| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  If ONLY all country music was like this.....
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 8 May 2013 8:22 am    

....I think I'd like it a lot more than I do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ybA-OW2KIE

I know this has probably been posted a hundred times before but this - particularly JayDee's part - is simply exhilarating. A slight blunder in the guitar solo but the energy stays high.

Great music and really great suits!!!

Edited to say: This isn't a complaint about so-called modern country (some of which is quite good - sort-of pop rather than country but not always bad) but country music in general - and I'm including the last thirty years. This is far from maudlin and has so much spirit!

Last edited by Roger Rettig on 8 May 2013 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Calvin Walley

colorado city colorado, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2013 8:28 am    

couldn't agree more

Mullen SD-10 /nashville 400
gotta love a Mullen!!!

Guitars that i have owned in order are :
Mullen SD-10,Simmons SD-10,Mullen SD-10,Zum stage one,Carter starter,
Sho-Bud Mavrick
Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2013 8:51 am    

Oh man! Get's my vote. I think original was Del Reeves.
Bob Knight

Bowling Green KY
Post  Posted 8 May 2013 9:40 am    

Ron,
The original was by Orville Couch(writer) 1963.

Bob Smile
Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2013 9:45 am    

Thought maybe Buck Owens originally...But agree with Roger...I saw this little video the other day with Jason Alden and talking a bit about this "New" sound we're all hearing and saying that its bringing more people into listening to Country Music...I don't know...it seems to me that if Country Music is morphing to something new then can you still call it country...You can like the Taylor Swift type of music, and that's fine, but call it Country???...Bach, Mozart and Beethoven, Metalica Nirvana...It's all good according to ones taste, but lets call Classical Classical and Rock Rock, and Metal or Hip Hop, Metal or Hip Hop, and lets call Country Country!!!... Cool
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 May 2013 10:04 am    

right roger. this stuff is so fun and jd always seems to play right on the edge..doing it his way with no concern to anyone else's style.

everytime i see this stuff or john hughey with conway in their twitty birds suits, i want to be them.

unique personal style that created the legacy of ass kickin' honky tonk music!
Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2013 10:59 am    

I like Chris and Herb's reactions to Jorgenson's stumble. Reminds me of many an onstage moment. Nice to know it happens at the highest level too!
Charles Curtis

Post  Posted 8 May 2013 12:01 pm    

Jay Dee Maness, IMO, none better, and one of the greatest guys I've ever known.
Gus York

Devon, UK
Post  Posted 8 May 2013 12:23 pm     desert rose band

Hi Rog-How are you doin' ?

That's the way it should be - on the cusp-and no doubt different every night they played !
A little birdie tells me JDM is at the Irish Steel Festival this year-that's an appointment I'm not missing !

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 8 May 2013 12:36 pm    

Hello, Gus - it's been a long, long time! I'm well, thanks, and staying nice and busy.

I love JayDee - not just his wonderful playing but his warm and pleasant demeanour. He's truly one of the very best ever and, although it was Buddy on Ray Charles' 'Wichita Lineman' that drove me to wanting to play steel, JayDee's 'Muddy Mississippi Line' on Suite Steel gave me an impossible standard to try and attain - I still find that track really exciting.

He came to Naples a few years ago playing with Vince Gill - I approached the stage and dared to engage him in conversation before the show while he was checking his tuning and he couldn't have been nicer! He was kind enough to say that he knew my name from the Forum and made me feel like an old pal... Surprised
Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2013 12:39 pm    

Absolutely, Roger. I grew up during the "country rock" years and the Desert Rose Band seemed to me like the natural progression of what 70's Flying Burrito Brothers, Byrds, Gram Parsons, early Eagles etc should be like with 20 years more "polish": super harmonies, instrumentation, great suits(!), and kickin' steel guitar. Jay Dee, Mike Sigler, and Larry Sasser come to mind as guys that just step up and let it rip with big confident steel solos. I saw Albert Lee and John Jorgenson on tour together several years ago...the addition of Jay Dee to that pairing would have been perfect.
Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2013 12:53 pm    

Dale Rottacker wrote:
....talking a bit about this "New" sound we're all hearing and saying that its bringing more people into listening to Country Music...)

I agree with Dale. I realize music changes with generations, but there is SO much out there which is called "country" and is anything but. I recall talking with a woman I knew, and saying I could appreciate the popularity of the song "Save a Horse" but it wasn't country. She was quite confused, and said it was about a horse and cowboy, of course it was country. My reply was to ask her if the hefty woman with Viking horns was on stage singing about a tractor in a high strong voice, did that change it from opera to country?

What makes me sad is not that some people prefer what is called country today, but rather that there are fewer and fewer places to go hear songs like those by Desert Rose Band in Roger's original post. Some of us still prefer that music, regardless of what you call it.
Gus York

Devon, UK
Post  Posted 8 May 2013 2:20 pm     Jay Dee Manus

Hi again Rog- Glad to hear your well and busy ! Still hob nobin' with the greats I see! I'm drooling at the thought of seeing JD in person soon-sigh!

'Bout time you posted some of your steel sounds for all to hear ?? Your too good to keep them all to yourself - don't be shy ! Hah! Gus.

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 May 2013 3:26 pm    

i get the feeling that jd and jorgenson and a few others i respect are playing whatever comes to mind at any instant as opposed to a 'worked out' part. this is what i've always liked to hear and is the only way i know how to play, being as undisciplined as i am.
of course a few signature licks for certain songs are handy to know.
i urge players who practice to learn the fretboard for paths to take rather than stiffly inserting 'the lick they learned' into the song.
the more 'paths' you know, the more possibility for cool licks to spontaneously combust.
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 8 May 2013 3:32 pm    

Yes, although there's just enough 'structure' to elevate this piece - for example, guitar and steel do a mutually agreed twin part on the chorus after the solos.

By and large, though, it's by the seat of their pants and all the better for it. I haven't enjoyed anything in this genre quite as much since the days of Emmy's Hot Band!

Making it up as we go along isn't the only way to play but it certainly is fun, isn't it?
Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 8 May 2013 4:00 pm    

Love me some Desert Rose...Jay Dee's ride is a little bit like what he played in the studio,and John's is very close to the original.I didn't know Herb sang lead on that tune.Always thought it was Chris.Great band,great players,great song.Thanks,Roger!
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 May 2013 4:21 pm    

that's another good point, roger. just one simple little twin lick at specific points in songs make a band sound 200% more professional.
Asa Brosius

Post  Posted 8 May 2013 6:00 pm    

Awesome. Personally, I like JD in this version a bit more. Plus, look at that suit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAENUcHceZ4

asa
Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 9 May 2013 4:42 am    

That's good news! I will go to the Festival (in October) to hear him.

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 9 May 2013 4:56 am    

Asa - thanks for the other link.

Also excellent and it's noticeable that JJ and JD have refined their twin parts by this point. There are a couple of neat rhythmic variations, too.

John J makes a far better fist of the guitar solo here but JayDee's pick-up into his solo defies description!!!! Triplet-feel semi-quavers! Not bad for someone with a 'flat hand', eh?

And his suit? Words fail me!
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 9 May 2013 8:27 am    

yeah..that pick up lick...to me is a jd signature from back as far as the submarine band or before.
(that second clip is the ultimate version that i've heard. i even watched it over and over to see what his picking fingers did but it looked as if they weren't even moving!)

kind of a common idea taken to extreme artistic stylings by 'good ol' jaydee' as everyone says. i've never met him but i feel he's a nice guy. he did give me a nice helpful email response to a question i had about setting up a pp years ago. that kind of stuff goes a long way with me.
Brian Christiano

Columbia, South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2013 9:11 am    

Love it. I had not seen it. Thanks for posting. I'll have to watch it again to catch the "glitch" in the pickin' That's some great licks both on PSG and lead guitar.

1992 Emmons Lashley LeGrande D-10, 1971 Martin D-28, 1959 Gretsch Country Club, 1964 Fender Band-Master, Peavey Nashville 400, Peavey Classic 30, Harlow reso

Coordinator for the South Carolina Steel Guitar Convention held in West Columbia, SC. May/Nov each year. Held at Bill's Music Shop and Pickin' Parlor.
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 9 May 2013 9:30 am    

Brian:

It's at around 1.07" - Jorgenson slides out of position and, try as he might to salvage the situation, he hits a series of wrong notes.

Anyone else know that feeling??? Whoa!
Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2013 10:14 am    

If you search for "Desert Rose Band Austin City Limits" on youtube, there are about 8 tunes from their 1988 performance. I keep hoping Austin City Limits will put out a reissue DVD of the show...
Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2013 10:16 am    

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOcVNEw7WYo

For the coolest ending of all time check out this Desert Rose video!