| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Telonics Volume Pedal
Dennis Manuel

Quesnel, B.C., Canada
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2013 4:19 pm    

Not sure how to ask this question but here goes.

When the Telonics volume pedal is at full volume, is the top of the pedal flat, or, angled back slightly?
Jack Copp

Los Banos, California
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2013 5:15 pm    

Had to go look. Mine is angled back.
Dave Bertoncini

Sun City West, Arizona USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2013 5:53 pm    

Have a low profile...it is angled back a bit too
Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2013 8:18 pm    

Noter that the Telonics has 10 degrees more travel than most other pedals (and it feels just fine that way)...so you get either a slightly more gradual change in volume, or you select their special taper that has standard increase plus an additional volume boost in the last 10 degrees...
Dave Beaty

Mesa, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2013 9:10 pm     Telonics F-100 Treadle Position at full volume

Hi Dennis,
Actually, full volume can be any way you want it with a simple change via software using the USB port.

Normally, FP-100 pedals are shipped from the factory with a default program which provides MINIMUM/off volume with the heel fully down/toe fully up.
MAXIMUM volume, in this case, is obtained with the toe fully DOWN.

The actual level of volume output with the toe fully down is a function of which taper you have chosen.
The selection of tapers 1 thru 5 results in unity gain, i.e., with the toe fully down, the output precisely equals the input level. Taper 6 however, actually provides additional gain for extended sustain.

There are many players who are disciples of the great Gerald Lester "Jerry" Byrd (March 9, 1920 – April 11, 2005), who have learned to play with their pedals set up such that maximum volume occurs with the heel fully DOWN/toe fully UP. The Telonics FP-100 pedals will instantly reverse the factory default functions and operate in this manner when this "reverse" function is selected in the USB setup menus.

So, despite what they say these days, you really can "have it both ways".

Hope that helps, if you need a .PDF of the manual for this product, you may download one from Telonics distributor's web sites, or let me know and I will be happy to email one to you.
All the best!
Dave
Dave Beaty

Mesa, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2013 8:54 am     Range of motion

Dennis,
I neglected to mention that if you are concerned about the actual physical angle of the movable treadle portion of the FP-100 pedals when in the toe-down (maximum volume) position, we can actually adjust that to suit your particular needs. We have a lot of user's with ankle problems due to injury, etc. We are able to set up a pedal to suit their particular needs. Let me know if you need something special.
Dave
Dennis Manuel

Quesnel, B.C., Canada
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2013 3:45 pm    

Dave:
I have basically always used an Emmons Volume Pedal. I recently purchased a Goodrich pedal but can not get used to the treadle being flat at full volume. Sort of like driving a car and having the throttle flat to the floor instead of up against the firewall.
Dave Beaty

Mesa, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2013 9:48 am     Pedal angle

OK Dennis, 'now' I understand.
With regard to Telonics FP-100 pedals, we can set the angular range of the treadle to whatever range you wish it to be, and, we can set the heel down and toe down angles to be whatever you wish them to be. Define it and we can do it.

For your present pedal as a temporary fix/patch, you might consider either changing the front feet to taller ones, or using the two threaded holes at the front of your pedal for screws which hold a block in place with feet on it, which produces the angle you are used to with the toe fully down. That might help, but it also might be that the resultant heel-down position isn't exactly what you want.

If you know Carco Clave in Nashville, he has devised an ingenious, small, simple adaptor which he uses on tour with the Grassy Knoll Boys. It makes attaching an FP-100 pedal to his Emmons D-10 PP a snap! He goes to a lot of Steel Guitar shows and always has his pedal with him. He will be at the TSGA show in Dallas in a few days, on-stage and in the non-pedal room.

You could also make or buy an Emmons-type adaptor with the two fingers and a hole for the drop-pin if you are playing an Emmons or Emmons-like guitar.
The picture below is an example of an Emmons adaptor made by Hilton, which fits readily on a Telonics FP-100 series pedal.

Just a few thoughts, hope they are of some value in your thinking.
Dave

Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2013 11:21 am    

I needed some custom angle considerations for my new pedal but when I tried the Telonics pedal it worked great for me as is.
I am very impressed with the stock unit.
Thank You