| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hi folks, an introduction
Yossi Katz

Israel
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2013 12:20 pm    

Just wanted to introduce myself, My name is Yossi, I live in Israel and I'm working on learning lap steel guitar.

I converted my electric guitar that I never play to a lap steel, put new strings on it, and started learning C6 tuning.

Recently, on a trip to the States, I purchased an Epiphone Electar lap steel from 1938. The serial number on the back of the neck is 5217 (hard to read the first digit, could be a 3 or 5). In the case, was an envelope postmarked 1940, some old tab of songs "Beatuful Kahana", "Old Plantation", "Blue Hawaii" and an old Hawaiian Steel Guitar Fingerboard from Kamiki Publications (EAEAC#E, low to high) Copyright 1922. Also in the case were some old Epiphone replacement strings. Pretty cool!

The leather case of the handle was broken and falling off and I replaced it with a new leather handle.

The guitar plays really nice, great tone. Here's of picture of it.

I've been picking mandolin, so this is a real challenge to learn and play well. I'm loving it! Glad I found the forum and that there is such a good community of people out there helping each other out.

All the best, Yossi
William Springer

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2013 12:45 pm     Cool Guitar

Cool looking guitar ... I've never heard of the brand - but I'm just getting into Steel myself ... I have an early 50s Fender double neck with 8 strings each without pedals ... I've been playing Dobro 2 years and guitar for 30 BUT this steel thing is over my head ... I just ordered the book by Winnie Winston ... http://www.amazon.com/dp/082560169X/ref=pe_175190_21431760_3p_M3T1_ST1_dp_i1 ...

All these best ... Let me know about anything that will help us beginners ...

Optimistically,
Will(ys) Springer
o|||o Keep Rollin'

From North Carolina ...
Don Kona Woods

Hawaiian Kama'aina
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2013 12:53 pm    

Yossi,

You have made a good start with your purchase of a nice lap steel and you also have several nice Hawaiian tunes to begin your steel guitar journey.

Welcome to the Forum.

Shalom
Don
Dennis Smith

Covington, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2013 2:16 pm    

Hi Yossi, nice looking Epi I've understand they sound good. Good luck learning C6. I would get a copy of Doug Beaumier 25 song for lap steel in C6 also he has 25 more songs. Easy to understand songs.

William the book you ordered is for steel guitar not lap steel I have a copy from when I tried pedals steel and don't think it would be of much help on lap.
Dennis
Tom Pettingill

California, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2013 5:47 am    

Hi Yossi and welcome to both the forums and the world of steel guitar Very Happy