| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Ideas For Triple Raise Adapter?
Allan Jirik

Wichita Falls TX
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2013 12:20 pm    

I have one of Tom Bradshaw's adapters and was wondering how I could put it to good use. The guitar is a 74 MSA S-12 Classic with extended E9, 5 pedals and 4 levers. Double raise, double lower. In what situations would I want three pulls (raises or lowers) on a particular string? Got her upside down and now is the time to make some changes, so to speak. Thank you.
John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2013 10:56 pm    

My pre-RP Mullen is a triple raise, and strings 3-6 use all 3 raise holes.

For example, string 3 raises with pedal B, and also gets raised a tiny bit (compensator) with knee lever F and pedal A.

String 6 uses a Bradshaw gizmo cause it's raise 4 times.
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2013 1:09 am    

You will need at 3 raises on a strings 5 and 6 if you switch to a Universal tuning. Otherwise, you should put it on the 5th string, and use the 3rd raise to get a tunable split.

John, please tell us more about all your compensators. (I may adapt some of your ideas to my guitars.)

For what it's worth, I had 3 of Tom's gismos in each of my 2 former MSA U-12 Classics, for over 20 years. I converted the 5th and 6 strings to 3 raise one lower, and the 11th string to 3 losers and one raise. And in all that time, I never had a problem with any of them, on either guitar.
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2013 1:14 am    

Allan, I should add that I never had a problem with any of Tom's gizmos once they were installed, but installing them was a lot more difficult than pulling out bell cranks and changing my copedant. You might want to take the guitar to a qualified tech and have him do it.
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2013 3:14 am    

I plan to take a video of installation of A Bradshaw Gizmo.
You can use them either vertically (using a 5th string lower slot to raise the 5th, for instance) or horizontally (borrowing a 6th string raise slot to raise the 6th).
You'll need TWO of the short sleeves; the only gizmo kits I've seen have just one. I'll try to put mine back together.
BTW, you can also get more than three raises on a string: use Sho-Bud rods and barrels. My absurdly complex uni has 4 6th string raises and either 4 or 5 5th string raises (the guitar is currently in multiple pieces, forgive me for forgetting which).
It'd help if you'd say which strings you want to raise to what.
Tom Bradshaw

Walnut Creek, California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2013 11:45 am     Short pulling tubes

Anyone who needs the short pulling tubes when installing the triple raise/lower insert ("Bradshaw gizmo"), just send me a dollar and I'll send you one or two. The dollar is just to cover the postage for a fat envelope. My pulling tubes (called changer lever pulling tubes) are made out of nylon and will last longer than your guitar!
Incidentally, two of these changer lever pulling tubes are the exact length of one of the stock aluminum pulling tubes.
...Tom

Last edited by Tom Bradshaw on 5 Aug 2013 7:29 am; edited 2 times in total
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2013 11:56 am    

Awesome customer service, again.
I took a Dremel to one of mine.
You da man, Tom.
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2013 2:25 pm    

Lane Gray wrote:

You can use them either vertically (using a 5th string lower slot to raise the 5th, for instance) or horizontally (borrowing a 6th string raise slot to raise the 6th).

You can, but on an E9 neck, the only triple raise you actually need is on the 5th string, and you only need it in order to get a tunable split.

Universals are different. You need 3 raises on strings 5 and 6, and optimally, a tunable split on string 5 as well.

I didn't have any tunable splits for 25 years, but once I started using them, they really opened up my playing, and now I feel I can't live without them.

The new MSAs have 4 raises, 3 lowers and split screws on every string. I cannot imagine uses for all that, but it's nice to know it's there if I should ever decide I need it. (Maybe I'll use it to install John's compensators.)
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2013 3:09 pm    

And on C6, the 4th string would want to raise three times: P4, P7 and the knee to Bb.