think you can't mention Eydie without Steve, kinda like Laurel and Hardie(sp), and Flatt and Scruggs Laughing

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2013 8:19 am    

Congratulations Craig, and hang in there. We just completed 61 years of marriage.....somewhat of a record for steel guitar players! Oh Well

Post  Posted 13 Aug 2013 11:09 am    

It was fifty-six for Steve & Eydie. I'm sure it would have been longer except for that part about "til death do us part." Irreplaceable. Crying or Very sad
Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2013 4:27 pm    

Thanks Gene,

I met my wife when I was 16, she was 12, didn't get married for a long while after, I worked for her dad, but knew then she was the one. Three kids later, it is still good, lots of work but I still wake up every morning to my best friend and my wife.

My grandparents made it to 50 years before gramps died and my parents are at 55 years in a few days.

Barry, it is rare for entertainers to start together, but Steve and Eddie must have had that same vibe, another one of my idols is James Garner who has done the same.

Again, I say not for everyone, and a lot of compromise acceptance of differences, but ultimately totally worth it. JUst hope I can keep my end of the oath up, which I am definitely trying.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2013 4:56 pm    

Eydie Gorme was a bit of a legend in my family, as we both come from New York, Sephardic Jewish families with long roots in Turkey. For those who might not know, the Sephardic Jews are the branch who lived for centuries in Spain (and Portugal) until 1492 when many fled during the Spanish Inquisition. (And, just for the record, we don't know any Yiddish and we don't eat matzoh balls or latkes, etc. Well, we might eat them if served them by our Ashkenazi Jewish friends...) Starting 1492, my ancestors, on both sides of my family, were welcomed, along with thousands of other Spanish Jews, into Turkey (then the Ottoman Empire) where they lived fairly happily for almost 500 years until the early 20th century when some of them (my mothers' parents and my Dad, who was born in Turkey) emigrated to the USA in search of a better life, landing in New York City.

Well it turns out that Edith Gormezano's family had done quite the same thing and our parents and grandparents travelled in the same circles in NYC during the mid-century years. In fact, just the other day when I told my 90-year old mother that Eydie Gorme had passed, she recalled how Eydie's mother would show up at any and every Sephardic community event in NYC bragging about her daughter's singing abilities and trying to get people to pay attention to her. Apparently she made quite a pest of herself, at least according to Mom (who was also quick to note that Neil Sedaka was also a New York Sephardic Jew (actually a cousin of the Gormezanos) whose mother didn't embarrass him the same way Edith's mother did her.)

Now, I have heard this same story from my Mom for over 50 years but Eydie's passing was a fresh occasion for her to dig it out of her long-term memory (which works much better these days than her short-term memory - don't ask her what she had for lunch!) and regale us with the story once again.

And for me to pass it on to you, for what it's worth... Wink

R.I.P. Edith Gormezano
Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2013 10:08 pm    

Thanks for sharing, Jim ! An impressive history if I may say so !!

Regards, Paul
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2013 7:33 am    

Here's a link to my favorite song by Eydie, and the one I'll probably always remember her for...great song, great singer. She did a lot of "cutesy" stuff and show-tunes, but I think she was great at torchy ballads, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5CEeSWOzlw

Rest easy, Eydie. Sad
James Cann

Phoenix, AZ
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2013 4:03 pm    

44 years now, to the one--bless her heart--who's been asking for some years now, "Who speaks of triumph? To endure is everything," and when in a lighter mood, "How does this marriage last?"
frank rogers

usa
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2013 7:48 pm    

Superb singer! Growing up in the 50s and 60s "Steve and Eydie" were one of network TV's favorite couples. She will be missed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY4I3aBqM-A&list=RD-lpzsNRJdzw
Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2014 2:02 pm    

A beautiful voice to grace the airwaves forever.