| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Swingin' On Fender Jazzmaster -- "Limehouse Blues"
Roger Shackelton

MINNESOTA (deceased)
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2013 10:17 pm    

This Video Was Posted By Jarmo Hynninen.
According to his name I would say Jarmo is from FINLAND. ??? Great playing by Jarmo.

Published on Dec 11, 2012
Playing my version of "Limehouse Blues" on Fender American Vintage Jazzmaster '65.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1slS_AZ9j4
Larry Lorows

Zephyrhills,Florida, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2013 2:00 am    

This guy is great. I really enjoyed listening to him. Larry
Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2013 2:10 am    

That was so terrific, Roger. Thanks. Proof positive of how good a solid body can sound in jazz and probably the first successful recording of jazz on a jazz master (just kidding - Joe Pass played one in his rehab period).
Andrew Roblin

Various places
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2013 3:04 am    

Wow, Roger.

Thanks for your music. I really dug that.

Andrew Roblin
International Sho-Bud Brother & Sisterhood
Member #79, Janitor
Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2013 3:43 am    

Actually, Joe played a Jaguar ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2IDvFRqo04g#at=29
William Lake

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2013 7:27 am    

I was going to correct you, Andy, but you did it yourself Smile
I used to own a Jazzmaster of the same vintage.
Loved the neck but hated the guitar. At the time I was an archtop lover. Wish I kept the Jazzmaster. Sad

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2013 3:36 am    

Amazing how you can tell in two measures whether you're going to "save" one or not, huh? Smile

I am not alone in noticing that the Scandinavians play better jazz and the Canadians play better country than what's hyped in America.
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2013 4:16 am    

David Mason wrote:
I am not alone in noticing that the Scandinavians play better jazz and the Canadians play better country than what's hyped in America.

To each his own, but I think jazz guitar playing in America is as good as it has ever been. While I like the playing in the video, to me it is old-fashioned swing and not what I would call jazz.

Clint Strong is one of the best in this style I've ever heard.

Springfield,MA,USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2013 6:00 am     What is jazz?

Interesting point Mike. Jazz is a broad term that can refer to different stylistic periods such as ragtime, New Orleans, swing, bop, cool, hard bop, third stream, modal, free, fusion, funky, latin, etc. All of these styles are still played and appreciated by particular audiences. Most listeners relate to jazz with either a swing, bop, or latin flavor. Most of the steel guitar playing on this forum is solidly in the swing camp (from the 1930's) Even if a current musician played in the style of Parker, Monk, Coltrane or Shorter, that vocabulary is still 50 to 60 years old. I'm very wary of calling any kind of music "old fashioned", as that implies a desire to hear something more "modern" (which often is not really modern). Jazz, as well as country, blues, rock, and classical, invariably goes through "retro" periods, wherein musicians look to the past for inspiration. Many classical composers are writing tonal music again. A jazz musician may decide that he prefers to express himself through these "dated" styles, or he does not understand or relate to more "advanced'" rhythmic, melodic, and harmonic thinking. To divide musical expression into "old fashioned" as opposed to "modern" is in my opinion, a questionable division. I do not believe that music necessarily "improves" over time. There are two kinds of music.......... Joel
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2013 6:34 am    

That's true, Joel, but if one is going to compare this playing to what is currently going on, as David did, I think it's fair game to say that this has already been done, whereas much of the current jazz hasn't.

Like I said, I think it's fine playing, but I don't lament the passing of time and the modernization of jazz language. To me, it has evolved or at least changed significantly.

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2013 8:15 am    

I did try to say "what's hyped in America" to represent the music that seems to me to be what is being pushed upon the regular folk through television. Of course with some knowledge (and guidance) you can now go through and find people who are playing way beyond the limits of any certain tradition, not retro-gypsy or retro-Kessel or "jazz-blues" etc. But jeez, ask your guitar students what "jazz" is. Crying or Very sad

Several years back I saw a "jazz" show at the Kennedy Center in D.C. on TV, the band was these doddering old guys who could barely stand up (two of them leaned on stools) and the "highlight" of the show was when three fat black ladies in sequined dresses snapped their fingers and sang "I Got Rhythm", over and over and over. And the stuff our "national jazz ambassador" Wynton Marsalis samples and regurgitates at the Lincoln Center is only a decade more up-to-date, to Marsalis "jazz" is a black-only, classical music form that stopped in 1965 when John Coltrane went insane. And he'll tell you so himself, and he sold it to Ken Burns. Is it safer if I call it "jazz" music? Smile

"Jazz music?"

Jazz "music..."
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2013 9:49 am    

I like the playing here, he also has a nice (IMO, strongly Gatton-influenced) version of Cherokee - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LChAj8Swu24. But I agree with Mike that there's no lack of great American jazz guitar players today. I think the US is still the epicenter of jazz, and will remain so for the foreseeable future.

Quote:
While I like the playing in the video, to me it is old-fashioned swing and not what I would call jazz.

I've actually never heard anybody argue that swing jazz isn't jazz. I've heard people make that argument about Dixieland, so maybe we're moving into a new era - but it's all jazz to me. I've heard the set-theoretic complement (later jazz isn't jazz) argued many times by traditionalists, to which I also disagree. But I strenuously disagree with the notion that earlier jazz styles are ever essentially 'eclipsed' by new ideas in jazz to the point where the former is not even jazz any longer. Would you say the same about Ellington, Basie, and so on? That notion seems hard to imagine, to me.

Of course, definitions are, to some extent, arbitrary. But to me, music that doesn't somehow evolve from and/or takes absolutely nothing from earlier jazz styles isn't jazz. So I guess there are some things that some people call jazz that I wouldn't. Still, I'm really not particularly rigid, but I especially have to take exception to any line of reasoning that one can just appropriate an established style name and declare that the earlier version no longer qualifies. Of course, one can do it, but an argument will ensue. Wink

I'm confident you didn't mean it this way, Mike, but sometimes I hear arguments like this about other styles (blues, country, rock, and so on) that sound disrespectful of the earlier approaches, and I think that's what bugs me about going down this road. I think that some of this is perhaps why the traditionalists are so fiercely protective of the heritage and name, and not just in jazz - the same war has been going on in country music, as we witness almost daily on this forum. Personally, I think there's room for lots of evolution and development in any style of music, and it's better to just leave the marketeers to peddle their labels.
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2013 6:59 pm    

My statement was more of a response to Dave Mason's post which I took (or mistook, I'm not sure Laughing ) as saying that this was better jazz guitar playing than what was currently being offered up in America--Dave later said it's not what he meant. I guess my response did come off as snobby and could be taken as a knock on older styles, but it isn't--I'm a loyal fan of those styles of playing and have and still do study them.

I think Hillbilly Jazz is more of what I was getting at--the thing for me is that a lot of that stuff doesn't seem truly improvised to me, whereas I think much of what I would consider Jazz is.

One thing I know for sure is, we all have different viewpoints on what jazz is or isn't--some of that is regional, maybe. Is Western Swing jazz? Gypsy Jazz? Hillbilly Jazz? They all have elements of jazz in there, but there are different levels of playing and I'll leave it at that. Smile

Lotus, California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2013 7:21 am    

isn't that Fender the same model Roy Lanham played?
He is still on rotation on my player...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCuNBEQzM6A

Very Happy
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 15 Jul 2013 12:13 pm    

Ah yes, the Jazzmaster. Some things about were problematic like the little roller wheel controls, but overall a very underrated instrument IMO. Wish I still had mine from the '60's.
Jussi Huhtakangas

Helsinki, Finland
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2013 1:10 am    

I know Jarmo, he's a teacher at the Helsinki pop/jazz conservatory. Some years back he also wrote a instructional book of country guitar styles; Jimmy Bryant, fingerpicking, tele-style chickenpickin' etc. And yes, he's not a jazz player per' se, just a guy who can play pretty much anything and blow you off stage. Trust me, I've played a gig with him Laughing
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2013 10:32 pm    

Outstanding Roger.