| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  D8 or D6? Advantages
Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2013 6:53 am    

From a players perspective, how much use do you get with the extra strings on a D8? I have 2 six string lap steels with C6 and E tunings. Your take?
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2013 7:30 am    

Those two extra strings really come in handy when you play tunings with added notes like C6th, A6th, B11th, or C#m7th. It extends your range.
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 May 2013 9:57 am     In response.................

What Erv says is largely true........

However, I've found that the C6th/A7th tuning can provide one with everything needed for melody playing. I'm now playing my seven string with the same tuning and the bottom string does give me a little extra: E C A G E C# C
David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2013 1:08 pm    

There's no downside, to my way of thinking. It certainly seems easier to play things in the correct keys when you have more choice of bass notes. I guess if the only thing you were doing was playing melody lines over a band, they might just be in the way, but most of us spend a lot of time alone, trying to play with ourselves. Maturely.... Laughing
Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2013 6:40 pm     Thanks Erv and Ray

Thanks for the info, I am struggling with the desire to buy a dual 8 string, but wanted to somehow justify my cause. I was sure the extended range is nice to have but wanted a more experienced players take on this. You guys are not making it easy. Looks like I will have to man up and buy something. I respect your opinions.
Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2013 6:45 pm     Dave stated "more choices."

As Dave noted, more choices for bass notes. Since retirement I do more playing alone to tracks, etc. What is the favored scale length?
Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2013 6:48 pm    

Larry, you can always string up an 8 string guitar with 6 strings...obviously the opposite isn't a possibility.

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2013 6:12 am    

I can't speak about playing them, but know this - you will have a much harder time selling a D6 when you get tired of it, because everyone thinks they need 8 strings.
Bill Hampton

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2013 8:02 am    

I come from a dobro background so I like to have the 5th note on top. When I do this with 6 strings in a 6th tuning, I lose the root on the bottom -- so I like to have at least 7 strings.
The narrower string spacing of an 8 string is a difficult adjustment for me though.
Tony Russell

North of England
Post  Posted 30 May 2013 4:23 am    

Bill Hampton wrote:
I come from a dobro background so I like to have the 5th note on top. When I do this with 6 strings in a 6th tuning, I lose the root on the bottom -- so I like to have at least 7 strings.
The narrower string spacing of an 8 string is a difficult adjustment for me though.

Ahh Bill - I come from a pedal steel background (using the fifth on top in C6th) and also can't work easily with less than 7 strings! Seems to be a theme here whichever direction you're going or coming! I use both a 7 and and 8 string dobro. Whoa! but not at the same time Laughing