| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Any model 10 string pickup for steel found in the garbage...
Christian Oates

New York, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2013 11:44 am    

A friend of mine actually found the business end of a steel guitar in the trash in my neighborhood (Williamsburg, Brooklyn). It is missing legs and the undercarriage is a mess, but since I don't have guitar tuned to C6 I figured I'd string it up for fun - and fun it is! It is clearly a student model, but I don't know what kind. Anyway, stripped down it sounds a little ringy like a dobro, but it stays in tune and rests well on the lap. I plan to use it at local jams where I wouldn't bring a steel. To the point: I'm looking for a cheap pickup ($50 to $80 bucks?). There are some new ones on ebay, but buying something new off of ebay isn't in the spirit of this instrument. I would happily pay more if somebody has something that they deem "ridiculous", which is kinda the point.

Thanks all.

Christian

Doug Palmer

Greensboro, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2013 12:30 pm     Used Pick-up

Christian, I have a used pick up for $40.00 plus $5.20 shipping. Not sure what brand, but I think it is a Humbucker. It reads 10.38K ohms which is about right for a student steel, but it's possible that one side may be shorted out. Most 10 string humbucking PU's measure around 20K. The height may be an issue as well. This measures 7/8". Let me know if you want it. I do paypal and can ship same day.

Doug Palmer

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2013 2:12 pm    

Got a George L's here for $75. PM if interested. http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=246339&highlight=george
William Lake

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2013 3:01 pm    

Alumitone $75 shipped.

California, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2013 3:04 pm     Pickup

Christian, The little steel looks like a "Built Rite" It came in a kit unasembled. It had a narrow mount, single coil pickup like a Show-Bud.
David Venzke

SE Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2013 6:41 pm    

What you need on that is something a little more unusual, like an older Barcus Berry. I have one I'll send to you for $37. Let me know if you're interested.
Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2013 10:06 pm    

Christian, I can send you a good working 10 string pickup for $15.00 with free postage. rollermusic@cox.net
Jerry
Christian Oates

New York, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2013 9:40 am    

It does indeed look like it was built from a kit. Weird and neat. Regarding the pickups, I got a ton of replies on and off list. Looks like I'm going to try three different pickups and see which works best. Thanks everybody!