| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  powered reference speakers
Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2013 7:55 pm    

Any suggestions for powered reference speakers ? I am looking for small near field in the $400 or below per pair price range. Mostly interested in accuracy. The Tannoy Reveals look good but the M Audio series is cheaper. A couple buddies like the KRK stuff. I'm not a fan of Yamaha. I know everybody loved those NS10s but they make my ears tired.
I don't have the money for Genelecs and I'm wondering what the price point for "pretty good" is ?

Thanks

Downingtown, Pennsylvania
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2013 7:59 am    

Bob,

I bought the M-Audio AV40 set 5 months ago. I went to Sam Ash and spent an hour test driving selections in a lower price range, and chose this pair. I found that the midrange and high end were accurate enough for me, not so much the bass, but that is to be expected for this size, and I work around it. Overall, I found that it's a good fit for my Pro Tools setup.

Mike
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2013 9:09 am    

I have the Yamaha's and they are very accurate. Every detail of the recording stands out. But they ARE very tiring and don't have a warm pleasing tone for everyday, non-recording use. The KRK's were awesome for casual listening and sounded great as recording monitors but were not great for mixing. I added a small subwoofer to my Yahamas to get a fuller sound out of them for casual listening.

Greg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2013 9:35 am    

I have Samson Resolv6.5a studio monitor speakers. I've compared these to the studio monitors in the Focusrite VRM Box and they compare with the KRK's.
Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2013 10:31 am    

Bob, after using a lot of monitors I've settled on Adams for the last few years, they have recently come out with a smaller set getting raves at around $499 a piece. I know that's double what you're looking for, but in recording, monitors are a great place to invest.
Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2013 10:21 am    

I don't know if 5" woofers will do the job for you, but I noticed Sweetwater is having a sale on these JBLs, with a free mic. Probably decent monitors:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LSR2325P/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=gn-20130313
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2013 11:09 am    

Just checked my Yamaha model numbers. HS50M on the desktop with computer for mixing. HS80M in the recording room for playback. Both are crystal clear for recording uses. The subwoofer is an HS-10W and the monitor stands are On-Stage Stands SMS6000-P Studio Monitor Stand ($100 pair). There was a seller on ebay that was offering all of the speaker items for $100 less than Sweetwater or MF. In fact MF has the 80M's for $249 and the 50M for $149 now brand new.

Greg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2013 2:16 pm    

I had a set of MAudio SP5B's for a few years..we never bonded...not long ago MF had a blow out on Fostex PM-1 MK II's , a pair for $149 ! 6.5 " drivers and I think 120 watt's Bi-Amped. I couldn't go wrong for the price so I grabbed them...and we are already bonding...! Sold the SP5's for the same price ! Not a bad day !

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2013 8:47 pm    

I just ordered the Adams A3X. Guitar center has a $100 promo code on its site so it got a pair for just under $500. All the recording studio guys I talked to loved the Adams so I'll check them out. It looks like they need an interface so I'll be using my Mbox2 pro.

Thanks for the advise ! It got me on the right track.

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2013 12:25 pm    

I think you'll like the Adams. I've been using A7s with a KRK sub for a long while and been very satisfied. Pretty much unvarnished realism and yet not fatiguing.
Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2013 3:56 pm    

Just hooked the adams up. Woo hoo ! Sounds freakin awesome ! I feel like a dumbass for waiting so long to get real speakers. Whole new ballgame.

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2013 9:05 pm    

My Event TR8-XL pair has served me well for several years now.

Carter D-10 & Peavey Nashville 1000

www.16tracks.com
Daryl Thisdelle

New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2013 3:21 pm     Adams

I know you guys were talking about speakers in the $400.00 range. I have a pair of Adams S3A's and I tell ya boy do they sound nice. I also have a pair of Equators Q-12's and they are over the top. I have a rather high end recording studio in my house so I kind of went all out. Keep in mind, spend money wisely, know what you are buying. Buy what you really need.

Daryl
Williams 700 Keyless SD 12 String Universal Lacguer Body Wood Neck Alumitone Pick Up GD Walker Stereo Steel Amp Preamp Combo With 2x15 inch JBL Speakers In Tuned Cabinets, Hilton Digital Sustain Pedal, Telonics Volume Pedal. Steel Seat With Back Rest And Swivel And Adjustable Legs. George L Cables. BJS Bar. Nookies Thumb Pick National Finger Picks. Jagwires Petterson Strobo Plus HD Tuner
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2013 12:32 pm    

I just upgraded my studio monitors to JBL LSR308's. Big improvement over the Samson Resolv 6.5a's that I had been using, and I thought the Samson's were very good.

But, I was having some problems with low end on mixdowns (and mastering with Ozone 5), many times I would have to remix the bass as it was too loud, when I would play the songs on other CD players. With the JBL's with an 8" woofer and more low range I should be able to do better mixes, especially on the low end.

I was looking at several different speakers, including the Yamaha's but after asking my Sweetwater sales rep (who is straight talking and not just a salesman) he recommended the JBL's and told me they were selling well and in his words "flowing out of here like water". I discounted the popular KRK's as just about every review of the new model KRK's was not good. I had asked the sales rep about the Behringers which get some good reviews if you forget they have the Behringer name on them but he said "we stock them but rarely sell any".
John Gould

Houston, TX Now in Cleveland TX
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2013 12:37 pm    

The Best thing I have heard in a long time for under a grand a pair are the Equator D8's they are amazing.
I would check them out before making a speaker decision
Niels Andrews

Salinas, California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2013 3:12 pm    

Mackie are pretty good I have the 8's.
John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2013 7:43 pm    

I have spent 30 something years on NS-10s, and generally use Tannoys for a bigger monitor....I do have a set of the Equator D8's showing up on my doorstep this coming week to take for a spin....
John Gould

Houston, TX Now in Cleveland TX
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2013 10:56 pm    

John let us know what you think if the D8's
I heard them at GrooveWorks Studios in Santa Monica
and they sounded great. Great Image and I heard things in tracks I had never heard before. I could hear edits in tracks that I had never heard as well.
John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2013 4:46 pm    

Will do---I think they are being delivered on Wednesday...
John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2013 10:16 pm    

Got the Equators unpacked and setup today--will take 'em for a test drive tomorrow...
John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2013 10:17 pm    

Got the Equators unpacked and setup today--will take 'em for a test drive tomorrow...
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2013 3:33 am    

I just finished mixing/mastering (with Izotope Ozone 5) a 10 song CD project for a singer with the JBL LSR308's. This was the first project. I didn't have to go back and change the bass on any of them, it was just right. With the old Samson Resolv 6.5a's that I had, I always ended up with some that had too much bass.
John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2013 8:44 pm    

Wow, spent a good chunk of the afternoon listening to the D8's with a lot of reference music...these things sound awesome--the imaging is outstanding and I love the accuracy of the midrange. Bottom end is nice, though I will end up adding a sub to them...overall, I think they compete well with monitors that cost double the price...can't wait to mix a tune on them...
Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2013 6:10 pm    

I agree with Jack on the Samson 6.5 monitors. I have only had them a short time but I burned a CD after mixing and when I played it through a stereo or in my car the bass was too loud.
Ulrich Sinn

California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2013 7:15 pm    

I had to strong arm the people of guitarcenter to demo the powered Tannoys for me. I fried my passive Tannoy Reds which I was very happy with.

I did end up buying a pair (no subwoofer).

Can't really offer an opinion because they are not really positioned correctly in my listening environment.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Tannoy,Powered-Monitors-Studio-Monitors.gc