| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What is a Lil' Izzy ?
David Hartley

Post  Posted 30 May 2013 8:52 pm    

I can't find much on the forum about them..

David...
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 30 May 2013 10:01 pm    

It's another impedance matching buffer, like the Sarno Freeloader or Goodrich Matchbox.
Since you use a Telonics volume pedal, I'm not sure you'd see a huge change if you added one. Those running the passive pedals will see greater string separation and clarity.
I won't run into solid state without one. The Izzy is my favorite buffer. Run them since 82.

PS: Sylvia's Mother
John Walden

Simi Valley, California, USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2013 5:39 pm     BB vs Li'l Izzy

Does the Li'l Izzy do the same thing as a Black Box ?

Rains SD-10
Emmons SD-12 PP
Sho-Bud LDG
Fender Twin w/ JBL's
Mesa Boogie Mark IV x 2
Peavey 112 w/Knob-Guards x 2
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 31 May 2013 6:03 pm    

If a Black Box didn't also give tubal goodness. That's why I mentioned the Freeloader.
The Freeloader is, AFAIK, strictly a buffer.
The Izzy is simpler, but does the job well
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2013 4:34 am    

I used to have one of the original Lil Izzy models. It was basically an op amp buffer, that provided constant impedence load to the pickup and converted the output to a low impedence signal. The original model was potted and when the op amp went bad it couldn't be repaired.

Many devices available do this, today, including what has been previously listed; a Hilton Volume pedal does this (along with volume control). Many "stomp box" effects also do this function.

I have one of the original model Goodrich MatchBro's and it does this function (in bypass and when "on").
Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2013 7:51 am    

Jack's description of it being a buffer is correct. However none of the other mentioned buffers sound anything like an Izzy to my ear. It seems to enhance the lost high end edge of the bass strings, due to normal pickup loading from a pot pedal. I have a friend using one on a hum-bucking pickup and that is where it really shines! I think it is a great solution to get the muddy tones out a hum-bucking pickup. IMHO.
Scott Denniston

Hahns Peak, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2013 8:28 pm    

1st there was the Lil Izzy then the Izzy Plus and then the Lil Wonder. The Wonder has one input and two outs and you can switch the effect on/off for each out. I used to run one channel off and just mix in some highs on the other. That way keeping the original tone and adding some crispness. There is a gain and a frequency knob so you can pretty easily dial in the amount of highs you want. I still have the Lil Wonder but will put it up for sale this week (time allowing) cause I'm just not using it these days. These are very effective though. I read on another post that Baker will be reintroducing the Lil Izzy soon.
David Hartley

Post  Posted 5 Jun 2013 1:20 am     I tried my Lil Issy on Saturday....

I don't know what it does, but it does it well, I tried a few songs with and without it, and ended up using it all night.

Even with the Telonics pedal, it seemed to being doing its job.

Craig is building these again I think, and sent me mine to try.

For the small price, and small physical size, it's worth having one..

I will show it to you all on a YouTube vid soon.
Craig Baker

Eatonton, Georgia, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2013 5:56 am    

Thank you David,

Your comments are greatly appeciated. Certainly there are many excellent products on the market these days. Compliments about Li'l Izzy from the top players, such as yourself, are taken seriously and gratefully. Wish I could have been there Saturday to hear you play.

Again, thank you David, and best regards,
Craig Baker

706-485-8792

cmbakerelectronics@gmail.com

C.M. Baker Electronics
P.O. Box 3965
Eatonton, GA 31024
Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2013 6:00 am    

Craig, looks like it a winner all over again! Sure glad we talked about getting this back into production. Handy as it can be, easy to use and a great addition the one's sound arsenal.
Craig Baker

Post  Posted 5 Jun 2013 6:25 am    

Thank you Ken.
As you know, today's players have far more knowledge and talent than in the earlier days, but supporting them, there are people like yourself, Brad Sarno, Keith Hilton, Tim Marcus, and Telonics, all making excellent products that allow today's players to sound wonderful. Notes like yours or David's makes coming back the second time around feel pretty good.

Thank you Ken, for being such an encourager.

Craig Baker

706-485-8792

C.M. Baker Electronics
P.O. Box 3965
Eatonton, GA 31024

Last edited by Craig Baker on 3 Jul 2013 3:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2013 7:20 am    

Craig if one is using a Hilton will the LL make a difference?

Larry Behm

Phone: 971-219-8533
Craig Baker

Post  Posted 5 Jun 2013 9:04 am    

Hi Larry,
Interesting question. The real advantage of Li'l Izzy comes from using it directly at the pickup. It only takes a short piece of even the very best guitar cord to roll off the overtones that create such a pleasing sound. Turning up the treble artificially adds highs, along with whatever noise and hiss is in the system, but it can't replace the lost purity and string separation. Plugging right into the pickup, before a guitar cord can dull the sound, is why Li'l Izzy is so effective. We need to protect the integrity of the guitar's sound before guitar cords do their damage. Without a Li'l Izzy right at the guitar, active pedals can only help preserve what remains.

Incidentally, a standard 500,000 ohm pot pedal, connected to even a low impedance source, will develop at least 125,000 ohms output impedance while going through it's range. Now we're back at high impedance, rolling off even more highs. This is why we have always recommended coming out of a pot volume pedal directly into another Li'l Izzy in order to retain the guitar's full sound. By doing so, you instantly convert your pot pedal into an active pedal, with no power supply needed.

If you have invested in a great guitar and a great amplifier, plugging in a Li'l Izzy definitely lets you get your money's worth!

Thank you again Larry, good hearing from you
Craig Baker

706-485-8792

C.M. Baker Electronics
P.O. Box 3965
Eatonton, GA 31024
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2013 9:36 am    

How much does the new Lil' Izzy cost?
Craig Baker

Post  Posted 5 Jun 2013 10:18 am     Li'l Izzy cost

Pete,
Just sent you a P.M.

Craig
Scott Denniston

Hahns Peak, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2013 6:50 pm    

I'm wondering why Craig didn't go with the Lil Wonder. It was kind of the last evolution of the Izzy. I had all three (Izzy,Izzy Plus,and Wonder) and I liked the Wonder the most I think because of the ability to mix in as much or as little to taste. The Wonder is the Izzy as I understand it but with more options (two channels). I don't know that having the Izzy plugged right into the guitar jack made much if any difference from the wonder that sat on the floor. The Wonder was the same sound to my ear but you could also send one of the channels out without it if preferred. By the way I'm wondering (pun intended) if anyone here had the Lil Wonder & also what Craig might have to say about it. Don't get me wrong I thought the Izzy was great..that's why I bought it's successors. I never hear about the other two though. Anybody tried them?
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2013 7:13 pm    

Scott, I've had two Izzy Plus and two Lil' Izzies. I loved the added effect of the Plus if You're gonna run through a volume pedal loop like the Session 500. Great fuzztone by diming it and saturating the input, then throttling it back in the volume pedal. Hartley Peavey might not have meant it that way, but had good sound.

Last edited by Lane Gray on 6 Jun 2013 3:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Craig Baker

Post  Posted 5 Jun 2013 9:24 pm    

Scott,
So you're the guy with the Li'l Wonder. I knew there still had to be one somewhere. Honestly, I don't even think I have one around here anymore. Li'l Wonder came along in the early 1980s. It was one of several products we offered back then. Another was a box called "Hear~Here", a headphone practice amp that performed very well when many didn't. Jeff Newman bought 50 of them for his seminars and classes. Other than Jeff's order, we didn't sell enough of the Hear~Here or Li'l Wonder units to make it worthwhile. Li'l Izzy was a different story. Over the years, we've continued to get requests for Li'l Izzy. Hence the comeback. Please know, Scott, that your praise of the products and your support in purchasing them was, and remains appreciated. I always try to keep the wheels turning and who knows, with so many products on the market these days, a new Li'l Wonder, or it's cousin might show up one day. Thanks for planting the seed Scott.

Lane,
Always enjoy your posts. Someday, I'm going to put a couple of diodes across the output of an Izzy Plus and see if we can create a fuzz unit in a blue box. Come to think of it, since everybody loves tubes, perhaps we should put together a quality tube preamp and run the output through an OZ4. Anybody remembers that tube? I'll put that off for right now since we have invested heavily in 9 volt batteries.

All the best to you both,

Craig
Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2013 4:23 am    

Craig,
Here's a thought? Why don't you build a volume pedal with the 'Lil Izzy in it?

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!
Craig Baker

Post  Posted 6 Jun 2013 6:04 am     Volume Pedal?

Hi Scott,
Thank you for your note. We've been asked similar questions since the early days; "Why don't you build Li'l Izzy right into the guitar?" etc. Several answers come to mind. The first answer is purely selfish. It's hard to describe the pleasure of watching Buddy Emmons, Doug Jernigan, Thumbs Carllile, Jimmy Day, Paul Franklin, Herby Wallace and others playing on the main stage at St. Louis, with a little blue box plugged into their guitar. (Incidentally, the "great" Bill Lawrence came over to our table and scolded me, saying that Li'l Izzy should be burgundy with gold lettering.) I reminded him how well that blue box showed-up from the stage, but I couldn't tell if his pickup was on anybody's guitar or not.

2, If a problem develops with a unit, you simply unplug it and you're back in business to finish the performance.

3, The portability is a great benefit to those with more than one guitar, pedal, etc. Also, it comes in handy when another player asks "can I try it?"

Certainly I am biased Scott, In my mind, everybody needs at least one Li'l Izzy. Some people may need two, but there are plenty of excellent pedals already out there. If a particular pedal has a good "feel" a player will probably find it comfortable, like an old pair of shoes. Since you've already invested in the pedal that you like, if tone loss is the only problem, that's easy to correct; convert it into an active pedal with a Li'l Izzy. Hope this explains our logic.

Thank you Scott, for taking time to write.

Best regards,
Craig Baker

706-485-8792

C.M. Baker Electronics
P.O. Box 3965
Eatonton, GA 31024

Last edited by Craig Baker on 6 Jun 2013 7:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2013 6:38 am    

All very good points. Sometimes, modular is better!

Kinda like me as Tech Director for my church... "They will get my analog mixing board when the pry it from my cold dead hands!"

Something tells me, I may get ruled out by technology! (haha)

I'll keep your little box in mind! PM me with price if you don't mind...

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!
Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2013 9:37 am    

Does it use a battery? Or is it passive?

Post  Posted 6 Jun 2013 10:21 am    

Hi Tom,
Thank you for your question. It uses a standard 9 volt battery. . . . . . . very slowly.

Best regards,
Craig Baker

706-485-8792

C.M. Baker Electronics
P.O. Box 3965
Eatonton, GA 31024
Jack Ritter

Enid, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2013 11:03 am     Just got my L'il Izzy

About 2 hrs ago and I am truly amazed and extremely pleased with the clean note separation and the great balance with the highs and lows and just the over-all sound it has given me. I had to make myself get up from my Zum or I would be after it all afternoon! Played it thru my Cube 80 and anxious to try my N 112 next. I really like this Izzy and fwiw, I bet if you get one, you will also.
Great unit, Craig, and nice to meet you and thanx for the great service.
Regards, Jack

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2013 12:11 pm    

Regarding battery life: gigging 2 nights a week with an Izzy Plus with a BIT of gain, unplugging between sets most of the time, battery life was easily 6 months. So long that you forget you have one.