| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Beautification Underway
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2013 6:37 am    

my MSA universal got dealt a bit of a setback when I discovered some mistakes I had made in cleaning the changer.
While I had the guitar apart, I decided I would put a little bit of money into making it pretty. Joel Edison at Manning Music in Topeka is attending to refinishing the would work. He declared it a gorgeous piece of walnut. he said he would try to steam out the dents of some of the bar drops, as well as drop filling the nicks in the finish Here are some before pictures, since y'all like this sorta stuff. Does anyone have an MSA decal for the pedal bar?

And the aluminum is going to Blue Mountain Metal Finishing in Bethel Pa. I would have taken more pictures, including the pillow blocks and pedal bar, but I was tired and in a hurry

Bill Duncan

Lenoir, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2013 7:44 am    

Hope you can save the finish, that's gonna be a good looking guitar. MSA's are, and have always been great instruments! They were ahead of their time in build and mechanics.

I bought one in '77 and it still is my favorite guitar. Pedals and knee levers are smooth and easy, never wear out, and it stays in tune. I guess some may think it a little heavy, but it doesn't move around with the knee levers. Only problem ever, was the pick ups became microphonic.

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2013 1:19 pm    

For pickups, I yanked the E-66 that was in there and it has a TrueTone on the bench at the moment: I own a ToneAligner (that I currently cannot find) that will go back in there.
I plan to have it as pretty as when it left Dallas thirtymumble years ago.
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2013 1:21 pm    

For pickups, I yanked the E-66 that was in there and it has a TrueTone on the bench at the moment: I own a ToneAligner (that I currently cannot find) that will go back in there.
I plan to have it as pretty as when it left Dallas thirtymumble years ago.
Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2013 7:14 pm    

I LOOOOOVE these old MSA's. I'm going to try an Alumitone in the next one I put back together. The body is ready but I haven't gotten in the mood to buff the aluminum parts yet. Maybe in a few months.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, a restored MSA Classic SS, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Also a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored Rose S10, named the "Blue Bird". Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also have a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks, and a showroom condition Sho-Bud Super Pro.
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2013 7:21 pm    

BMMF says they be able to mirror polish all nine pieces and slacker coat them for between 80 and 100 dollars. I will post pictures of their work when they are done.the nine pieces are endplates, pedal rack, both pillow blocks both halves of the keyheads and that casting that surrounds the pickup and changer
Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2013 7:35 pm    

That's cheap, I wouldn't do it for twice that. If they turn out well, send me their contact info I may have them finish them up. I already have the pedal bar polished, along with a couple of other parts.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, a restored MSA Classic SS, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Also a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored Rose S10, named the "Blue Bird". Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also have a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks, and a showroom condition Sho-Bud Super Pro.
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2013 8:16 pm    

I'll report next week on the quality of the job, but they charge $45/hr and he guesses between 1.75 and 2.25 hours and a $30 minimum for lacquer. Hoping the lacquer is a good idea...
They're not quick, though. Dropped off this morning, should be ready next Friday.
mike nolan

Forest Hills, NY USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2013 9:35 pm    

I'm not so sure that I would do the lacquer job on the metal.... I have seen that end up discolored and flakey...... more research might be in order.
Larry Robertson

Denver, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2013 9:50 pm    

What are you planning on doing with the various decals on the wood? (Fretboard, "supersustain" "The Universal") etc? I have a blue laquer Vintage XL that has faded, and a while ago I posted about decals if I had it refinished, but nobody knew of a source for them. Can they be made 'one off' at the local level? I would love to have mine refinished, but don't know of a way to refinish without destroying decals. Let me know what you find out. Thanks, Larry Robertson
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2013 10:01 pm    

Larry, the finish on mine is mostly beautiful, so on the advice of Joel, we're only doing drop fills on the nicks. Decals and screenings will remain unmolested. Although I will need a pedal rack decal, since they're scraping it off and the whole rack will be shiny.

EDIT: if I were doing a strip and refinish, I think I'd look into either gold leaf or a similar paint-on underneath the lacquer (or over the color).
Remember that for good or ill, the MSA isn't a collector's axe: there's no appreciable premium for "original."
Therefore, I would go for pretty, cool or hot rod. If my finish were shot, I would have done candy apple red, with gold leaf fretboard on a gloss black neck.
But my guitar has about 96% great finish, which is good because the grain is gorgeous. I praise Reece & co. for making a guitar in such great csmetic shape 36 years on.
Allan Jirik

Wichita Falls TX
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2013 6:07 am    

Lane, I was wondering what difficulties you encountered while cleaning the changer. I found that when I screwed the shaft supports down the fingers became somewhat mushy- maybe the supports were bent a little? I swapped them around and it's better but not perfect. What about leaving the supports off entirely? Thanks for your input.
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2013 6:42 am    

I got a little vigorous in cleaning the steel fingers and bent a couple. Didn't recognize it immediately. I may have had a problem with the supports as I left one screw off.
My problem was that the damn ToneAligner disappeared. Still can't find it.
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2013 11:40 am    

Great price on the buffing Lane! But they have those big wheels, and it really doesn't take them long at all. And the results are perfect.
Cartwright Thompson

Post  Posted 7 Jul 2013 2:44 pm    

"He declared it a gorgeous piece of walnut..."
Ummm, that ain't walnut.
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2013 3:10 pm    

Maple stained to walnut? It's marked/stamped walnut. I'd always thought it was maple.
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2013 3:18 pm    

Looks like walnut stained maple to me.
Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2013 4:34 pm    

Yes, John, I agree - Maple.
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2013 2:52 pm    

I got the aluminum back. I'm impressed, but not amazed, by the work. They already had the lacquer on some stuff when I called to try to cancel that. Total bill for all 9 pieces, $124. Pics later this weekend.
The wood guy says the cabinet is ready, total for nick repair (about 12 dings total plus a larger chip): $65.