| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Telonics 409/427
George Macdonald

Vancouver Island BC Canada
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2013 8:25 am    

Can someone tell me the difference in the Telonics 409/427 pickup and the 84 or 128? Don't they both have adjustable poles. Thanks
Mark Dunn

Suffolk, England
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2013 1:56 pm    

Hi George

The Type 84PW and Type 409PW are10 string pickups and the Type 128PW and 427PW are 12 string pickups.

The tone of the 84PW and 128PW might be considered similar to an Emmons PP with older single coil pickups; bright but not harsh. But, these pickups are hum-cancelling, so no hum issues.

The tone of the 409PW and 427PW is more typical of today's good sounding pickups. The strength of this pickup is the mid-range; really warm with plenty of resonance.

All the pickups mentioned above require pole adjustment.
Web page with download link for pickup installation and usage info - http://www.tpa-az.com/page7.htm

The 206PW and 183PW are also worth a mention, again 10 / 12 string versions of the same design. The tone of this pickup is more mellow than a 409, but not lacking upper mids. It works nicely on the C6 neck, but several users like it on both necks. It is a fixed pole design.

Hope this helps

Mark
George Macdonald

Vancouver Island BC Canada
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2013 2:34 pm     Telonics pickups

Thanks Mark for the explaination. I have a #151 [poles and a bar], and a #183 [2 bars], for my 12 string universal. They are both very good and either one sounds good in my guitar. I didn't know what the 427 was as it looks similar to another with two rows of adjustable poles. Anyway, I'm squared away now. By the way, Dave Beaty send me a couple of links to you and David Hartley on u-tube using Telonics pickups. Great stuff. Thanks again, George