| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Arkansas: Steeling The Gospel Showcase
Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2013 5:00 pm    

What a great time we had in McGehee,Arkansas at the first Gospel Showcase. I met so many people and made some new friends. Got to play the jam Friday evening and everyone got a slot on Saturday. My wife and I had a blast being at the show. Thanks to Country Jack for all the hard work he put into this and for the invitation to play. I feel blessed to have been a part of this event. And playing a church service Sunday morning just added more icing to the cake.
Billy Henderson

Portland, AR, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2013 6:56 pm     Steelin the Gospel

Paul it was a pleasure meeting you and hearing you play. You are a gentlemen and great musician.
Jack Harper

Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2013 8:45 pm    

hey guy's, thanks so much for making this trial run such a success, as a first-time ever event.it's not me, it's you, the 12 players that made this work. from now on, i will call you guy's the 12 apostles!
i knew that no-one had a clue what i was talking about when i put this together and that i would really need 8 steel guitar players to give it the effect that it needed. thank you billy henderson for being the 1st on board and paul king and terry wood. it scared me when you guy's inquired so positive and then confirmed.coming from so far, about equal distances in opposite directions! and suddenly terry sneed got word of it and sent word, don't do this show without me, especially at "the shed". bobby ray didn't bat an eye and volunteered as piano too! as did floyd arbuckle as steel and lead guitar. suddenly charlie moore had an open afternoon, before a stage show that night and said he's comin' and then jimmy lewis was comin' along too, then, arvis moore, said, he was comin' regardless and then, dale stacey, odell burgess and danny lyles came as a travel team, to finish out the 12 player slots.
unfortunately, bill stafford and rudy osborne had to bow out, due to valid issues at the last minute, but what a show we had. and the back-up was tremendous, especially how that all fell in place and came together.thank you bobby ray, floyd arbuckle, seth hayes, michael mcfall and phillip payne and jeremy for puttin' such a group together "on the spot"
a special thanks to terry sneed, who brought the group "heartland", what a professional touch! these guy's went all out to make terry "shine" and the crowd was in awe of it. and did terry shine!
a near capicity crowd all day, could not believe what they were witnessing, no-one had ever seen anything like this before and when can they see it again was overheard over and over.
by 3 o-clock, i was told that i could announce that this is the 1st annual and that the 2nd annual steelin' the gospel steel guitar showcase will be the 2nd saturday in june, 2014.
and so, my thank's to, the 12 apostles, you did it!

country jack
Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2013 2:22 am    

Jack, Being over 50 my memory is not as sharp as what it used to be. Thanks for all the names of players and musicians that helped. Thanks Billy for the kind words. I enjoyed hearing everyone and meeting some fine folks at the show. I hope to be back next year.
Terry Sneed

Arkansas,
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2013 6:47 am     'Steelin the Gospel'

Thanks Country Jack for the kind words. I really enjoyed meeting everbody, hearing all the great steel playing, and getting to play with the Hacketts Sat night. Thanks to all the musicians that played.
Billy, good to see you again, hang on to that great sounding Zum. Paul it was great to meet you,enjoyed your playin and hope to see ya again next year. And I was glad to see Charlie Moore, Jimmy Lewis and Dale Stacey again, hadn't seen em since the Fisk in Oak Grove. Great job playin guys. And appreciate all the rest of the steel players that I got to meet and hear play.
Country Jack and Bobby Ray, and all the folks that worked hard, and spent a lot of time gettin this Gospel pickin together, your very much appreciated. I do think we should have had more Arkie steel players at the pickin though, since it was held in AR. Maybe next year. Pete Walthal, it was good to see ya again buddy, and lookin forward to hearing you play next year. Tried to get Pete to play a few songs on my set, but couldn't talk him in to it. Smile
God bless all. Terry
Terry Wood

Lebanon, MO
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2013 10:45 am    

Hi Jack Harper and Everyone,

Zane and I had a blast at the First Gospel Steel and Singin' down there in Arkansas.

Everyone was so talented playing and singing and just friendly. This was just great and it's nice to fellowship with brothers and sisters in Christ!

Zane and I hope to come back and play again. Don't forget us, we will be having our 3rd Annual Gospel Steel and Singin Show here in Southwest, Missouri during late October 2013.

Thanks and GOD bless everyone!

Terry and Zane Wood
Bobby D. Ray

Madison, Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2013 6:22 pm     I Had A Blast Too!

It was sure nice to participate in this program ... I had a great time! It was nice to visit with some familiar pickers and to meet some new guys too. I hope everyone can put June 13 and June 14, 2014 on their calendars for next year's program. And I hope to see many of you at other events in the meantime! Thanks again to Country Jack and everyone else for making this a fun weekend!
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2013 7:33 am    

It would be fun to see some pictures. Very Happy
Jack Harper

Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2013 1:43 am    

erv;
that's a good idea!
i will try to find some of those that were takin' pictures and get them to share 'em on the forum.
there were several with flashes goin off thru-out the day and lots' of fone shots being made.
for once, the biggest part of the audience had never seen such before and i heard many comments about how, "if i had known it would have been like this, i'd brought my camera" and "so thats a steel guitar"
anybody, got any pictures? share 'em here.....

country.....
Bobby D. Ray

Post  Posted 12 Jun 2013 5:12 pm     Steelin' The Gospel Pictures

Bobby D. Ray

Post  Posted 12 Jun 2013 5:13 pm    

Bobby D. Ray

Post  Posted 12 Jun 2013 5:14 pm    

Bobby D. Ray

Post  Posted 12 Jun 2013 5:15 pm    

Bobby D. Ray

Post  Posted 12 Jun 2013 5:16 pm    

Bobby D. Ray

Post  Posted 12 Jun 2013 5:18 pm    

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2013 2:25 am    

Thanks Bobby for posting the pictures here. For those who do not know Bobby is playing the MSA steel guitar and the keyboard. I am the one on the black Emmons LeGrande III all bent over. When I first saw the pictures I could not believe the way I was sitting but I remembered the lights were shining down and I have a chrome fret board, therefore it was difficult to see the frets. That is Country Jack in the overalls with the small guitar, Danny Lyles with glasses playing lead guitar and he also plays a mean steel as well. The other lead player is Rev. Phillip Payne and his son Jeremiah on bass guitar. I am sorry I just do not remember the names of the other musicians.
Jack Harper

Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2013 5:22 am    

and on piano, to the right of bobby ray is kenny rivers and seth hayes on drums with floyd arbuckle, also a steeler, on a b-bender telecaster.

country.......
Andy Jones

Mississippi
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2013 5:30 am    

Country Jack,I hated to miss the show.My wife scheduled a trip to Gulf Shores,AL at the last minute,with both my daughters,grandchildren,and my mother.It was the first time we were all able to be together in a long time,so I couldn't miss it.

From all accounts I've heard it was an excellent show.I plan on going next year,the Lord willing.

Hope to see you soon.

Andy
Terry Wood

Lebanon, MO
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2013 2:52 pm    

This was a great show and I recommend that anyone who did not get a chance to attend to put it on their calendar for next year June 2014.

Great bunch of guys and gals and just super fun!

Praising GOD and fellowship with great people!

Terry and Zane Wood