| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How many leave an amp or instrument at reharsal.
Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2013 7:54 am    

OK, I traded a delay pedal for a Crate 2 X 10 amp SS but has a 12AX7 preamp tube. Sounds good with the tens but goinfg to put make a new board and put a EV-12L I have hanging around. The guy was also a smoker so I am going to remove the chasses and real spring reverb wash it down with 409, paint the inside and leave it at a friends house to jam along with a peavey power slide and a decent old guitar and make a pedal board from spare pedals I have up the wazoo. Never have to carry anything again to jam at my jam buddy's house.

My freinds studio is up a flight of stairs and he says I am welcome to leave a setup
at his place. Cool!

Anyone else consider or do the same?

Last edited by Len Amaral on 21 Apr 2013 8:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2013 8:11 am    

I had regular weekly practice at a band member's house for the better part of a year, a few years ago, and being fortunate enough to have a PSG I could spare, a spare good-enough-for-rehearsal amp and a secure location (including people I trusted well enough to not dick with my gear), I had the great luxury of being able to just walk right in, sit right down.
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2013 8:46 am    

I've never left a spare rig in a rehearsal place, but I know others who have. It sounds like a good idea if you know you'll be going there fairly often and if you can spare the gear. It's possible that other players will be using your stuff from time to time, so if you're okay with that, no problem.
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2013 10:14 am    

i don't get the phobia people seem to have about a little smoke having drifted by any equipment. if you play 'any' real gigs you're going to be encountering lots of questionable air. just the air you breath is toxic to a certain extent.

i suppose if you just play in your hermetcally sealed little practice space with a mask and crash helmet on you'll be safe. but i don't see the 'bubble boy' being able to enjoy the aspects of performing with a steel guitar.
Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2013 1:35 pm    

I've done that but not recently.It's one thing when you just get together to jam;it's another thing entirely if you're gigging enough not to have time to rehearse. Laughing
Howard Steinberg

St. Petersburg, Florida , USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2013 4:41 am    

A good reason to have a ZT lunchbox.

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2013 5:12 am    

Back when I did the band thing, I had one amp and steel in our rehearsal room, and a duplicate amp and steel for gigs...plus a spare amp for gigs.

Of course, back then a guy could make a decent living at playing...if the band was really good...and ours was. Gosh, I miss those days.
Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2013 3:54 pm    

If I can spare the gear and the locatio is secure you betcah I'm going to leave what I can for the next session.
Clete Ritta

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2013 9:35 pm    

I leave a Starter, a Twin and a spare VP at rehearsal. Not a very good steel, but its not critical either, just bandmates (and maybe a few neighbors) listening. Laughing It sure saves time (and my back going up and down the stairs) each week.
David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2013 12:20 pm    

For a long time, we had an "amp barn" at a friend's farm, exactly like what it sounded like - a barn full of amps! Way out in the country, where "11" could only offend the deer & woodchucks. The deal was, I could safely leave my Mesa/Boogie and '73 no-master Marshall head there, with the understanding that good & careful musicians could play them - and I could play their Bogners & Soldanos & JCM900's under the same precautions. Everybody in (this small) town had stuff there... cornucopial! Sadly, it came whimpering to a halt not because of theft or overt abuse, but because the children of some bandmates & friends got old enough to want in. Some of them were even my guitar students, and no, I wouldn't trust them in a room with a daughter, sister, grandmother, comely woodchuck - or $3,000 vintage amp head! Laughing