| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  replacement fret board !!!
Mel Davis

Addison, Maine, USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2013 2:16 pm    

what is the best method of removing the old fret board and installing the new one, on the E9th neck of my D-10 Emmons 1982 LeGRANDE,, want to be sure i'm right. thanks Mel
Dave Diehl

Mechanicsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2013 2:47 pm    

I always use one of my thinnest strings and wound it around each had and once you get it started under a corner, work it back and forth toward the other end. Then, depending on the guitar finish (lacquered or mica) there are various cleaners to get the glue residue off the neck.
Danny Letz

Old Glory,Texas, USA 79540
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2013 4:37 pm    

Be sure you mark it some way or know the formula for getting it back in the right place to fret properly.
Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2013 5:13 pm    

Mel, I use a small string as Dave said. I vice grips on the string about 24" apart and use a hair dryer to soften the adhesive to allow the string to easily "saw" thru the adhesive. Go about 6" and prop the board up of the adhesive so it will not rebond. Move another 6" and move the prop. Oh yeah, as Danny said, it is important to mark for the replacement. I place masking tape on the side of the neck at the 12th fret and mark where to line up the 12th fret. Place the tape at the top edge of the neck so you can accurately locate the 12th fret.
Jerry
Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2013 6:38 am    

To add to what Jerry was saying- when replacing a fretboard I always remove the old one by whatever method one chooses and then put the new one down w/o adhesive exposed and line it up by splitting the distance between the center of the roller(s) and center of the changer finger(s) in order to get the 12th fret as close as possible to center. Once I am satisfied the position is accurate then I'll briefly outline the placement w tape and put a small mark on either side of the 12th fret to insure it all as once the adhesive is exposed moving the new fretboard is impossible once down. The reason for doing it this way is that I've seen multiple factory applied fretboards on various instruments simply placed out of position.
Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2013 7:34 am    

One way I've found that works pretty well on removing old adhesive is to freeze the fret board with canned air turned upside down or dry ice then the old glue will just flake off. As far as I know, doesn't harm the neck either, once it warms up, it's back to normal.

I also locate 12the fret (dead center) by sticking a dull kitchen knife edge ways under a string that you can put on temperally. Find dead center by plucking string til both sides are in perfect tune with each other, viola, 12th fret.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.
Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2013 7:59 am    

I used a Hair dryer and a plastic putty knife. Start at the end near the pickup and gently pry it up as you heat it.Mine came off pretty easy.There is typically a space about the thickness of a business card between the rollers and where the fretboard starts so be sure to note that before removing it.

Addison, Maine, USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2013 3:32 am     fret board replacement

thanks everyone !!! for all the good info,, guess i could replace one now,,, that is if i could find one,
Emmons co. wont respond to my inquiries about a new fret board,, scotties is looking for me, billy cooper dont have one, i emailed bobby seymore, should hear today. didn't reolize it would be this difficult to find a fret board for my Emmons
John Peay

Cumming, Georgia USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2013 6:36 am     Good Idea!

Henry Matthews wrote:
I also locate 12the fret (dead center) by sticking a dull kitchen knife edge ways under a string that you can put on temperally. Find dead center by plucking string til both sides are in perfect tune with each other, viola, 12th fret.

That seems like a great idea! Henry, do you find that locating the 12th fret that way is different from "dead center between the nut and rollers"??
Jackie Bell

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2013 7:35 am    

Mel Davis
Contac Jerry Roller in Ark. I bought from him.

Jackie
Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2013 8:57 am    

Mel, I am out of the fretboards but expect to have some come in next week. Thanks Jackie.
Jerry
Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2013 10:25 am     Re: Good Idea!

John Peay wrote:
Henry Matthews wrote:

That seems like a great idea! Henry, do you find that locating the 12th fret that way is different from "dead center between the nut and rollers"??

Probably no difference John except maybe a little more accurate for me anyway.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.