| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Question for Hawaiian players
Edward Meisse

Santa Rosa, California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2013 8:21 pm    

Having switched to a pedal guitar for my electric playing and having had an excellent experience, I'm wondering why Basil Henriques style pedal playing of Hawaiian music has not caught on among the Hawaiian players. Once you get the hang of it, you get alot more out of a pedal guitar with a lot less effort, it seems to me.

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2013 8:43 pm    

Edward, what tuning do you have on your PSG?
Edward Meisse

Post  Posted 22 Jul 2013 9:33 pm    

I have the Buddy Emmons C6 set up on mine. I have found it to be very versatile. I understand that Basil has an old D8 Fender 1000 with a version of E9 on the main neck. I'm not sure what's on the other. I'm working mostly on G.A.S. at this time. But I do have some Hawaiian numbers in mind. My experiments with, "Pearly Shells," are going pretty well. When I work up the energy, I'm hoping to work up a pedal version of, "Estrellita." I'm kind of weak on the volume pedal though.

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2013 2:13 am    

Hi Edward, comments appreciated, If I can help in any way just e-mail me the questions basil@waikiki-islanders.com
or you CAN call or text int+(0)7800-646-645

Steelies do it without fretting

CLICK THIS to view my tone bars and buy——>
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2013 6:24 am    

Since this is about pedal steel, I'm moving it to Steel Players in the hopes that more pedal steel players will respond.
Martin Curnan

Lihue, Kauai
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2013 9:40 am     Hawaiian pedal steel

IMHO if thet had them they would play them. It is also quite and investment for a beginner and here in the island if you thought the steel guitar is scarce the pedal steel is almost extinct, much less someone to teach . Much appreciation to Alan Akaka for his commitment to perpetuating the steel guitar. I also can't imagine lugging the instrument around. John Hughey's "Look At Us" is 'chicken skin' music. One day I will get a pedal steel to try and learn that song only.
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2013 12:35 pm    

Hawaiian motto: keep it simple.
They did exceedingly well without pedals and few have come close since.
"Don't need no pedals" Jerry Byrd
Besides, who'd want to mess with that ton of stuff?

I got more...
David Matzenik

Cairns, on the Coral Sea
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2013 3:01 pm    

It is entirely a matter of taste, but here is my objection to pedal guitars for Hawaiian music:

If you take a simple example of a major triad on the top three strings it is possible pivot into either slant and produce a pleasing and sometimes interesting effect; I would not play a whole piece this way, it would get tedious.
However, due to he concept of the pedal guitar, the straight bar with pedal control of string tension achieves exactly what I have just described. It produces a continuous whine which may be popular at Grinder Switch, but it is not in Hawaii.
Yes,this continual pivot tone can be avoided with pedal guitars, but then what would be the point of the pedals?

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2013 5:02 pm    

So, Jules Ah See, Billy Hew Len Danny Stewart, Barney Isaacs Jr, Sam Koki and many more are all doing it in a non Hawaiian way ? I don't think so.

From what I can deduce the main reason erstwhile players object to pedal steel guitar in Hawaiian music is that it would require a deeper knowledge of chords and harmony than most of them posses.

It is plainly just way beyond their capabilities, not so with these examples though..

http://www.waikiki-islanders.com/assets/Magic/09%20Beyond%20the%20Reef.mp3

http://www.waikiki-islanders.com/assets/Magic/01%20Blue%20Hawaii.mp3

http://www.waikiki-islanders.com/assets/05%20Analani%20E%20&%20Pua%20Mana.mp3

http://www.waikiki-islanders.com/assets/Magic/1B-BEYOND%20THE%20REEF.mp3

http://www.waikiki-islanders.com/assets/09%20This%20Song%20For%20Love%20%28Dahil%20Sa%20Lyo%29.mp3

http://www.waikiki-islanders.com/assets/01-HULA%20BLUES.mp3

http://www.waikiki-islanders.com/assets/Sleepy%20Lagoon.mp3

http://www.waikiki-islanders.com/assets/kitchen1962/04-MOONLIGHT%20MEDLEY%20-3B.mp3

And all in this folder.:-
http://www.waikiki-islanders.com/assets/Magic/

Steelies do it without fretting

CLICK THIS to view my tone bars and buy——>
Edward Meisse

Post  Posted 23 Jul 2013 11:47 pm    

Excellent examples. Sounds to me a lot like what Billy Hew Len was doing on the, "Steel Guitars Hawaiian Style," album. Know anything about his copedent? Which makes the question even more of a puzzle to me. He was an excellent and very popular player. But almost nobody seems to have followed his lead.

Post  Posted 23 Jul 2013 11:49 pm    

Brad Bechtel wrote:
Since this is about pedal steel, I'm moving it to Steel Players in the hopes that more pedal steel players will respond.

The reason I put it in the non pedal section is that I was looking for comments from non pedal Hawaiian players. But you may have been right to move it. It may attract comments here from both sides.

Post  Posted 24 Jul 2013 12:06 am    

Dave, I used to think the same thing as you until I heard some pedal steel players doing jazz and hawaiian (like Basil's samples above) and had it pointed out to me that Billy Hew Len used a pedal guitar on a CD that I had and loved. I hadn't noticed it. But once it was pointed out, it was undeniable.

Ron, your objection about the ton of stuff is getting more true these days. I see more and more Hawaiian style players using just one neck. But my S10 psg is no heavier than a high quality D8 non pedal I'll bet not to even mention a T8. And it can do everything they do and more.

Martin, yes the expense. I wouldn't have a psg if I had not come into a moderately sized windfall a couple of years back. But I learned everything I know from books and DVD's that I bought here on the forum and at the Jeffran website. But it looks like nobody in Hawaii is even interested. And I don't get it.

Honolulu, Hawai'i
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2013 1:40 am    

Baz, also Jules' (Ben Kalama's) "Miloli‘i"!

Billy Hew Len is my #1 steel idol.
I've got a Fender 1000. It's too much to bring to the gig.
basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2013 2:00 am    

Jeff Au Hoy wrote:

I've got a Fender 1000. It's too much to bring to the gig.

Yeah, not fo me..I have always used my "1000" at gigs, even took it to Hawaii with me and said to hell with the cost. I ALWAYS take my own instruments with me no matter where I'm gigging.
As for your "1000" Jeff, I'm sure it comes in handy for recordings !
BTW Send me you address I have a VINTAGE Cornell Dubilier "Tiger" Paper/wax.. 0.5mfd .. to replace the slightly distraught on in your frypan..

Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2013 1:43 pm    

Edward Meisse wrote:
Ron, your objection about the ton of stuff is getting more true these days.

But my S10 psg is no heavier than a high quality D8 non pedal I'll bet not to even mention a T8. And it can do everything they do and more.
Plus, having a Ferrari mechanic on call to keep it going is just too much for me.

All that considered, it's said the pedal steel's invention was to replicate what Jerry Byrd was doing on his little 7 string Rick. That may not be true, but if not... it ought to be.

I love what some do with pedals, it's just not for me.
basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2013 2:10 pm    

Edward Meisse wrote:
Excellent examples. Sounds to me a lot like what Billy Hew Len was doing on the, "Steel Guitars Hawaiian Style," album. Know anything about his copedent? Which makes the question even more of a puzzle to me. He was an excellent and very popular player. But almost nobody seems to have followed his lead.

I don't know so much Edward, I have been heavily influenced by both Billy and Jules with a smidgeon of Barney thrown in for good measure. That of course is in the Pedal Hawaiian Style.
For the non pedal style I must admit to Andy, Sol and Harry Brooker being my biggest influences. (and Idols)

BTW. Just back from the surgery and it was an unqualified success.
Evil Twisted Evil Twisted
David Matzenik

Cairns, on the Coral Sea
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2013 8:56 pm    

Like I said, its a matter of taste, if you like the way pedal steel sound that is all that counts. But I am not going out and buy one just so I can try to stop it sounding like a pedal guitar.

Post  Posted 24 Jul 2013 11:08 pm    

Ron Whitfield wrote:
Edward Meisse wrote:
Ron, your objection about the ton of stuff is getting more true these days.

But my S10 psg is no heavier than a high quality D8 non pedal I'll bet not to even mention a T8. And it can do everything they do and more.
Plus, having a Ferrari mechanic on call to keep it going is just too much for me.

All that considered, it's said the pedal steel's invention was to replicate what Jerry Byrd was doing on his little 7 string Rick. That may not be true, but if not... it ought to be.

I love what some do with pedals, it's just not for me.

Yes, the mechanic. That is one objection I have absolutely no answer to. I'm hoping as the years go by, that I'll figure things out. But I doubt it. When it comes to mechanical stuff, I'm a zero. Good thing there are a couple of good guys not far from me. And at least one of them works way cheap (hope he doesn't read this). One of the reasons I like the Buddy Emmons C6 so much is that I learned lap steel from the Jerry Byrd instruction book. And the Emmons C6 is very compatible with Jerry Byrd's approach. The only thing it doesn't have that would help is a G to F lower. Many players have begun putting that on a vertical knee lever. I am currently experimenting with it on the first pedal in place of the A to B raise. But I'll be damned if after all this time I'm not finding some use for the A to B raise after all on some of the GAS songs. I hate vertical knee levers. But I may have to do it.

Post  Posted 24 Jul 2013 11:23 pm    

basilh wrote:
Edward Meisse wrote:

I don't know so much Edward, I have been heavily influenced by both Billy and Jules with a smidgeon of Barney thrown in for good measure. That of course is in the Pedal Hawaiian Style.
For the non pedal style I must admit to Andy, Sol and Harry Brooker being my biggest influences. (and Idols)

BTW. Just back from the surgery and it was an unqualified success.
Evil Twisted Evil Twisted

As far as I'm concerned, Sol is head and shoulders above other non pedal players. But when it comes to non pedal, I have a distinct preference for it to be non electric as well. So that eliminates a lot of otherwise good players.

The surgery?! With the Evil Twisted Evil Twisted added, I'm tempted to think it might have something to do with some of those advertisements I get on my facebook page from time to time. Whatever it was, I'm glad it went well. First b0b and now you. It seems these days like everybody is having surgery except me.

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2013 2:49 pm    

Edward Meisse wrote:
I learned lap steel from the Jerry Byrd instruction book.
And with that, the world is a bit more perfect, except that I wish you and every steeler had sat with Jerry, one on one while he was teaching.
Edward Meisse

Post  Posted 25 Jul 2013 11:02 pm    

Me too.