| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fender 800 Project--need input please
Marty Broussard

Broussard, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2013 9:05 am    

I recently acquired a 60's model Fender 800 that I want to refurbish and play out occasionally. I've done some searching here but am putting this post to obtain as much knowledge as I can before I begin. Please provide suggestions/experiences/feedback regarding the following:

-Finish is completely stripped off. Where/how to get it refinished similar to original sunburst?
-Need Fender decals or alternative.
-Has anyone ever rodded one and added levers in lieu of the cable system?
-Need mute and cover
-Need specs for p/u and tone/volume knobs...
-How is the Emmons pedal/knee-lever copedant best accomodated on this guitar?

Again, any pics, advice, links to other discussions and coaching is appreciated.

Thanks!

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin
Paul Redmond

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2013 11:13 pm    

I just finished hot-rodding my 400. I left the original four pedals cable-drive, but added six KL's and a Sacred Steel lock lever. Send me your email address in a private mail, and I'll send pics and info your way.
PRR
Paul Redmond

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2013 11:17 pm    

I just finished hot-rodding my 400. I left the original four pedals cable-drive, but added six KL's and a Sacred Steel lock lever. Send me your email address in a private mail, and I'll send pics and info your way.
PRR
Paul Redmond

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2013 11:27 pm    

Marty - I sent a reply, but for some reason it didn't post.
I recently restored a 400. I left the original 4 pedals cable-drive, but added 6 KL's and a Sacred Steel lock.
Send me your email address and I'll forward some pics and info.
PRR
Marty Broussard

Post  Posted 24 Apr 2013 6:44 am    

Paul a pm is on the way. Thanks for the help!

Anyone else with ideas, etc?

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin
Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2013 7:14 am    

Sunbursts are a dime a dozen...ever think about doing the refin in Candy Apple Red or Lake Placid Blue?
Like so...

Marty Broussard

Post  Posted 24 Apr 2013 10:47 am    

Wow I didn't know they were available in other colors. Does anyone have any other photos? I really like the red. Thanks!!

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2013 11:05 am    

Well...according to the text in that particular catalog they were available in any of the Fender custom finishes, but whether or not there were more than a couple actually finished in those colors at the factory is another matter.
That red 800 sure looks cool, though....
Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2013 12:11 pm    

This is probably the best forum for the Fender cable steels:

http://z8.invisionfree.com/Fender_Steel_Forum/index.php
Dwight Lewis

Huntsville, Alabama
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2013 2:14 pm     Fender 400

Hi Paul, how are you? This is Dwight, with the red Dekley you made keyless. Can you send me some pictures of your 400? You know I love your work. I just got to see that Fender Surprised . I just had a very mint 10 string with 6 pedals that I sold. I was waiting for some knee lever kits to be built by PSG but I got impatient and sold it to one of our church members.I hope things are going good for you. The Dekley is still turning heads, I installed a TA10 tonealigner pup, and it works wonderfully.

Dwight
ijaash@yahoo.com[/list]

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2013 12:28 am    

Hey, Dwight, Marty, everyone of y'all "cableheads"!!! I had a 400 that I rec'd from ebb a long time ago, in the shop. He and I bartered for it, and I got it. I decided to add my short Uni tuning/copedant to it minus the 1st and 2nd strings. The wood had been "restored" not once, but twice....YIKES!!! That means in real English that it had been attacked on two separate occasions with a vibrating sander. So had the changer plate and the tuning pan as they hadn't been removed prior to the sander attack.
In short, I had the plating re-done locally, satin-finished that silver frame, then re-milled the rack. I had to do that as all the corners had been removed during the sander attack. I also used pearl black clear-coat lacquer to finish off the wood, fogging that black on the front of the rack so that the central 1/3 of it was natural and showing the new decal.
I added six rod-and-shaft KL's, but still retained the four cable-drive pedals. I will send these pics I have to Dwight Lewis and ask him to post them. I have had zero success at posting pics.
I made longer "hog rings" and bent them up at 90 degrees. I retained both the solid bridge, and the solid nut. By dropping the whole works to a D# tuning instead of E, I was able to avoid string breakage. I retained the original p/u. This guitar sounds awesome!!!
PRR
Marty Broussard

Post  Posted 25 Apr 2013 5:59 pm    

Skip, do you know where I can find color samples for the colors of that time period? You have me thinking now....LOL.

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2013 8:34 pm    

Can't say that I do...but there should be no shortage of guitar refinishers that use Fender custom colors on a regular basis. How about contacting the Fender Custom Shop?
Going for that Candy Apple Red?? Pretty cool...
Marty Broussard

Post  Posted 26 Apr 2013 4:26 am    

Thanks Skip. I googled it and got some hits and after seeing Paul Redmond's guitar I'm going to consider any color combinations from that period. Right now the candy apple is my favorite but I'm wondering if I could put another color with it and still be tasteful.

Any suggestions from our members are welcome!

Dwight Lewis

Huntsville, Alabama
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2013 4:54 am     Fender S8 by Paul Redmond

Here's Paul's Fender & Copedant, in the flesh.

Dwight - To make it easy, I'll put down the copedant in E. I tune my Fender to D# and just play one fret higher. But it's easier to understand what I'm doing if it's shown in E.

The tuning would be --- G# E B G# F# E B G# front to back.
FP1 1 and 4 down to G
FP2 3 and 7 up to C#
FP3 1, 4, and 8 up to A
FP4 8 down to E (this one is experimental)
LKL 4 down to F#
LKRfront 2 up to F#
LKRrear 3 and 7 up to C
RKLrear 7 up to D
RKLfront 2 and 6 up to F
RKR 2 and 6 down to D#
The Sacred Steel lock holds #5 in F#. When it's released, it drops to a unison E with #6.
When the E's are raised to F, #5 comes with it. When the E's are dropped, #5 goes back up to F#.

I use these same changes on most of my guitars, but with the F# and D chromatics out front in 1 and 2 respectively.
PRR

Last edited by Dwight Lewis on 2 May 2013 1:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
Marty Broussard

Post  Posted 26 Apr 2013 5:20 am    

Wow! Is that gorgeous or what? Love the workmanship Paul.

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2013 7:54 am    

Very nice...dig the case lining, too.
Gary Morse picked this one up awhile back. I believe the color is Pelham Blue.

Marty Broussard

Post  Posted 26 Apr 2013 11:21 am    

Thanks for posting the pic Skip!!

Anyone else??

I hope to be finished sanding mine down this weekend and then I'm going for the color(s)....

Marty Broussard

Post  Posted 30 Apr 2013 7:06 pm    

Has anyone used the products from Reranch.com? I'm trying to finalize my plans for colors, etc. and a friend told me about this site. Any experience, other suggestions, etc. are appreciated..

Thanks

Brian Herder

Philadelphia, Pa. USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2013 6:14 am    

I have used ReRanch stuff. I like it.. it's great for someone not set up with a whole spay rig, etc. Some metallics are trickier to do. The little flakes can lie flat if it goes on too wet leaving it blotchy. Skip, that blue one would be Lake Placid Blue.. Pelham is a more silvery looking Gibson color.
Michael Hummel

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 1 May 2013 12:07 pm    

Quote:
great for someone not set up with a whole spay rig

I leave that to my veterinarian...so far my dogs have appreciated it!

Smile
Brian Herder

Philadelphia, Pa. USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2013 1:03 pm    

Missed it by that much..
Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2013 3:54 pm    

Wow - that silver and black is striking. If I wasn't a Broncos fan I might give that a try. The finish on my 1958 1000 has definitely seen better days.
Dirk B

Harrisburg, MO, USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2013 6:03 am    

Paul, that guitar is just the coolest thing ever. I hope you don't mind, but I stuck a couple of photos of your hot-rodded Fender on my Facebook page.