| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Copedent Question: C6th P8 vs Knee Lever
Larry Harlan

Hydro, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2013 3:51 pm    

Seems like a few years ago I read on here where someone put the C6th P8 pull on a knee lever. Which one I don't remember, but seems like it was a RKR, maybe. Anyone know of someone who has done this with any success and liked it. ..and then, what did they put back on the P8 at the end of the pedal board? Seems like the older I get the harder it is for my short left leg to reach all the way right to P8. Just curious if anyone's done it or not.
Larry Harlan
67 D-10 Sho~Bud Fingertip,N'ville 400
Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2013 9:23 pm    

Forumite Bill Cunningham had the pedal 8 changes on a LKL. Felt real good on a properly adjusted Carter. I get more mileage out of it on the floor and other things on the knee's. But that's just me.

bb
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2013 9:30 pm    

I have pedal 8 on a left knee left lever. I love it there. Also have pedal 7 on my right knee right.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Bill Cunningham

Atlanta, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2013 1:12 pm    

As Bobby Boggs said, I have had standard pedal 8 on my LKL for many years. I picked this up on recommendation of Atlanta icon Mac Atcheson in the mid 1980's when he set up the SuperPro I bought from Garland Nash. (How's that for an Atlanta steel history look back? Smile) On pedal 8 I have the Jernigan pedal 4.

Is 8 on LKL a good idea? It works nicely however, the thousands of players including most pros using the standard pedal 8 can't be wrong. One certain downside, is that if you play the back neck much and get used to LKL, it's almost impossible to comfortably sit-in on a "regular" set up. When I got my Mullen's (yes, two of them) over the past 1.5 years, I seriously thought of going back to the standard set up but have kept the LKL so far. Guess I am getting old and set in my ways. Razz

I believe Mac's protege, Bill Ferguson, used to have this set up also, but am not sure about that.
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2013 10:33 pm    

I ordered my Zum with P8 on LKR, after the influence of the Auldridge brothers.
Bruce suggested I put it back on the floor and put P5 on LKR.
I did that, moving all the pedals over to the left.
P8 now raises 3 and 7 to C#, which I combine with P5(I still call my LKR P5 for ease of discussion) to get the old 5 on top C6
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2013 3:15 am    

I still call my LKL, pedal 8 and RKR pedal 5 for the sake of not confusing anyone. Same reason I never refer to E9 levers (other than MAYBE the F lever) by any letter designations. Their E lever may be a different E lever than I have, etc...
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Jim Pitman

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2013 5:29 am    

I think the tendency is to put changes that you commonly combine with other changes on knee levers and they are typically reserved for such. In this manner you don't need two feet for combos. If you want to press two pedals that aren't adjacent, it's hard to coordinate lifting your right foot off from a volume pedal temporarily, without screwing up your volume or technique.
In the case of the boowah pedal (if that what you are referring to?), on a D10 it stands on it's own for the most part so you could put it on a lever. I'm a U12 player so I have the eb lever engaged while engaging P8, boowah. I sometimes also bring a second lever into play that flats the upper B while engaging pedal 8. I have the Bb on an opposite knee from the Eb so I can accomplish this. - two knees and one pedal simultaneously.
So I would recommend reviewing your licks/copedent first to see if you will combine it with a change on the same knee (impossible) before committing.
Also I would question its value of you have to displace another knee lever function to accomplish it.
Danny Spinks

Hendersonville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2013 8:34 am    

I put the pedal 8 change on a knee lever in the very late 60's after trying to learn to play "Hold It".
I called it MKL. It was placed just to the right of the E9th lever LKR. Now that I've learned you can take your foot off the volume control, I probably wouldn't put it on now.

Danny
Gary Walker

Morro Bay, CA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2013 4:11 pm    

I have related a couple of times that on MY 1975 MSA Classic D-12 9 & 5 with the C6 on the front and E9 on the rear, I put P8 on RKR and P5 on RKL I loved it but went back to comventional setup on my Mullen D-11
I wish I had never sold the MSA. I loved that setup. I have thought many time of having another built that way.
All the knee levers operated both necks, so it was almost like having 9 & 10. That guitar is floating around So Cal in White Tidewood.