| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Playing with backing tracks
Billy Henderson

Portland, AR, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2013 7:50 am    

What is the key to playing with backing tracks? Seems like I am either ahead or behind them. How can I fix that?
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2013 8:11 am    

Do lots of practicing with a metronome or drum machine. Just force yourself to play to that click, at lots of different tempos. Learn to play right on the beat, in front, behind, really get to feel where the pulse is and where you are relative to it. If the machine has different feels - swing, shuffle, and so on - work on playing to them.
Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2013 8:12 am    

I would suggest playing with backing tracks until you get to the point that you can play with backing tracks.. Cool
Richard Damron

Gallatin, Tennessee, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2013 8:52 am    

The art of listening should not be underestimated.

If you know the tune in question - REALLY know the tune - then you should be able to play a track, sit back and relax, and hear the melody as you listen to the sequence of chord changes.

Since most music is composed in sections of 4, 8, or 16 measures, your internal "measure counter" - in conjunction with the sequence of chord changes - should allow you to mentally divide any tune into those blocks of melody/harmony before you attempt to actually sit down and play with the accompaniment.

I believe this to be an indispensible technique for those not accustomed to finding themselves in the middle of a group of musicians.

In short, play the tune in your mind - if not your voice, singing - before you take the plunge.

If you then add Dave's suggestion regarding tempo and time into the equation, then you should be close to crunch time.

Richard
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2013 9:38 am    

I like Dave and Richard's comments. (while Ken's are tautologically terse, they're spot on as well: even better than when playing with others. good live musicians will hear your error and adjust the song to make it sound less erroneous, and you want to learn to follow the songs)
Also take heart: at least you recognize it. I've watched some musicians end up at the end of their solos several bars early (most notably Mick Mars of Mötley Crüe, who completed his 16 bar ride just as the bass was going to the V at bar 13. I suspect chemistry at play).
You just need to listen to both what you play and the other folks play.
Much better to learn to listen as you play while in the basement; I had to do it at jam sessions and gigs

Last edited by Lane Gray on 7 Mar 2013 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2013 10:28 am    

I agree about Ken's comment. I didn't really take it as flippant, just terse. You just have to do it till you CAN do it.

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2013 12:49 pm    

Okay
Here is another idea.. maybe turn up the volume of the backing tracks a little and take your steel down a notch.
In order to hear a more balanced mix. Sometimes we focus so hard as to block out other instruments.
Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2013 2:07 pm    

Billy,

Everyone is assuming the issue is your pace during the playing. Perhaps you are talking about when/where to start? This is usually easy with instructional material as most often the sample track provided demonstrates the starting point. For other backing tracks, though, it can be tough. I have tracks with no drum clicks or count, others with clicks that line up with the lead-in or pick-up notes are, and others that line up with the first full bar.

In the case of the former, and possibly the other situations I would consider using a free program like Audacity to edit the clicks or counts to a method you like that is consistent. You could record yourself doing a count and put each number into the track and delete the clicks. You can count down to where the pick up notes start if you want. Herby Wallace uses a four-count system to the start of the pick-up notes, but varies which note he starts on to denote the count to the first full bar. For example, in The Night Life, which typically has 3 notes before the first full bar, he would count "2, 3, 4, 1".

Doug

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2013 4:33 pm    

I find Karaoke discs very useful.
Richard Durrer

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2013 5:31 pm    

I agree with Allan re: the Karaoke tracks. You can download custom tracks ( very small fee) that have all the instruments on separate tracks. You can then build your mix with and without the steel part. This is a great learning tool. Or, just record your favorite song (using Audacity) and just learn and play the steel parts. I do both, and it works for me!

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2013 10:39 pm    

Maybe try singing the steel part you want to play along to the tracks a couple times before you try it with your steel.

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2013 7:02 am    

You can't change the tempo with backing tracks. Try a metronome. Dial back the tempo until you can play in time. Sometimes it helps to try different devices. For example, I can't stand to woodshed to beeps, it's like playing with R2D2. I have a metronome app that sounds like a snare, so when I'm running scales or tunes, it feels like I'm locking in with a drummer.
Michael Hummel

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2013 11:22 am    

Stephen:

You CAN change the tempo!

If you are lucky enough to find (buy) a MIDI version of the song you are working on, you can certainly change the tempo in the sequencer you use to play it.

Even a karaoke (audio) version can have its tempo changed. Even the most rudimentary playback applications will allow time/tempo changes.

For the band I am working with now, I find the $5 fee to buy a MIDI version of the song well worthwhile; I can use it at any speed to practice along with, and my software can convert it to a lead sheet, or a full piano chord version.

But the main thread here is to learn how to play along with tracks. As has been said before, you have to learn how to count and just do it, which just takes lots of practice.

Jeff Newman has an instructional video of "How to play on a Bandstand" which may be of some help.

Mike