| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hilton VS Telonics Pedals
Paul Norman

Washington, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2013 2:16 pm    

What is the main difference in the sound of them?
Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2013 5:51 pm    

Hi there Paul long time no speak. From what I am told by my friend who has one that the taper can be changed so that you get different volume level curves where as Hilton you cannot, also Hilton uses a light beam like on a light beam mouse with a laser and telonics uses an optical eye like on an optical eye mouse.
www.daddario.com/nyxl
www.bjsbars.com
Paul Norman

Washington, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2013 6:09 pm    

Thanks Quentin.
Howard Smith

Callison, South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2013 9:13 pm    

So is their a difference in the SOUND?

Post  Posted 27 Jul 2013 9:13 pm    

So is their a difference in the SOUND?

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2013 9:52 pm    

I have both....I'd say they are very similar, in that they both are neutral relative to pedal position and pickup loading, unlike pot pedals.

Telonics claims to be completely neutral with regard to effect on the tone, and given the sophisticated electronics company that they are, I believe them. They have a lot of other fancy products and are in the pedal/pickup/speaker business only because Dave Beaty is a steel player also...it is a labor of love for him....
Howard Smith

Post  Posted 28 Jul 2013 10:04 am    

Thanks Steve....that tells me what I need to know. I currently use a Hilton Pedal, but would love to try out one of the other ones sometime.

Lopez Island, WA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2013 2:38 pm    

Quentin Hickey wrote:
... Hilton uses a light beam like on a light beam mouse with a laser and telonics uses an optical eye like on an optical eye mouse.

Actually, I believe the Telonics pedal uses small position sensor chips which sense the force of gravity. It is not optical. See their US patent #8338689 at uspto.gov. With luck, this link will take you to it:

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-adv.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&d=PALL&S1=08338689&OS=PN/08338689&RS=PN/08338689

The position sensor chips are similar to those that enable smart phones to sense which way is up. It's a very clever idea for a volume pedal.

And I'll second what Steve said about it being a labor of love for Dave Beaty. He's been incredibly helpful to me in solving a tone problem that had nothing at all to do with any of his products. I can't say enough good things about the guy in terms of both expertise and generosity.

Finally, getting back to the original question, I agree with Steve that the Telonics pedal is completely transparent tonewise, and consistent across the full range from soft to loud.

John