| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Nashville 112 Low Impedence Line Out
Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2013 4:23 pm    

I experienced a problem Sunday with this line out. To my knowledge it has never been used before. The guys were recording and my amp sounded like distortion and a loss of volume. They pulled the cord out of the jack and the distortion stopped. My question is have any of you guys had a problem with the low impedence line out on these amps? After pulling the cord they ran a mic and all was well. Any comments or solutions would be appreciated.
John Jeffries

New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2013 6:45 pm    

I never use the "line out" on my Nashville 112 - I much prefer to send the "pure" tone coming from the speaker to the board through a mic. - an SM-57 does it for me, with the board set "flat"....don't need much volume on the board, just enough to round out the sound a bit out front. I tried the line out once or twice and found it noisy, so I just don't bother with it.

United Kingdom (deceased)
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2013 1:23 am     Re: Nashville 112 Low Impedence Line Out

Shure SM-57 All the time Very Happy

Micky "scars" Byrne U.K.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2013 3:07 am    

I wonder if it was the amp or the recording board. I've used the line out to record with my NV112 and no problems. It is a "line level" signal and if the board its going to is looking for an low level "instrument level" or "mike level" it will distort.

I have a home recording studio and my recording interface unit has both instrument/mike level and line level inputs, along with input level control.
Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2013 3:23 am    

I have a good friend who in the past has worked on electronics and amps. He told me how the jacks can get dirty without being used. I took aaanother cord and plugged in and out several times on all jacks. The amp has not done it since. I still am gun shy about taking it on a gig. It is a good idea to spray contact cleaned inside the jacks? Would it help without taking the control board out? Thanks for the responses.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2013 5:35 am    

I'm an ex amp tech (I was the Ampeg factory repair tech in Nashville at one time).

Unused jacks can be a problem. In most cases just plugging in and out several times will take care of it. In some cases contact cleaner may take care of it, in others a special brush type jack cleaner is needed. But, according to the description of your problem, I doubt that a dirty jack was your problem, I more suspect an operator error at the recording interface board.

In many amps (not just Peavey) there are also "normal through" contacts (and extra contact) on certain jacks and non-use can cause those contacts to be intermittent or not even make electronic contact. The jacks in the Nashville 112 that have these are the RETURN jacks on the Pre EQ, Post EQ and the Power Amp In.
Norm Fletcher

Ashland, OR
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2013 2:29 am    

I met Buck Reid and talked about the Peavey 112 and he always uses it with Lyle Lovett. Apparently no problem there. I think Jack Stoner hit it, Line level is not instrument level on a house board.