| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Aussie Steelers Get-Together Number 9
Ned McIntosh

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2013 4:07 pm    

The latest in Nick O'Neill's very successful get-togethers for Aussie steelers took place Sunday 21st April at the usual venue in suburban Sydney.

This time our group was slightly diminished as Michel Rose was unable to attend due to work commitments, Gary Brown had injured his back (depriving us of a resophonic-player) and Geoff Barnes also didn't make it. But Nick, Ned, Mike Tyne, Tomi Graso and Noel and Shirley Anstead were able to attend. We set up and in between technical talk (mostly about the Anapeg Noel was playing) and Tomi teaching us a couple of nice licks involving lowering the second string, we played our way through some classics, had biscuits and coffee or tea, as well as lunch, chatted some more, played some more and by about 4pm we were done for the day.

Left to Right:- Nick O'Neill, Noel Anstead, Kerry Donlon on bass, Shirley Anstead and Tomi Graso. Yet to arrive were Mike Tyne and Damien Odell.

Steels represented were Carter (Ned's "Blondie"), Anapeg (Noel, on a very early unit, number 3), Mullen (Nick's G2 and Damien's Royal Precision U12), Emmons (Tomi's left-handed LeGrande) and Sho-Bud (Mike Tyne's veteran S10)

"Blondie" hadn't had a run at a get-together for a while, but sounded good with Alumitones through a Fox-modded NV112. Ned also played a Lawrence Smith resophonic at times in a partially-successful attempt to make up for the absence of Gary Brown!

Tomi's LeGrande sounded sweet as always (Shirley Anstead in the background).

Damien's Mullen RP U12 through an Egnater amp was a joy to hear. Thanks, Damien, for taking time out of a busy family weekend.

Mike Tyne's vintage Sho-Bud S10 sounds like any good Sho-Bud should, smooth and mellow, like a well-aged single-malt...Mike has a lot of miles on this steel.

Nick's G2 Mullen sounded, and looked, impressive.

Noel was playing the third Anapeg ever built (through an Anapeg amp as well), and it has some differences from later production models. (I'm not sure he was ready for me to take the photo!)

Anapeg No. 3 has a thin aluminium layer under the neck that was discontinued in production models (below)

the changer was hand-made and silver-soldered together, using pins for the ball-ends to attach to the fingers (below)

and the highly-radiussed recess around the keyless string-attachments behind the roller-nut was larger than in production models (below)

Noel changed this in production so the recess was smaller and just went around the Allen-head screws, allowing the aluminium to butt against the string-holders to prevent rattling and to ensure optimum sound-transfer. (There were a lot of other changes as well, far too many for me to remember...Noel is like a talking encyclopaedia of pedal-steel guitars!!)

It is a real privilege to talk to Noel about the design and construction of Anapeg steels. Anybody who thinks this instrument is a relatively simple affair to design and build just isn't living in the real world!

Again I have to thank Nick for organising and co-ordinating these meetings which we look forward to enormously. Huge thanks also to Nick's wife Anne who provided us with lunch and refreshments.

Once again Noel and Shirley Anstead made the long trip from Queensland to visit us and share their time. We really appreciate their dedication and love of the instrument and their kindness in coming to visit.
The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.
Ian S. Cameron

Saskatchewan, Canada
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2013 4:10 pm    

very nice... but where are the alligators and dingos?
Ned McIntosh

Post  Posted 22 Apr 2013 4:17 pm    

They're up north. The snakes were just next door. Literally.
The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.
Allen Hutchison

Kilcoy, Qld, Australia
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2013 9:12 pm    

We have a few small ones down here but they're called Crocodiles!
Bit too cold down south for any to turn up at the meeting (thankfully eh?)
Looks like everyone had fun - hi all. Very Happy

PS. We tell the kids not to annoy them! Laughing
Geoff Barnes

Sydney, Australia
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2013 1:40 pm    

As usual nice photos Ned.
Looks like you had a good time as ever.

Sadly couldn't make this one due to family commitments but my thoughts were with you folks. An opportunity missed but I'll hopefully make the next one.

Post  Posted 28 Apr 2013 6:18 am    

OOPS: Sorry guys I put this in the wrong place ( Pedal Steel). Meant to post it here first time round.

Thanks again Ned for the report and all the photos on our ninth get together and a note to everyone ( don't forget to have a look in "Pedal Steel" to see whats in some of our seats and bags.
It was great to see you all there. I always enjoy the company and always come away with lots of new ideas to try out. Thanks guys. Its very easy for me as it is just a couple of minutes from my home but for a lot of you it is quite drive (up to 560 miles or 900km for the Ansteads).
Allen. That pet Croc of yours sure is getting big. You'll soon have to get a bigger truck to take him down to the river for his daily swim!! No Dingos around your way???? I think I know whats eating them. Really looking forward to hearing you play again at the Brisbane Steel festival in June.
Till we meet again, keep steelin.
Mullen SD10G2 4x5 (Black), Carter S-10 3x5, Peavey Session 400, Peavey Nashville 112, Fender MS80, Boss DD3, Goodrich and Telonics volume pedals, Alesis QuadraVerb, Fender Strats x2, Fender Nashville Power Tele, Takamine NP-15C, Boss TU-12, Peterson VS-11, Strobo-flip and strobo-clip tuners, D2Fcovers,seat,legs, amps,guitars.