| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  String gauges and string care
Phil Halton

Holyoke, Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2013 7:06 am    

I'm just buying some new strings after a long while of inactivity. I have a Carter S10 (not a starter), and wonder if going from a .017 to a .018 on the 5th string will cause me any problems? I ask because I tried a .011.5 on the 3rd string once and the B pedal couldn't handle the extra weight without cutting a link off the spring. Also, I see that most sets use a .013 on the first string now and I've been using a .012. Any trouble there?

Second topic - string care.
I like to use a blitz cloth to clean the strings. It works great on the plain steel, but what about the wounds? I hear that it'll gunk up the windings and prematurely kill the tone on the wounds. If true, what method for cleaning the wound strings without shortening tone life?

thanks.

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2013 7:19 am    

Phil--the Carter has a 24" scale (same as Sho-Bud, a little shorter than some other guitars) and in theory it benefits from the heavier string. And in practice I've had no problems at all with the .018. Required some minor pedal retuning at the nylon nut. I also use .013 on 1. You will have to make your own final decisions based on how the strings sound, balance-wise (ie 5 & 6 together, etc).
I've had no problems with a .012 on 3 on a Carter but that's another discussion.