| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  old MSA'S Triple raise, Triple lower?
Lee Dassow

Jefferson, Georgia USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2013 5:14 pm    

Does anybody know if the old MSA'S,before they went out of business in 85, Had triple raise and triple lower Changer fingers. I Thought I saw an s-10 for sale on the forum that looked like a triple up and down. If so, does any one know what year they made that change. TENNESSEE LEE
2015 Mullen D-10 Royal Precision 9x8,-1990 BMI S-10 5x5-1972 Silver face Fender pro Reverb amp,-1965 Fender Super Reverb Amp,- 1966 Fender Showman Amp Two 15" JBL speakers,- 2006 65 Fender Twin Reverb reissue Amp,- 1982 Peavey Session 500 amp,-1978 Peavey Session 400,Goodrich Volume Pedals,John Pearse Steel Bars,
Dave O'Brien

Florida and New Jersey
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2013 6:17 pm     Msa

XL's were triple - starting late 1977 as far as I can tell by all the MSA's I've owned.
Lee Dassow

Jefferson, Georgia USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2013 6:49 pm     old MSA'S Triple raise, Triple lower?

Thanks DAVE T.L.
2015 Mullen D-10 Royal Precision 9x8,-1990 BMI S-10 5x5-1972 Silver face Fender pro Reverb amp,-1965 Fender Super Reverb Amp,- 1966 Fender Showman Amp Two 15" JBL speakers,- 2006 65 Fender Twin Reverb reissue Amp,- 1982 Peavey Session 500 amp,-1978 Peavey Session 400,Goodrich Volume Pedals,John Pearse Steel Bars,
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2013 6:50 am    

msa went out of business?
Lee Dassow

Jefferson, Georgia USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2013 11:30 am     old MSA'S Triple raise, Triple lower?

I thought they did the first time around 1985. I may be mistaken. I know their in business now. T.L.
Russ Wever

Kansas City
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2013 9:45 pm    

chris ivey wrote:
msa went out of business?

MSA closed
up in 1984.
~Rw
Lee Dassow

Jefferson, Georgia USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2013 7:20 am     old MSA'S Triple raise, Triple lower?

Missed by a year.Thanks for the info Russ, T.L.
Butch Pytko

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2013 10:07 am     MSA Classic SS

Yes, the MSA CLASSIC SS. Here's a full page ad from one of my Steel Guitarist magazines--this issue dates Sept. 1979--so, the guitar was available at that time. Had I known about the Classic SS, I may have bought it, but in 1979 I went ahead and bought the Vintage XL, that had double raise/lower. At the time, I just didn't know about the advantage of the triple raise/lower--just starting out with a basic copedent that didn't require it. Also, note in the ad text, that the SS was a separate model from the XL. What they did on the SS, was basically chop-off the sides and made it more compact and lightweight. But, in doing so, it moved the necks too close on the D-10's, which caused the 10th tuning key on the outer neck to interfere with the 1st key of the inner neck. Also, I remember a local steel player, who had an SS, complained that it lacked the tone of the XL. Whether that's true or not, I don't know. It could be psychological, or player's taste and preference.

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2013 5:57 pm    

Tony Tims, there's your guitar.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, a restored MSA Classic SS, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Also a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored Rose S10, named the "Blue Bird". Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also have a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks, and a showroom condition Sho-Bud Super Pro.
Tony Tims

Roanoke, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2013 9:20 pm     Classic SS

Yes sir it is. Brilliant Burgundy with 6 added knee levers. Still a beautiful guitar after 30 years!

Pilot Point ,Tx USA.
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2013 2:17 am    

For the record... 1963 ~ 1983...

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2013 5:35 am    

The Classic SS didn't have quite the features that the latest MSA's have, but it plays and sounds just as good.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, a restored MSA Classic SS, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Also a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored Rose S10, named the "Blue Bird". Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also have a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks, and a showroom condition Sho-Bud Super Pro.
Lee Dassow

Jefferson, Georgia USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2013 4:50 pm     old MSA'S Triple raise, Triple lower?

WOW, great history, Thanks for the info.T.L.