| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pickup for Single 8 Advice Needed
Nate Hofer

Overland Park, Kansas
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2013 5:45 am    

All, I'm in need of the collective wisdom.

I've started a custom order with Ron at RAM guitars for a Speak Easy single 8 string lap steel and when it comes to the pickup choice I'm not sure how to proceed.

I'm interested in a vintage tone (thinking Bigsbys) that provides the full spectrum of highs and lows. Especially lows. (In fact, I've always rolled the highs off all my past guitars and amps.) My current 1954 Stringmaster can get close but not all the way. I love the Joaquin Murphy and Vance Terry and Speedy sounds. Big and brash.

He offers:
• a Vintage Vibe Charlie Christian clone pickup (which looks amazing)
• a Lollar Console Grande pickup clone
• a Lace pedal steel pick up

By the way, Ron has been great to work with. I love his attention to detail when it comes to custom fitting a guitar to a future owner. I'm paralleling a similar question with him but I also was interested in some opinions here as well.

Last edited by Nate Hofer on 5 Mar 2013 6:05 am; edited 1 time in total
James Trout

Louisville, KY
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2013 5:56 am     Lap Steel Pickup

I am not much of a lap steel player, but I have a George L (I think it is for 10 string guitar) on an 8 string lap steel that was built for me by Caroll Benoit. I haven't done much comparison, but it seems very low end heavy to me. I'm not for sure if the body style or type of wood has anything to do with it either - mine is more of a guitar body shape, about 1 1/2 inch thick solid poplar.
Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2013 6:01 am    

I don't think you can make a wrong choice, Solomon. That being said, I've never heard a complaint about a Lollar pick up.

Helsinki, Finland
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2013 6:48 am    

I just got a Lace 4" for my 8 string Danelectroish maple project, too bad it's gonna take couple months before i can compare that to my old George L.
Nate Hofer

Overland Park, Kansas
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2013 7:34 am    

See, I'm pretty sure I don't want a modern pedal steel pickup in there. I know that sound. (I call it "The Convention Sound".) Not good or bad - just not me. And I play pedal steel so I sorta save that tone for that instrument.

So I'm leaning toward either the CC or the Console Grande.
Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2013 7:39 am    

I wonder if Todd Clinesmith sells his Bigsby clone pickups ala carte. Might be worth a phone call. Otherwise I might favor the Christian.
Jerome Hawkes

Fayetteville, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2013 8:21 am    

TK Smith is making a killer Bigsby repro pu, but they ain't cheap and I don't think he is tooled up for 8 string.
I don't think you will go wrong with the cc or grande as long as you don't get a hot wind - these early pups were low output but they spanked... you want a pickup IMO, that will "hold together" when pushed. The breakup came from low power amps.

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2013 9:27 am    

Solomon, it's the same question I'm pondering as I get ready to order mine. And we're sure on the same page re: vintage style vs modern style pickups.

Of course, not all the early Gibsons used CC pickups either, so CC is not necessarily "vintage correct" - depends on the model and year. Until or unless I can find out what they sound like side by side, I'm leaning Console Grande - I just like the look. Thinking amber knobs too. There's a great pic of two Speak Easys with those two pickups together at the RAM Facebook site BTW. I'd post it but not without Ron's say-so.

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2013 9:48 am    

Personally I prefer the sound of the EH-150 "Charlie Christian" pickup over that of the Console Grande. I'm sure Jason Lollar's pickups will give you the sound you want either way.
Nate Hofer

Overland Park, Kansas
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2013 9:56 pm    

Brad Bechtel wrote:
Personally I prefer the sound of the EH-150 "Charlie Christian" pickup over that of the Console Grande. I'm sure Jason Lollar's pickups will give you the sound you want either way.

Brad, I'd like to hear your reason! Sounds like you have a better idea of how to compare them than I do.
Gary Meixner

New York, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2013 7:41 am    

Solomon,

I have built several guitars over the past few years and tried many diffrent pickups searching for that sound. I have tried the Vintage Vibe CC and Alumatone as well as George L on my 8 string guitars and on my six string steels a whole bunch of diffrent pups. None of my creations have come close to the chracater of my Richenbacher B6 or Gibson Console. They have all sounded good but not exactly what I was looking for. Of the three eight string models, the Alumitone had the most distictive sound. Very clear, open and quiet. I have a Truetone waiting to try in my next project. My guitars have all been made from either ash, poplar or hard maple. There is no doubt that the wood will have a big influence as well. The Vintage Vibe pickup does have the option of changing the magnets. This is something that I haven't experimented with and may make a big diffrence. As some one said earlier, none of these would be a bad choice, they all sound very good. I must admitt that cost has had some influence on my choices as well and it may be that some of the more expensive options are really bargins in disguise. Right now I have my VVCC pickup in a seven string, ash body guitar with a 22.5 scale. I think to be fair I should try it in a longer scale guitar as well, but still my Gibson and Ricky are 22.5 and sound spectactular. Feel free to contact me if you want to know more.

Best of luck,

Gary Meixner
Mike Anderson

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2013 9:22 am    

With Ron's permission, here are a couple of fine-looking Speak Easys with the CC and Console Grande.