| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bradley Capo > Dobro and Lap Steel
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2013 4:27 am    

Well my search is over for what I feel is the best Dobro/Lap Steel Capo...The Bradley Capo is it....

I own several different SQ Neck Capo's , most have a dull muted sound when installed, the Shubb C6B is pretty good sound wise but is very awkward to install quickly...

The Beard is just too dull and muted...

The Bradley "IS" the answer..at around $75... very clear with no noticeable overtones...

Here it is on the Dobro and the Lap Steel... To bad they don't have a 10 string model !

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Last edited by Tony Prior on 20 Apr 2013 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2013 9:10 am    

Agree 100%. I've been using a Bradley since they first came out. In fact, I was griping to the guy who built my 6-string, Ivan Guernsey, about the capo's that were available. They all (Beard, Shubb, Leno) crimped the wound strings, and they weighed nothing. So we talked, and decided what a REAL dobro capo would be--All the things that the Bradley is. As heavy as the bar, easy on/off, no damage to the strings. A couple weeks later, Ivan sent me a little package--with one of the first Bradley's ever made. Mine's non-plated brass, with two stainless steel welding rods, one in front, one in back. I gave my other capo's away.But, now, I need some surgical tubing!
Hey, we gotta get together--you gotta check out my 8-string! It's a blast!
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2013 12:47 pm    

Kool Steve..I learned today that the Bradley Capo is now in limited supply, the last batch has been made.

Get one while you can !

Bobby Branton

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2013 1:19 pm    

Why has the last one been made?? Does Elmer build them himself?
David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2013 1:52 pm    

I had bookmarked, but not contacted, a forumite who is making what appear to be great capos:
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=152691&highlight=lapro+capo
They can/should be individually fitted to your string height. (I have posted this without asking him first, I hope he doesn't hate me for pointing business at him...) The reason I haven't tried one is I've found little metal bars or plates that work for me, a 5/8" bar capos my D-8 Excel and I made a capo from the bridge plate for a seven-string guitar that works on my MSA SuperSteel. But I still may contact Mr. Begalka soon, because those things look really cool.
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2013 4:04 am    

Bobby Branton wrote:
Why has the last one been made?? Does Elmer build them himself?

I was told by the Nashville dealer that Elmer made the last BATCH , not the last one....I guess that means he makes them himself...He was not certain he would get anymore when they are gone... But as things go..someone will probably pick up the design and carry it forward...

Tom Keller

Greeneville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2013 7:24 am    

I am thinking my next capo will be the Martin Gross model. The design makes sense to me.
http://www.martingross.com/capo.htm
If I am not mistaken Martin is a forum member. All the usual disclaimers apply.

Tom
Dan Schwartz

Bloomington, MN
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2013 4:06 am    

I just received a Bradley capo for my 8-string weissenborn. The guitar sounds better with the capo on! I love this thing - I may be playing everything up a half step from now on to get this tone!
Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2013 12:29 pm    

No question about it, the Bradley is a fine capo and preferred by many players, but in mentioning the Beard capo and any shortcomings, one should be specific as to which Beard capo are you writing about?

I'm no fan myself of the old brass Beard capo that has been around for years, but the new and improved Beard "Wave" capo which was introduced by Paul in 2010 is a dramatic improvement over the old brass job, and IMO gives the Bradley a run for its money in terms of limiting what I like to refer to as "tone death."

Jarvenpaa,Finland
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2013 1:28 pm    

I had the nuts on my resonators customized to fit the Shubb capo and I must say it sounds good. And direct contact to the neck resulting in no "flutter" when hammering. Just saying that it`s a different design than the clamping capos and needs a good fit to work properly... My favorite.
Mark Eaton

Post  Posted 14 Sep 2013 8:01 am    

Olli, what did you do, just take a height measurement at the nut and install new nuts to match it for the Shubb capo?

I have a Shubb that is residing in a drawer unused along with the older style brass Beard capo, which is kept around as a backup in case it needs to "come off the bench" and into the game in case something happens with the Wave capo. The small photo is of the old-style capo, the larger photo is of the newer Beard Wave capo in three different finishes.

Last edited by Mark Eaton on 15 Sep 2013 8:16 am; edited 2 times in total
David Knutson

Cowichan Valley, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2013 12:35 pm    

My Shubb works great, but ONLY on my OMI Dobro. The height is good up to the 7th fret (a bit tight on fret one) and sliding it back tight to the frets gives me very good intonation. Tone doesn't seems to be affected at all. Am I just lucky?

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2013 10:32 am    

I really like the Bradley, but it gets edged out by the massive Deneve I have. Not very attractive, but easy to use and no tone suck at all. If they work as well, those new Beard waves look very interesting.
Olli Haavisto

Jarvenpaa,Finland
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2013 11:52 am    

Mark E,
I had a perfect height nut on a Lebeda I had and had that duplicated on my Rayco and Clinesmith, my luthier made new nuts for those.
The cheapo Gretsch was fine as is.
John Groover McDuffie

LA California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2013 6:08 pm    

Funny thing about the Beard capos - I tried both at McCabe's and thought the original style one sounded better than the wave, and so did the store employee helping me. So I bought a back-up of the original style one.

Regarding the Shubb - I love it on the dobro, but it won't work above the 4th fret because the neck is too thick, and it won't work on lap steels.

Last edited by John Groover McDuffie on 23 Sep 2013 6:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
John Groover McDuffie

LA California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2013 6:11 pm    

The Bradley looks like it would have the mass to sound good. Unfortunately it won't work on all of my lap steels because the lever would hit the body on any steel that has a body that is wider than the fretboard.
Mark Eaton

Post  Posted 25 Sep 2013 1:37 am    

John Groover McDuffie wrote:
Funny thing about the Beard capos - I tried both at McCabe's and thought the original style one sounded better than the wave, and so did the store employee helping me. So I bought a back-up of the original style one.

Regarding the Shubb - I love it on the dobro, but it won't work above the 4th fret because the neck is too thick, and it won't work on lap steels.

I recall you posting about this some time back John - I was surprised then and I'm still surprised now. I guess you had to be there...or it's one of those guitar-specific things, where for some reason it works better on your instrument.

If the Shubb works correctly on your guitar on the first four frets, I'd say you're golden! I think the the highest up the neck I've ever capo'd a dobro is the fourth fret. Any higher than that it starts sounding too much like a mandolin to me.

LA California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2013 9:03 am    

I like to get up to V for some songs in C and for Jolene in Am! Sometimes I put the Shubb on at II or III for the stability and then the Beard at V for the key.

I am considering adding some golfer's lead tape to the Beard capo for more mass!