| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Missing finger pick tone! Getting used to picks.
Jeff Metz Jr.

York, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2013 10:50 pm    

I have been playing the steel for some time now. I know the reason I am getting dull warm tone from my steel is because I don't use finger picks. I am very fond of the touch-feeling of playing with bare fingers. I am not happy with the pickless tone. I guess what I am asking is how I can get a picked tone without picks, or what are the best picks to use for my dilemma. I figure Im going to have to make friends with them sometime. I also wonder how much pick shaping has to do with comfortability? THanks a bunch guys and gals.

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2013 2:22 am    

You CAN get good crisp tone bare, but it's brutal on the fingertips.
I'd recommend making friends with the picks.
Or, if you run Peavey gear, crank the presence up. (Presence is the name for the ultra-highs: treble/high usually centered at 2K, presence at 4)
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2013 7:40 am    

What Lane says. Yes, it's possible to play without finger picks, but 99% of the pros use them.

I figure that proves there must be a good reason. Winking
CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2013 3:14 pm    

Better to know how to play w: picks than without
rather than knowing how to play without than with

use both ! Winking
Daniel Policarpo

Post  Posted 29 Jun 2013 4:28 am    

Maybe you could try using some picks that are not so stiff, like the Dunlop .15 size? I use the .15 on one finger and the .18 on the other and they work really well for the kind of attack I like. It won't take long to get used to once you get them fitted to your finger proper.
Charlie Paterno

Westerly, Rhode Island, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2013 8:49 am    

You could try Alaska Piks. They come in plastic or brass. Never tried them myself but the brass might give you that crisp pick sound with a more comfortable feel.Sold at Elderly Instruments
Mike Heugel

Taylor, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2013 11:43 am    

Hey Jeff, I know what you mean about the feel of playing with the fingers. While I prefer that myself, I'm also forcing myself to use picks because I want that bell-like tone.

One alternative that will give you more presence to fingerstyle-playing (although not necessarily exactly the same) is to implement the fingernails. Whether you go the all-natural option or the fake option is up to you - It's more preference than anything else - but the important thing is shaping them correctly.

Scott Tennant has a good video about nail shape that you can find here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFpLo2HtE5A - more geared towards classical guitar, but works just as well on steel.

Good luck.

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2013 7:29 pm    

Have you tried Propik Finger-Tone picks? See http://www.guptillmusic.com/ProPik-Finger-Tone-Finger-Picks.html

I like playing with bare fingers too and these seem like a good compromise. I've got some. I really wanted to like them but I find the metal too thin and it cuts into my fingers so I've not found them wearable. It might be possible to modify them to work around this issue - I haven't tried.
Jeff Metz Jr.

York, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2013 9:54 pm    

Hey guys ,
Thanks for all of the info. It seems however, that I am going to get along with the picks. In the long run its actually a small price to pay given all the pedal steel has to throw at you.

David, are those the picks with the circle cut in them? Almost like the metal outlines your finger print? If so , I've looked at them and never pulled the trigger due to skeptecism. They seem like I would still be playing either with or without my fingertip.

Callison, South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2013 1:29 am    

I've been playing now for a year and two months, and today finally got my National picks adjusted better than I've ever had them fit. Get some needle nose pliers, and go at. Keep messing with them till you get them to fit like an extension of your finger.

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2013 3:43 am    

Alaska picks are the ones that fit under the nail (don't worry, they're comfy, I've tried 'em).
The only drawback: they don't deal well with FIRM attacks. Start digging and they'll flop out.
David Donn

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2013 4:45 am    

Jeff Metz Jr. wrote:

David, are those the picks with the circle cut in them? Almost like the metal outlines your finger print? If so , I've looked at them and never pulled the trigger due to skeptecism. They seem like I would still be playing either with or without my fingertip.

Yes, they are the ones where the metal outlines your fingerprint. I guess they are "halfway" between regular picks and bare fingers. You have the feel of playing with bare fingers because your finger is actually touching the string but the sound of a pick because the metal is striking the string.
Thomas Heath

Saint Louis, Missouri
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2013 10:04 am    

I agree. I had a lot of trouble with picks at first, but it becomes more natural quicker than you would think. Just keep pickin!
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2013 11:19 am    

I use the finger picks on lead guitar as well as steel and am very happy with the sound and clarity I get, plus I believe it increases my speed and eliminates having to use a flatpick for some single string things...........JH in Va.

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2013 1:19 pm    

My picks are the most crucial part of my playing. I'd rather change guitars than change picks. The bare finger picking for modern steel guitar just won't cut it in my book. I remember one night we had a gig about 120 miles from home and I forgot my pick pouch. Had extra bar but no picks. It was a miserable night to say the least but I made it. Had to change my whole technique and came home with a few blisters. Sad

Donnie,I think you can make that 99.9%

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.
Geoff Barnes

Sydney, Australia
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2013 1:39 pm    

I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination... and really struggled with fingerpicks for a while... I have a pretty good collection now after experimenting with many different types.
The Acri picks are easily the most comfortable for my fingers. YMMV and I'm positive that there are folks here with much more experience in this matter... but I really like these.
http://www.jdmc.com/product/2016B-M.html

Edited to add this thread;
http://www.reso-nation.org/forums/whatever/miscellaneous/2010/11/15/acri-finger-picks

from Wales now in Berkeley,Ca, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2013 5:55 pm    

Fred Kelly has some more comfortable finger picks.

There was once a plastic pick made that was basically a "finger + nail " with a hole where you put yer real finger in. It was the greatest design for comfort but dull sounding & I can't find out who made them. I'm going to try and making my own where the pick part is right above your real nail.
Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2013 10:54 pm    

Daniel Policarpo wrote:
Maybe you could try using some picks that are not so stiff, like the Dunlop .15 size? I use the .15 on one finger and the .18 on the other and they work really well for the kind of attack I like. It won't take long to get used to once you get them fitted to your finger proper.

Daniel is right, this may be a good way to get used to fingerpicks. Personally I think the heavier gauge picks sound much better, but it might help to start with "light" picks which more closely approximate a "bare finger" feel. As you get used to them, you could gradually "work up" to the heavier gauges should you feel the need.

I use National, (probably the most uncomfortable picks ever) becuse they sound the best to my ears. The Dunlop .025's are close but not quite as "silvery".
Jeff Metz Jr.

York, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2013 11:22 pm     Well I figured em out

I spent a couple days using fingerpicks on my dobro and took that to pedal steel and I am up to 90% speed . It really only took 2 hours on the dobro to get comfortable. Then the rest was transfering it to the smaller string spacing. Im sure glad I kept at it. Its amazing to think that I was about to just throw the picks away. It's SO MUCH better sounding now. And both the dobro and steel are twice as loud! haha Thanks everyone!
BTW If your having trouble using fingerpicks and have a resonator or a nut extender I suggest going that route. It really made a difference to me.

Connecticut, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2013 10:09 am    

I sold my steel and stopped playing for many, many years because I couldn't get used to the picks.
I finally bought another steel and started again and have tried many times to use picks.
They just don't work for me.

I have decided to stay playing "bareback".

If that doesn't make me a "real steel player" then fine.
Whatever I am, I'm enjoying playing again.

Here is "Sleepwalk" on my Fender 400.
No Pedals are used.
Just playing in my "G Hexatonic" tuning.

Also, no finger picks are used.
Just my bare fingertips.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10200924975020574
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2013 12:21 pm    

I was noodling around sans fingerpicks yesterday and my sweetie thought this sounded good.
I prefer picks, but think you CAN get decent tone without em.
I don't think I embarrassed myself badly, so here, have a look at bare fingers (but a blue Herco thumb)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGlVs0CRCD4
David Graves

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2013 3:40 pm    

Jeff, it always will come down to what works best for you and only you. I'm a banjo player first ( alright.. Keep the snickers down to a low roar please ) but I wear my picks a little different than most guys and it may be something worth you trying. I use a very thin brass Dunlop in .013 gauge. But... I wear them deep on both fingers. I roll the picking tip right along the end of my finger so it's almost like a cover plate for my finger tip. Most guys have the tip out a little bit with distance between the pick and the finger tip, but when I try this I get "caught and sloppy." There's no special reason I wear them like this.. It's just how I started when I was 5 and my fingers were so small I had to do this. And that's how I learned and still play this way. I'm not saying its right.. But it's closer to playing "bareback" as far as feel. There is no "extension" to learn to live with. Good luck with what ever you end up doing.