| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Western/Texas Swing Is Still Kickin'
Fred Shannon

Rocking "S" Ranch, Comancheria, Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2006 10:51 pm    

Had a wonderful day Friday in Snyder Texas at the Western Swing Festival. We were treated to the likes of 2 plus hours with Jake Hooker and the killer, Dickie Overby on pedal steel. What a player!! When Dickie finishes a song, there's nothing left to do. Attack, Attack, Attack. Poor Strings.

Then we spent 2 plus hours listening to Dave Alexander, and his big swing band. Eleven, that's right 11 pieces including 5 horns and topped off by super strings. A lead player that won't quit, and best of all Reece Anderson on his 12 string Super Slide. Reece came on stage with his guitar, one cord with 1/4 in. plugs on each end, and a Peavey Nashville 112 and just blew the audience away. When you're good, I'm convinced you can leave the effects in the box. This band is just about one of the best in the Western swing world here in this state, or anywhere.

Then lastly, Ray Benson and Asleep At The Wheel, with Eddie Rivers completely destroying a Fender Custom, I believe. Eddie blows a mean sax also. This band gets close to you, go see and enjoy them.

Don't kid yourself folks, Western and Texas swing aint dead. There were over 1000 people in the Snyder Scurry County Coliseum, and at least 20 bucks a head for the bleacher seats. Guess what the 'floor tickets' went for? Also a large contingent from the United Kingdom was in attendance.

A wonderful day for this old dinosaur and I met some of my friends I haven't seen for years, such as old timer Leon Rausch who was called on to sing at least 4 songs by the different bands. Mike O'Daniel, super lead man who was taught by his pop Buck, who BTW is still alive and well. Jerry Williams and his two fiddle playing sons, great family.

Wichita Falls is the next stop for the Western Swing folks and I believe it is June 17, might check that out. We'll miss it, playing that night. Just wish there were more opportunities like this for us.
God Bless.
Phred

------------------
"From Truth, Justice is Born"--Quanah Parker-1904

[This message was edited by Fred Shannon on 09 June 2006 at 11:52 PM.]

Doyle Mitchell

Loraine, Texas
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2006 6:38 am    

Fred did you notice they make those non pedals steels sound more like a pedal steel they we can using both feet??? Ray announced that the "Ride with Bob" play will be back on the road from California to Washington DC, with Jason Roberts playing Bob Wills, cant hardly wait untill it gets close to here, I missed it in Midland. I got to visit with Jason Roberts after the show, I had not seen him since he was 16 yrs. old in Austin back in the late 80's. He was a super nice kid then , a trait that has stayed with him through the years. Dicky still plays superb, like most of us he has a few health problems but his playing is still top of the line. Great job guys, thanks for a nite of great music to all.
Roger Edgington

San Antonio, Texas USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2006 9:18 am    

Hey Fred. I played there Wednesday with Billy Mata. We all had a great time but had to get back home. Those are all great acts.
Fred Shannon

Post  Posted 10 Jun 2006 9:23 am    

Roger Billy Mata is a class act only because he hires classy musicians like yourself. We wanted to come over Wednesday but we were tied up here. I asked about and everyone liked the Mata Band very much. I did manage to catch you guys at the Potter Benefit and guy, you were superb, as usual. (and for you folks that don't know, I'm not capable of a suck up--we just tell it like it is) I still say Roger Edgington is one of Texas' best kept secrets.

Shady, I'm really excited about your Opry efforts in Colorado City. Name bands, name players, and a heck of a good time can't be beat. Keep it up guys, and you have our total support. Lookin' forward to the Thursday night specials.
Phred

------------------

[This message was edited by Fred Shannon on 10 June 2006 at 11:45 AM.]

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2006 12:49 pm    

Fred, thank you for the info about the western-swing activities in your area....and for your positive "take" that it is still alive and kicking! It makes me want to move there and see if I can still "keep up"!

Luv ya phred....take care my friend!

------------------

www.genejones.com

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2006 6:47 pm    

Fred-I echo Gene's sentiments. Thanks for posting about the Western Swing show, with Reece yet.

Wish I could have been there. Just what I like. Oh well, nice to know that Western Swing is still alive and well....al

------------------
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus/

Reece Anderson

Keller Texas USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2006 6:38 am    

Pfred....Thank you for the kind words and observations of the Western Swing Festival in Snyder Texas. It was so great to see you and Dovie.

Unfortunately Roger Edgington played with Billy Mata the day before we arrived. Sorry I missed their performances, but I heard it was exceptional and Roger was at his best. That's not surprising, because Roger is a terrific player.

However, I did have the pleasure of hearing Dickie Overby two different times. What a player. He has a way of playing great, yet making it appear to be effortless.

I also had the opportunity to see my good friend Eddie Rivers who plays with AATW, but unfortunatly they were scheduled to perform about an hour and a half after we finished and we had to get back to do another job the next morning. I did however hear Eddie brought the house down. Sorry I had to miss it.

Thanks again Pfred for the kind words and the update. Sure wish you and Dovie could make it to the Western Swing show next weekend in Wichita Falls. It's gonna be great and I'm looking forward to hearing a lot more good music and listening to a lot of steel guitar players having fun doing what they love to do.
James Morehead

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2006 7:53 am    

Hey Fred, They just want us to THINK the good music is dead, so they can push their drivel!

We are going to try and make Wichita Falls. We did last year, and WOW what a treat! It was good to meet you at the Dallas convention.
Fred Shannon

Post  Posted 11 Jun 2006 11:18 am    

Gene--You know you're welcome in Texas anytime. Too bad about the survey that put you in "Indian Country" when you were little. Friday kinda' reminded me of the old Rogers' Twins' gang in Amarillo with the 'little kid' on steel. Luv ya' brother and tell Charlotte hi for us.

Al--Great to hear from you. I know you would have really enjoyed the day with us. Great music, good friends, and hot weather to die for. Say hello to sweet Lorraine.

Reece--Sorry to have missed you at the end of the show but I knew you and Dave had to get back. As you know we were sitting with a group of musicians and when you brought out the Super Slide one of the guys said, "What the hell is that?". I explained the new lines from MSA and after you broke it off on the first couple of songs, Jerry Williams turned to his two boys that play fiddles out of this world, and said, "See there I told you boys that LESS IS MORE IN THE MUSIC GAME." It was a terrific show all around and I'm really looking forward to next year. These shows are the answer, I believe, to keeping Swing alive in the country music world.

James--You would have really been in your element at this show. Man what a day we had. Wish I could be at Wichita Falls, but contracts both Friday and Saturday nights. I, too, enjoyed seeing you at the Dallas Convention, along with the good guy John Coop. Thought he was gonna' move down here shortly. Guess he got sidetracked.
Phred

------------------

James Morehead

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2006 12:14 pm    

Yeah, John sure is sharp on them shobuds. I believe he is still gonna come down to Texas, and what a valueable asset to shobud owners, as well as a great guy to talk "old days" with!