| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  ? for steelers 50's - 60's
James Schroeder

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2006 5:51 am    

Do any of you players remember a West Virginia fiddle player by the name of Curly Reynolds? I believe he played on the Opry for a short time possibly the late 50's. I played in a 3 piece band with him in the late 70's early 80's and am interested in hearing info and stories about him.

Thanks

Jim
Paul Norman

Washington, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2006 12:11 pm    

I didnt know Curly but did you play on WRVA
Richmond, Va. radio 50 s. Sunshine Sue had a
program. Fiddle player named Irvin Gurganus.
John Bechtel

Nashville, Tennessee, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2006 9:38 pm    

I worked for Fiddle Champion ‘Curley’ Herdman from Ripley, W. Va. in the very early ’60's, but; he then lived in Pa. at the time and we worked the Wheeling Jamboree occasionally! I guess both being “Curley” would be the wrong end of the name to be related!

------------------
“Big John”
a.k.a. {Keoni Nui}
n.t.s.g.a. #90
’05 D–10 Derby
’65 Re-Issue Fender Twin–Reverb Custom™ 15”
Current Equipment
Lee Allen

Manitowoc,Wi.
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2006 8:46 am    

Hi! Jim; The last I heard about Curly
he was playing the local watering holes.
I too played with him back in the 70's
I think he passed away a number of years
ago. I heard at the time his liver went
bad.Thats the last I saw or heard from
him.He could play a good lead guitar also.

[2] Sho~Buds and a sore back!
LEE ALLEN
James Schroeder

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2006 4:20 pm    

Paul: Thanks for reply. I never played in W. Virgina, in fact I have lived in Wis. my whole life exept for a stint in the army 1960-1962.

John: Thanks for your reply also.

Lee: I didn't know that you had played with Curly. Our band was Joe Shepard, Curly and myself. We played a lot at the Zwei Herzen in Sheboygan and also the Executive Inn in Sheboygan. The last time I talked with Curly he was living in a very small apartment in Green Bay. I believe he died about a year after that.

Thank

Jim
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2013 11:05 am     Received via email

Received via email:
Quote:
I was doing an internet search for an old bandmate named Curly Reynolds and came upon this old thread reprinted below from 3/21/06 in your steel guitar forum. I tried to respond but see I have to join in order to respond. Since I’m not a steel guitar player there is little reason for me to join so I was hoping you would pass this info along to James Schroeder.

I played with Curly for several weeks (6 nights per week) at the old Palladium (think it was spelled Playdium) Lounge in Sheboygan, WI back in 1963 with a group called the JoLynn Quartet. I believe Curley had just finished a tour of U.S. Air Force bases since he mentioned few he had played at that time. I remember he had some kind of twist-loc quick disconnect wired into his fiddle and guitar that allowed him to switch instruments rather quickly without unplugging or muting the amp. With Curly we did songs like “Listen to the Mockingbird” – he’d do bird calls with the fiddle, “Orange Blossom Special” – Curly would make the fiddle sound like a train, and he’d sing songs like “I Got My Education Out Behind the Barn”. I remember him also as a pretty good guitar player on a blond thick-bodied electric similar to Super 400 Gibson.

Maybe 15 years ago I played at a jam session at a friend’s home in Plymouth, WI and managed to talk with, and play a few tunes with, Curly’s son who was living in the local area at that time.

Rob Maertz
Manitowoc, WI