| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Zum Hybrid?
Randy Gilliam

San Antonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2013 1:49 pm    

Never Hear about them. Do the owners like them? How many Hybrids were built? Do they still make them? Thanks Randy G. Question
Bill Lowe

Connecticut
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2013 1:58 pm    

Very Happy

Last edited by Bill Lowe on 26 Mar 2014 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Randy Gilliam

San Antonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2013 2:00 pm     Thanks.

But do you like the sound? What Pick ups? Thanks Bill, You are Very Lucky to have 2. Cool
Bob Blair

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2013 2:00 pm    

I have an SD-10 that I bought from a friend in as-new condition. I have nothing but good things to say about it. Reasonably light, looks great, sounds great and feels great.
Randy Gilliam

San Antonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2013 2:09 pm     Thanks Bob.

Thanks Bob. Very Happy
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2013 2:40 pm    

I played a friends Zum when I was in Kansas City, Mo at their Heartland Steel Guitar Club Jam in May. It had the drop compensator on the E9th neck like the Emmons Legrande III and the changer fingers looked like there was an extra piece on them - I didn't ask but could have been the Hybrid??? We have a couple of Zum's in our Florida SG Club and I don't recall the extra pieces on their changer fingers.

The friend got it from an estate sale from the wife of a Steeler (in Topeka Ks) that had passed away. He said the Zum was the top of the line model.

The guitar had a very good sound and a typical Zum sound. I couldn't really compare it to another Zum - the guy's that have Zum's in our Florida club use different amps and they will sound different.
Hook Moore

South Charleston,West Virginia
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2013 3:17 pm    

I like mine a bunch ! I have single coil Emmons pickups, sounds great !!
Bill Lowe

Connecticut
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2013 3:30 pm    

what Hook said

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2013 4:37 pm    

If the changer had the drop compensators, it wasn't a hybrid. You can get either/or, but not both. I think they are standard on the newer guitars.
Bob Blair

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2013 5:03 pm    

I love my Fessenden D-10's also, and have no intention of letting them go. But since I got it last fall the Zum has seen a lot of use. Very fast to set up, and as I said it is not unreasonably heavy. Nice for the downtown/inner city kinds of gigs I do where load in is a challenge.
john widgren

Wilton CT
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2013 5:24 pm     Zum

I'm with Hook...Hybrid with Emmons P/U on E9...It's a monster guitar in Zebrawood mica! I love it.
widcj@hotmail.com
Robert Parent

Gillette, WY
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2013 4:05 am    

The Zum Hybrid is the best guitar I have ever owned (there have been many others!).

Robert
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2013 7:25 am    

My D-10 Hybrid has TruTone pickups on it and it sounds great to me. I can hear the Emmons p/p growl. Very Happy
Mark Dunn

Suffolk, England
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2013 7:38 am    

The Zum D10 Hybrid works for me... Great guitars - Used one for several years and never had any significant mechanically issues, a really smooth mechanism, parts available and easy to fit if you want to change the copedant and most importantly the tone is consistently superb.

Mark
Tommy Auldridge

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2013 10:37 am     Zum Hybrid

I recently inherited a Zum Hybrid from my brother Mike when he passed away in December 2012... I'd like to play it, but I would have to switch everything over to the Day setup. I've done that probably 8 or 10 times on my own Emmons push pull guitars. I generally take alot of time doing it, but I've done it so many times, it's not so difficult anymore. On the other hand, the Zum Hybrid looks very different and complicated. I guess eventually I'll find the time to take on the challenge, and get it done so I can play it out once in a while. Tommy.....
Hook Moore

South Charleston,West Virginia
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2013 4:50 pm    

Its really no more complicated than your all pull guitars Tommy. Dive in buddy Smile
Tommy Auldridge

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2013 5:47 pm     Zum Hybrid

I don't really have any all pull steel guitars, other than one 1968 Sho-Bud finger tip, and that was already the Day setup when I bought it. Until recently, all my steel guitars are P/P Emmons. And I changed each of those over to the Day setup. The Hybrid looks quite different. I've decided to let Lynn Stafford work it over for me, some day soon.
Tommy.....
Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2013 7:05 am    

I have a D10 Hybrid. It really is something else. It's the one I keep set up at home. Pretty much takes my breath away every time i sit down to practice.

My gigging workhorse is D10 p/p simply because it, too, sounds great and I don't have to worry about adding another ding or nick to it.
Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2013 3:38 pm    

I have a Zum Hybrid and a standard Zum D10 and I can tell you the Hybrid is a very special guitar ... I use mine for most of my show work and all my sessions because it has something a little different from the standard Zum (which is itself an outstanding guitar) ... it is a very subtle difference in tone but it is incredible IMO ..I guess you need to play one for a while and then you will see Very Happy ... no chance I will ever sell the Hybrid, and in fact there's a fair chance I will get another one.
Tommy you should probably get Bruce to change it around for you ... Mike's guitar is the next sequential serial number to mine, and Dag Wolf's - we picked them up at the Dallas show in 2008.

For the uninitiated - here's a pic of the changer end - notice the row of hex screws above the nylon tuners. (Hybrid both necks)

Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Last edited by Paddy Long on 18 Jun 2013 1:33 pm; edited 3 times in total
Randy Gilliam

San Antonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2013 3:47 pm     2006 Zum Hybrid

Got a 2006 D-10 Zum Hybrid On Both Necks Black. Bruce Z. is gonna Change it over for me! Sounds and Plays Like a Dream, Randy G. Very Happy

Randy G.

Last edited by Randy Gilliam on 20 Jun 2013 2:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2013 1:34 pm    

Randy thats a pretty hazy pic of your Zum mate Laughing
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Ned McIntosh

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2013 2:19 pm    

Gotta agree with Paddy, there's a real thick sea-fog obscuring the pic of Randy's hybrid! Laughing
The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.
Duane Brown

Reno,Nevada USA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2013 10:50 pm    

I had been out of touch for years so when I went to Scotty's convention in 2007 Zum Hybrids were new to me. Buddy, John Hughey, Randy Beavers and Larry Sasser were all playing them and I could immediately hear the difference. Bruce was not taking orders due to his backlog,so I bought a great sounding '92 Zum on the forum and I was happy with it. In 2009 Bruce finally built my hybrid (both necks) and with truetone single coils it's the best sounding guitar I have ever owned, bar none. I still love my '68 Emmons but it's retired and the Hybrid does 99% of my work with the all pull Zum picking up the rest.

Bruce Zumsteg is one of the most knowledgable men I've ever known and his expertise was invaluable in guiding me into the right choices of new changes,etc.
Randy Gilliam

San Antonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2013 6:52 pm     How Many Hybrids?

How many Hybrids Were Built? Apparently Not Enough, I Got 3 Buyers For mine If I Decide to Sell it! Bruce Z , Build Some More! Cool
Per Berner

Skovde, Sweden
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2013 9:56 pm    

...well, I've been offered $1500 more than what I paid for mine brand new... Not selling!