| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jeff Newman tuning
Jim Hoke

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2013 6:41 pm    

When I recently bought my ETS steel from Al Brisco (which is a fine instrument) he sent a tuning chart of the Jeffran tuning scheme, for all the strings and pedals. I'd been doing alright w/ a mostly everything-straight-up method. Well, I tuned it the Newman way, and.....WOW. It sounds SO GOOD. Every chord is so right. The only thing I changed is he says to tune the F#'s a cent sharp. That makes the minor chord with pedals A & B (5,6 and7 or 1, 5 and 6) not work, 'cause the 5 w/ pedal A is tempered down. I just tune the F#'s straight up and everything works. Anybody not satisfied w/ their tuning might want to check this out.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 27 May 2013 3:55 am    

There are many tuning threads on the forum. And many (mostly positive) about the Newman tunings.

When I first got a tuner I was tuning everything to "0" and people told me I was out of tune. I got the Newman chart, back in the 70's, and started using it and no one ever told me I was out of tune after that.
Jim Mathis

Overland Park, Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2013 4:14 pm    

Jack, It was nice to meet you on Sunday. You sounded in tune to me. Thanks for coming.

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 28 May 2013 2:14 am    

Darn. I wish I'd been able to make it.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 28 May 2013 4:29 am    

That was a good jam, Sunday. Just about the right number of steels for a jam. Thanks for letting me join in and to Ray Uhl for letting me use his Zum.

Sitting beside Jerry Foster kept things "interesting" too (LOL).
Jerry Foster

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2013 9:36 am     steel players

I want to thank everyone for a really fun time at the KC Jam Sunday, Jack Stoner was making that ZUM HUM. Laughing & Chuck A. had his ZUM. smoking, Laughing & Brian J. with his ZUM.always Sounds Great. it was Good to see & Here everyone There. Ray U. & Kenny Burferd was there & it was Great to see them. Hope to see everyone at the Next Jam. Take Care & God Bless. Jerry F.
Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 29 May 2013 11:35 am     Px300

Jerry, did you get that rig set up to your liking. Sure would like a couple pictures of how your using it. Dick Sexton...
Dwight Lewis

Huntsville, Alabama
Post  Posted 29 May 2013 4:34 pm     Jeff Newman tuning

I would like to get and study the Jeff Newman tuning. How can I get this? Thanks

Dwight
ijaash@yahoo.com

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2013 5:29 pm     amp setup

Hi Dick; yes I got the perfect setup at least to me. I got a Roland cube 80 x amp. & a Peavey PX 300 power speaker & it is awesome, Very Happy the amazing thing is, that the little Roland cube 80 amp is really all a person needs, it has all the effects & tone by its self. I use it on all my Gigs. I hope this helps you Dick, hope to see you some time. your picking friend Jerry F.
Jim Bates

Alvin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2013 6:01 pm    

I'm confused - you "tuned a cent sharp"? Did you mean that you tuned to A=441?

Thanx,
Jim
Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 29 May 2013 6:35 pm    

Dwight, Jeff's tuning charts are here:

http://www.jeffran.com/tuning.php
bill dearmore

Belton,Tx.,USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2013 4:27 pm    

I think you really need compensaators for the F#'s to get it sounding really right. I personally tune the open F#'s 4 cents sharp and compensate both with my "B" pedal to 15 cents flat. Very satisfying...BD
Jim Bates

Alvin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2013 7:25 pm    

For clarification:

A=441 = ~440 + 5 cents sharp

Thanx,
Jim
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2013 9:01 pm    

Just about every tuner has a dial calibrated in cents. I got frustrated by the Newman chart because MOST tuners don't have a dial calibrated in Cycles off 440. So unless you had one of his tuners, you would have to either convert the numbers or recalibrate the tuner for every note.
Tony Williamson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2013 4:11 am    

you mean ya'll dont tune by ear? i tune fifths first, then the major or minor thirds that are bracketed by the fifths. i usually tune fifths or fourth intervals true. i will fudge with the 3rd, but i cant stand a 4th or 5th to be out. im not as good as i used to be. i have never used a tuner. maybe it would make life easier!

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2013 7:16 am    

Tony, to speed up tuning, or to do it quietly, folks have programmed their tuners to reflect how far off from standard each note is. But they always use someone else's numbers. Since each guitar has its own cabinet drop, it makes sense to: tune by ear; write down each note's deviation; program the tuner with the values from that guitar.
Jack Aldrich

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2013 12:33 pm    

Lane Gray wrote:
Just about every tuner has a dial calibrated in cents. I got frustrated by the Newman chart because MOST tuners don't have a dial calibrated in Cycles off 440. So unless you had one of his tuners, you would have to either convert the numbers or recalibrate the tuner for every note.

Lane - the first Korg tuner I bought in 1977 had a meter that was scaled in cycles off 440. I took my first Jeff seminar that year and got his tuning chart at the seminar. He said, if I recall correctly, that he and Buddy Emmons generated it from Buddy's harmonic tuning method to cut the tuning time by a huge amount. Then it appeared in Scotty's E9 book that year or the next. It has both cycles off 440 and cents. - Jack
Rickenbacher B6
3 Resonator guitars
Asher Alan Akaka Special SN 6
Canopus D8
Bo Legg

Post  Posted 2 Jun 2013 5:26 pm    

With Newman it mainly depends on the rest of the band .
Some nites right on and other nites no place on the steel that sounded right.
With Newman I sounded good by myself except for the A pedal F lever major chord where that G# string was such a clam that I couldn't even use that position.
It’s seems laughable to tune in .5 Hz’s when realistically if the whole band is within 1.5 Hz of one another on any given note or chord it would be a miracle.
I just found it impossible to be in tune with a piano using that tuning Those flat 3rds will bit you in places.
I have not seen a tuning that you didn’t have to fudge the bar in places to sound close to being in tune.
Then again maybe I'm just old and grumpy and nothing sounds in tune or out of tune.
Paul Redmond

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2013 12:33 am    

Dwight - Please keep in mind that Jeff's "shaded" tuning depends upon a bit of inherent cabinet drop. When I built my first Whitney, which had no cabinet drop whatsoever, all the settings in his tuning were out of whack. So start there, but then evaluate those pulls very closely.....then write it all down for that guitar!!! Jeff himself told me that his tuning chart could not possibly apply to ALL guitars, as every guitar had a different degree of cabinet drop.
PRR