| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  The Epitome Of Delight
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2013 11:54 am    

For what it may be worth, might I suggest building a steel guitar according to your own specs, which may result in experiencing the ultimate delight in playing the instrument? I've personally found this to be true.
Bud Angelotti

Larryville, NJ, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2013 1:13 pm    

I wouldn't have the patience, but I admire someone like yourself that does.
I used to mess around with electric guitar parts & stuff when I was a kid. I'd rather just play 'em.
Hey - after-all, messing and home building 'em is how they have evolved to where-ever they are today!
Keep going Bill!

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2013 2:20 pm    

Same here, I wouldn't have the patience to make my own steel guitar. I have trouble just making my bed in the morning! Shocked Cool
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2013 3:38 pm    

Doug,

Building a steel guitar that is fully equipped definitely calls for several prerequisites on the part of the maker. Of course, musical ability is far more important than a host of other necessary considerations that could become contingencies or proving grounds for new ideas as the work enters into several trial and error phases at the workbench. Building a pedal steel guitar can become a method for a much deeper understanding of the instrument.
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2013 6:06 am    

Apparently the unconventional approach to understanding the importance of a stable musical instrument remains unchanged for nigh on to three quarters of a century. Little acorns grow into mighty oaks in spite of the harsh surroundings. The steel guitar is thriving at the present time in a minimally fertile environment.
Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2013 6:54 am    

"Of course, musical ability is far more important than a host of other necessary considerations that could become contingencies or proving grounds for new ideas as the work enters into several trial and error phases at the workbench. "

I would challenge the idea that musical ability matters when it comes to manufacturing. Some of the most famous and sought after developers of musical instrument have no music ability at all. There is a famous trumpet maker from italy who can't play a note on the trumpet but his horns are some of the most expensive and cherished in the world. One of the most famous violin technicians can't play at all but the most famous violin players in the world come to him for adjustments.
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2013 7:20 am    

Leo Fender didn't play guitar. He started as a radio repairman. Musicians asked him to build PAs, amps, pickups, etc. and the rest is history... lap steels, guitars, basses, amps, pedal steels, reverb units. He surrounded himself with experts who could play guitar and he sought the advice of pro players. What an inventor, what a genius!
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2013 7:55 am    

Bill M.,

Your points made are indeed valid. However, it reminds me of a gentleman violinist who lived in a small town in Monterey, Massachusetts. I was invited by a friend of the musician to join the touted gifted reader of sheet music during a specified practice session. I became a bit anxious as he proceeded to position the preferred selections as he prepared to commence playing his violin. After listening to a few of his favorite selections, I handed him a selection of a simple country melody written note for note. It served to allay my concern over exaggerated claims involving gifted readers of sheet music. I learned from that experience that one should not be too anxious to sell the farm before all the facts are in.
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2013 9:09 am    

I would recommend "Fly Tying" as a hobby for Fly-Fishermen, having caught some nice ones on Fly's I tied myself.
I was really into it when I lived in Montana.
I love to tinker with Steels too, but I'm not set up to build one.
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2013 1:01 pm    

Pete,

We are living in a world overflowing with cheap plastic. Even steel guitars are subject to materials that must be kept from view once covered with Formica. These lesser adaptations save big bucks for manufacturing firms, while detracting from the much heralded pure tones of the steel guitars. The enormous effects of excessive gluing should become a matter of concern.
Dan Behringer

Jerseyville, Illinois
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2013 6:32 pm    

Even though I got my first guitar in 1969, I never had the talent to become a musician. Having spent my life as a Marine Engineer I find the mechanics of the pedal steel easy to understand.
I’ve toyed with the idea of building a pedal steel and even have a few drawings for a all pull changer I’ve come up with that will allow you to remove the fingers without disconnecting any of the pull rods. (It even has the advantage of not having to pull springs when raising a note). Like so many others, I don’t really have the resources to build it.

Last edited by Dan Behringer on 20 Jun 2013 9:39 am; edited 1 time in total
richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2013 11:20 pm    

I designed and built my first few steels for two reasons: to see if my design would work, and because I had no spare cash to buy one.

The first steel was terrible, totally unplayable (this was back in 1984, no internet, and I hadn't discovered the Winnie Winston book, so I knew nothing about pedal steel) but I learned a lot from my mistakes, and I could actually get a tune from my next steel, and the third steel was gigged extensively.

So I agree with Bill H, it is hugely satisfying to design and build a functioning steel Very Happy
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2013 6:13 am    

Richard,

Makeshift mechanical movements can be found in many of the early manufactured pedal steel guitars. A wide range of unstable and unworkable changer mechanisms have been misrepresented through the lack of consumer expertise. There are many advantages to be found by making mechanical changes. Many times the cabinets are fine, while the mechanics are found to be deplorable. Think ACHILLES' HEEL as you explore beneath the pedal steel guitar. Look for stability in a steel guitar that requires less time in maintaining proper string pitches.
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2013 8:57 am    

look for stability in a steel player.
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2013 4:47 am    

One of the most important happenings associated with the pedal steel guitar happens when the search for new ideas culminate into major findings in sound phenomena electronically modified. Certain materials are consistent in blocking musical vibrations resulting in a negative effect by muting a variety of treble tonalities. Measuring such differences can be an interesting study.
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2013 8:53 am    

I would make one so the tops of the strings are all the same height, so downward bar pressure is the same at fret-1 as any other fret.
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2013 10:21 am    

Pete,

Top of the line pickers go about nosing the bar to compensate for the differences you've alluded to. I've frowned upon the technique for several reasons. #1 reason, the technigue makes the "wide-grip" chords impossible to play. The steel guitar is fraught with difficulties, unequal bar pressure not the least of them in terms of management.
Bud Angelotti

Larryville, NJ, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2013 12:21 pm    

Make one for kids.
I'm serious! They make soccer nets, bikes, sports stuff, 6 string guitars, all kinds of stuff for kids.
No, you're not gonna get rich -$$$, but you're not gonna get rich making one for yourself either. Might be cool!

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2013 3:57 pm    

Bud,

"Roses have thorns, so they tell me." Many unproven ideas carry as a rule, and possess unforeseen little "hang-ups that can become as difficult to eradicate as an embedded thorn in a callused hand. Vintage toys command high prices at various flea markets. Who knows how profitable a smaller version of a pedal steel would be should they become marketable?
Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2013 4:50 pm    

Bud Angelotti wrote:
Make one for kids.
I'm serious! They make soccer nets, bikes, sports stuff, 6 string guitars, all kinds of stuff for kids.
No, you're not gonna get rich -$$$, but you're not gonna get rich making one for yourself either. Might be cool!

I have been toying with the idea. Making it so that Daddy can change the height as the kid grows. Pieces of pedal rod that screw into each other, legs that you can lengthen with no problem.
Bud Angelotti

Larryville, NJ, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2013 5:41 pm    

Dang Ben ! I just looked at your photos of your steels. Absolutly beautiful - WOW!
I'd be afraid to even touch one of those with my meathook hands. Smile
What kind of wood do you use? Do you make your metal parts from scratch, have 'em made, or what?
You have quite a gift brother!

Utah, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2013 8:53 pm    

Fools rush in where angels never dare to tread. I accepted the challenge and am still working on the final out-come. It still needs quite a bit of tweeking and some further modifications, to suit my wants It's an S12 with 8 + 10, with an E66 pickup. I have already built a T9 non-pedal console which I have used for over 25 years. It turned out very well, but a pedal guitar is something else. I'm gonna see it through.

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2013 7:19 am    

Thiel,

Thanks for introducing your homemade steel guitar to the forum members. I enjoyed scrutinizing for the first time the end results for hours spent making changes accordingly to bring together the necessary individual parts to produce a fine playable instrument.
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2013 3:12 pm    

Inching through the construction of a homemade pedal steel becomes an arduous underpublicized journey involving persistent dedication to a task more challenging than first thought to be. Copious amounts of forethoughts become routinely resolute to coincide with the developmental schema.
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2013 7:39 pm    

copious man, copious!!