| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  I have difficulties in tuning my first string
Kjell Ohlsson

Mora, Dalecarlia, Sweden
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2013 11:50 am    

When I tune it Open, there´s no problem, I got my F#. Problems occur when tune it using RKL, raising from F# to G#.
When I tune it to G# and I check F# on Open, I´m almost down to F. I tune it to F# again and lose my G# on RKL.
No change of strings or gauge is done.
But I can see the Hex tuner and the Nylon spacer is so far in on the Pull rod and enables me to see threads on it by 5-8 mm.
I´ve ordered new Hex tuners and spacers from the US. Have can I solve my problems?
Has someone of you a solution, I would be most greatful.
//Kjell

Buckeye State
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2013 12:05 pm    

Check your travel may need to adjust that, back the nylon off retune at keys then try gaining some more travel to pull up to pitch you may need to put rod on hole further from the body. Sometimes that pull you are talking about can be a pain in the butt to set up right, Tell us what kinda steel you have and mabey someone can help better
Kjell Ohlsson

Mora, Dalecarlia, Sweden
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2013 12:13 pm    

Bob, I´ve got an Emmons D10, all pull, from the mid 1990.

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2013 12:42 pm     Hello Kjell...

See Donnys post below... He has nailed it. I do still hope you get it worked out. Wink

Last edited by Dick Sexton on 17 Apr 2013 2:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2013 2:14 pm    

It sounds like that string is overtuned. The nylon nuts should never affect the open tuning on an all-pull guitar! If they do, you have "over-tuned", and must back the tuner off until the strings returns to normal pitch, and then adjust the pedal travel or pullrod puller to another hole or slot. Overtuning can also damage the changer, so it's agood idea to a;ways examine the fingers when the guitar is upside-down in the case. Any changer finger out of line or position with the others indicates a problem.
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2013 2:39 pm    

What Donny said.
Kjell Ohlsson

Mora, Dalecarlia, Sweden
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2013 7:58 pm    

OK, I get the Picture. I back the tuner, but when will I reach the normal position? Is it when I reach F# using the RKL or what? I´m not a technician and I assume you found that out allready Very Happy so some more guidance is appreciated.
Thanks a lot guys !!

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2013 8:15 pm    

Back the nylon nut off til you see a bit of space between spacer and changer finger when the lever released and the raise finger has the same position at rest as its neighbors. Then tune the F#
Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2013 6:01 am    

Actually, while the over-tuning is a common problem- that doesn't seem to apply based on the description of your observations. If it were an over-tuning issue when you released the lever it should come back sharp to the original pitch in this case as it is a raise. You are saying that it's coming back considerably flat to original pitch. It could be a combination of problems including a bellcrank that is bending which I've seen on multiple occasions and over-tuning to compensate and you keep chasing your tail. Look carefully at the bellcrank on your lever that's raising the 1st string and see if it looks exactly like the others and not leaning too far forward. There should always be some free play in every change when the string is not being activated before the lever or pedal starts (meaning that you should be able to move the cross shaft a titch b4 anything happens to the affected string). You might check a little thing that I wrote up here on my website- hope it helps. Also- make sure that you have changed the string and that it is not slipping on the tuning post of the tuning key (obvious but I've made worse mistakes ). Smile
Kjell Ohlsson

Mora, Dalecarlia, Sweden
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2013 10:17 pm     Thanks a lot guys...

... I Think I´ve solved my tuning problem.
I eased the nylon tuner and spacer as much as I could and tuned 1st string to F#, then I put rod to a new hole in bell crank, i fact the last hole. I pushed the RKL and tuned 1st string to G#, released the RKL and found 1st string at F#. I kept doing so over and over and it seem to stay the way I wanted. I´ll have it like this for a while and see weather I really did solve my problem.
Any comments on this is appreciated.
Thank a lot guys.
//Kjell