| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Best Strings and tuning for D-8 24.5 Stringmaster
Lefty

Grayson, Ga.
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2013 6:51 am    

If you think this sounds like a newbie to an eight string, then you are correct. I play E9 and C6 10-string PSG and 6 string lap, but this is new territory for me.
I figure since I turn 60 this year I need a new challenge(other than explaining to my wife that I bought another guitar). I just bought a 59 or 60 D-8 and would appreciate advice concerning tunings and strings. Also what challenges I will face converting it to left-handed playing.
Thanks in advance,
Lefty
Lefty

Grayson, Ga.
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2013 2:40 am    

I did a search and found quite a bit. I think I will try Bobbie Lee's tunings for a while.
The C6th will be familiar, and the E13th a challange.
Scotty's official strings are available in those tunings and I will try those as they are what I like for PSG. I probably should have kept the 7/8 bar I sold though.
Lefty
Keith Cary

California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2013 8:31 am     stringmaster

Yeah, man, did you check out the thread on E9 tuning for non-pedal? It's pretty cool and might be just the thing for one of your necks, since you're already used to it. C6 w/high G for the other one, of course. And I think you could use sets of pedal steel strings, if yours is only .5" longer than 24". I go with the heaviest strings I can. -- You will want a smaller bar than what you use on your pedal steel.
J Fletcher

London,Ont,Canada
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2013 2:07 pm    

Hi Lefty
You could take the guitar apart easy enough, and swap the two necks around, that way the front neck would now be elevated slightly from the back neck. Don't think it would be as pretty as it was before switching the necks around though. As it is now, if you play left handed, the lower neck is on the outside.
The two necks come apart no problem. This might be something you would want to do with a "beater" or project Stringmaster, not one in nice condition.
Jerry
Jean-Sebastien Gauthier

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2013 4:03 pm    

I use C13 with a high G and E9 and I can do all I need with these 2. Im not a great player but I can do swing, blues, hawaiian, folk, country with these 2 tunings.