| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Classic Opry spot
Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2013 8:35 am    

Driving home from a gig last night I was listening to WSM. On their classic Opry segment, they played a broacast that featured Ernest tubb. Ernest announced that Jimmy Day was filling in for Buddy Charleton who was out sick. Ernest then proceeded to do "Half A Mind". Jimmy delivered the classic Buddy Emmons solo pretty much spot on. Way cool. Wondering if anyone else heard it.

Eatonton, Georgia, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 26 May 2013 8:47 am    

Clyde,
You have great taste in music. I listened last night as well, and remember years ago driving home from gigs always hoping I'd be able to pick up WSM to hear The Midnight Jamboree, or anything by E.T. and The Troubadours. I don't think we'll ever enjoy another band quite like that one.
Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2013 2:01 pm    

Thanks Craig. I saw the Troubadours many times. If they were within 200 miles, I was there. That was the textbook of what country music was for me. I listen to WSM anytime I drive at night. Eddie Stubbs plays great stuff and will sometimes feature snippets from those old Opry broadcasts on weeknights.

Eatonton, Georgia, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 26 May 2013 2:54 pm    

Clyde,
I'm with you. I used to go anywhere to hear The Troubadours. I'm sure Buddy Charleton was the only steel guitar player who saw Ernest Tubb sing more often than I did. If I heard Charleton hit a sour note, I'd go home and try to figure out how he did it so I could do it too. To my ears, Charleton could hit the wrong string and somehow, it was prettier than anyone else's best masterpiece. That's a fan when you try to copy everything a guy does. . . mistakes and all! Clyde, If you hear of another band that good, let me know.

Craig
Bryant Aycock

Pikeville, North Carolina
Post  Posted 30 May 2013 10:54 pm    

Good Stuff! I was born 20 years too late.
Jack Stanton

Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Post  Posted 31 May 2013 5:24 am    

Used to love it when I could catch the Midnight Jamboree on the radio driving home from a gig( although it usually was too late). Didn't the Sho-Bud Showcase follow?
Joe Gall

DeLand, Florida
Post  Posted 31 May 2013 7:07 am    

In 1977 when I was 10 years old my family moved from Buffalo, NY to Nashville after the infamous "Blizzard of 77". Anyway, we used to go to the Opry in the Winter months, what used to be the "off season" back then. After the Opry we would go over to Ernest Tubb's Record Shop and watch the show there as well.

I can remember several times seeing (and we have pictures as well) Ernest driving into the record shop in his AMC Pacer of all things! It was green with wood grain on the sides! LOL Why he was driving an AMC Pacer I'll never know, but we have pictures of him driving it into the parking lot coming from the Opry over to his record shop! He had his white suite on and his tall white hat on, in the car no less! I'll have to ask my Dad to find the pictures and I will post them!

Such great memories!