| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Upon Reaching the Statistical End of Your Life?
Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2013 8:36 am    

This topic may not be well received by some, however, since I have reached the age of 82 (well past my statistical life expectancy of 78, I occasionally reflect on the subject.

I vary from the Ronald Reagan philosophy of "I just don't think about it", to the reality of "the end is near". However, I tend to not spend much time thinking about it and trusting that my faith is well placed.

My post is to seek the opinions of the older members of the Forum (of which there are many) about the approaching end of life.

I'm hoping that the opinions expressed will be gratifying and inspirational to all of us of a certain age.

God bless you all, whether you choose to participate or not.

Gene

Post  Posted 21 Mar 2013 9:19 am    

Jim I love you, and in response to your private e-mail, I am saying that I do not have a private agenda in favor of a judeo-christian agenda.

I am 82 years old and have a legitimate concern about what hapens to me when I die. I really want to hear to opinions of those who are in my era of life.

God bless you Jim and I apologize if i have offended you in any way.

Gene

Post  Posted 21 Mar 2013 10:17 am    

Jim I luv ya, and I understand that what you are saying and your concerns
in your private e-mail are legitimate. Your words about me that; "I am
looking for a "bunch of Christian-religious"responses to my concerns about
dying" does not minimize my concern. I am truly looking for something that
will give me some hope about the afterlife. I am concerned about anything
that will give me hope that I will not just be a decaying corpse in a grave
without any hope. I know that the Jews do not recognize Jesus as anything
but a charismatic preacher, but my afterlife hangs on my correct choice of
religious faith. I love you Jim....and may our courses in life and our
Lords grace save us.

With utmost respect and love to you Jim,

Gene

Post  Posted 21 Mar 2013 11:16 am    

Well, what I had hoped to be a meaningful discussion about steel guitar players diverse beliefs about the end of life has evolved into a religious area that b0b will be obligated to close.

How sad for all of us.

My apology to all,

Gene

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2013 11:22 am    

Gene Jones wrote:
Well, what I had hoped to be a meaningful discussion about steel guitar players diverse beliefs about the end of life has evolved into a religious area that b0b will be obligated to close.

Gene, with all due respect, it hasn't "evolved" into anything yet. You're the only one who has posted here so far! Give it some time and I'm sure you'll hear about steel guitar players' diverse beliefs about the end of life. THEN it might evolve into something b0b might choose to close, but it surely hasn't happened yet!
Mike Mantey

Eastern Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2013 11:46 am     Gives me peace about it.

Couple of my favorites:

John 3:16 ESV

“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

Daniel 12:2 ESV

And many of those who sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.

Check this out too:
http://www.openbible.info/topics/death_and_dying
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2013 12:41 pm    

I shall be seventy on Saturday and, at the risk of alienating so many here on the Forum, I remain convinced that when my time comes it'll just be a question of the light being turned off. No coda, spiritual or otherwise.

There's a bit of me wishes it wasn't so - I wouldn't mind another go at it all but I believe that it's humankind's ego that has invented the myth of the afterlife.

(Having read this back I'm pretty sure I shouldn't press 'Submit'.... oh, well!)
Randy Gilliam

San Antonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2013 12:52 pm     Plenty of Company!

Roger the non Believers are many,So you will have plenty of company, I Pray I am not one of them! Winking
Larry King

Watts, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2013 2:37 pm    

Gene

The words of the old hymn come to mind..."My Hope Is Built On Nothing Less Than Jesus' Blood And Righteousnes"
As a believer my faith is in God's Word and the promise of eternal life....the same eternal life that He promised the thief on the cross.

I realize that I'm ruffling some feathers here but there's a standard that I must maintain and support at the risk of denying what I believe .

I'm 10 years behind you and yet with recent heart issues I must admit that I've recently put my legal affairs in order and made some end of life decisions . I finally updated my will , completed an Advance Directive and a Durable Power of Attorney etc . I felt like it was time and the responsible thing to do .

I'm confident in the preparation {spiritual} that I've made and do not fear death whatsoever but rather see it as a celebration of life with an anticipation to life after death .

My best to you and my prayers are with you . God Bless

Larry King
richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2013 2:42 pm    

Smile

Last edited by richard burton on 23 Mar 2013 11:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jerry Humphries

Jasper, AL.
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2013 3:43 pm    

Larry i am with you. You could never convince me I would die and turn to eternal dust. With all love and respect to each person's belief, I choose to believe God's word is true and he will do what he said he would do.
J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2013 4:44 pm    

Gene, I am with Larry King. I'am a beleiver, born again Christian. When my switch is turned off I know where I will be. I had triple by-pass open heart surgery two years ago this coming May. I am well and doing good for 72 years old. But I have also realized the time is near and also put my affairs in order as Larry said. I have hoped to meet you and maybe I will have to take a day and just drive up and vist with you. I am in East Central OK.,(Keota)
I enjoy your post and I am sure you have tales to tell that cannot be put on the forum. Good luck and
best wishes to you and yours, Your New Friend, J.R.
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2013 4:46 pm    

I am thankful for my small speck of time on Earth and I have done my best to try to make it a better place for those living in it with me and those to follow. I can die knowing that when my time is up, I didn't waste what I had. That is enough for me.

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2013 4:59 pm     It's a tough thing to deal with................

I don't know where the last twenty years have disappeared to.

I don't dwell on dying but I am getting more and more up tight about the guys that have promised to carry by BIGSBY Quad up to the very pointy top of 11,340 foot Mt.Hood, in the Oregon Cascades. I've asked that it be placed there along with my ashes so as to serve as a grave marker of sorts.

I'm concerned that about 1/2 way up they might conspire to go back down the mountain and then hock the g'tar for whatever change they might realize.

Oh well.......then I worry about all of my JERRY BYRD records, tapes, CD's and other memorabilia and who is going to be able to continue to keep the my web site........jerrybyrd-fanclub.com........up and running.

So much to worry about and so little time to do so now that I'm nearly 77.
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2013 5:13 pm    

As for the prosaic considerations that come to mind, well I know that much of the clutter I've accumulated over seventy years is just that - clutter.

I really should dispose of several guitars so that there'll be less burden on my Susie (the odds are against me surviving her as she's just fifty-six). She has an idea of what is of any value (guitars, steels, amps) but my obsessions are less easy - a massive collection of books on London buses, countless photographs, hundreds of scale bus models, train stuff, and lots more.

This represents a lifetime of gathering of stuff that is important to me yet, as hard as it is to acknowledge, inconsequential to almost everyone else. That's fine, though - it's serving its purpose for me and has given me much pleasure even if it ends up in a skip one day...
Gordon Borland

San Antonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2013 7:35 pm     104

Mr Flores started Alamo Music Center and turned it over to his son Mr. Flores Jr. Jr. is 70 and still running the business. Jr. still goes by his dads house every morning before coming into the office. His dad is 104 years of age and has good advice about the company EVERY MORNING to this day!
I have known this family since the 1950's. I have worked for them since 1976. Here are some thoughts from Mr. Flores Sr. at 104 years old that I have learned over the years.
1. Take care of your self first before anyone or
anything else. Without your health you can't
take care of anything else.
2. Take care of your business.
3. Take care of your family.
4. Take care of your community.
Be able to deal with loss.
Be interested in life.
Use what you already have before trying to get more.
Faith is a tool. You can chose to use it or not. I use it in the way I was raised. It requires a decision not a feeling.
You are flying a jet in a thick fog with no radar and at some point of life you will hit an obstacle that will end your flight. Just enjoy the ride and be the best you can be everyday. If you are loved then give it back.
The above is what makes me smile everyday.
Tommy Shown

Denham Springs, La.
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2013 3:20 am    

Gene you have accomplished so much in life. I am 54. I lost my dad at age 63.The most important thing is to live it to it's fullest. God wants you live abundantly. I at times question the things I have learned and acheived through life. As I am starting to enter the late years. God has made you a wise man.
Tommy Shown.
Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 22 Mar 2013 4:16 am    

Since my father died young (54) and with my mother gone, I do think about the end of life. I've spent decades reading and studying various religious beliefs. Some philosophies ring more true than others.

Personally, I'm not concerned with what happens after I die. My guess is that nothing happens, it just ends. But I think I've lived a good life and if there is a life after, I'm sure they will take me.

What I don't believe is in an afterlife that punishes someone for not believing a narrow set of dogmas. The "my way or the highway" type of philosophy. I believe if there is a loving god, that it loves you regardless of your religious philosophy: My god, if there is one, accepts the atheist and the Jew, the Muslim and the christian, the Buddhist, the hindu and the Jain, the Mormon and the Scientology all the same.

For me it is not what happens after I die, I worry about what happens before. How will I get affordable health insurance. Will I have enough money to live a decent life. Will my children do well and have happy lives. Will the earth be able to sustain me and my grandchildren.

I try and take care of the life and figure if I do that, the afterlife will take care of itself.
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2013 4:27 am    

Well said, Bill - I've just made exactly that point to someone who sent me a 'private mail' asking "What if (I'm) wrong?"
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 22 Mar 2013 7:05 am    

Quote:
There's a bit of me wishes it wasn't so - I wouldn't mind another go at it all but I believe that it's humankind's ego that has invented the myth of the afterlife.

I'm with you, Roger, and to that person who sent you that PM I'd say, "What if he's right?"

Last edited by Barry Blackwood on 22 Mar 2013 7:09 am; edited 2 times in total
Clark Doughty

KANSAS
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2013 7:06 am     End of Life

What Mike said........... Very Happy and

For it is written, "AS I LIVE, SAYS THE LORD, EVERY KNEE SHALL BOW TO ME, AND EVERY TONGUE SHALL GIVE PRAISE TO GOD." Romans 14:11
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2013 8:40 am    

I'm only 58 and I think of it every day. In fact, when I go to bed every night, I pray I won't wake up the next morning.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 22 Mar 2013 10:07 am    

I don't know how many have sat by a loved one as they shuffled off this mortal coil but I was with my mother on her deathbed as she passed.

First, it is a very powerful experience.

One thing is crystal clear to me: you die alone. And there is a summing up, a between stage where the person is not of this world but not of the next one either and the person seems to be reconciling their life in front of you. But you and they are apart.

The nurse taking care of my grandmother claimed that my grandmother saw my deceased father on her deathbed. My mother didn't make any claim that she saw anyone but she was pretty out of it by then.
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2013 10:21 am    

Gene, this is something all of us should prepare for but most of us don't want to think about. When I was young, I rarely thought about it except for the passing on of my own loved ones. The older I get the more I think about getting my affairs in order because I realize it could come at any time.... regardless of years.
Allen Howington

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2013 10:51 am     Remember, Jesus died for all of us, period!

FIRST OF ALL THIS IS JUST GOING TO GENE AND NOT ANY NON-BELIEVERS. SO IF YOU ARE A NON-BELIEVER IN CHRISTIANITY, THEN PLEASE JUST PASS ON BY MY CHRISTIAN OPINION TO GENE.

MESSAGE TO GENE. Just read and study your Bible, and then follow your own hearts will. You have everything to gain by believing in God's word, and everything to lose if you don't, it's that simple. There will be life after death, promised by his own given blood for us all. This is given freely to us by him, if we only have faith in him and his word. This faith, per his own written words, can be as small as a mustard seed.