| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How to personalize you Peterson Strobo Flip Tuner
Sid Hudson

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2013 7:54 am    

I have spent many hours coming up with a customized set of numbers to install into my “Peterson Strobo Flip’s User banks that would put my Emmons guitar accurate tune since the provided E9 and C6th settings never came close for me.

How to program your Peterson “Strobo Flip” tuner to E9th Emmons settings.

The 1st button on Your strobo flip is the “off” button
The 2nd button is “On”
The 3rd button is “TMPR/Program” button
The 7th button is the “SAVE” button.
The two (large) buttons are the Up and Down Arrow keys.

Familiarize yourself with the location of these buttons before proceeding.

1. Make sure the tuner is off.
2. Press and hold down the “TMPR/Program” button and then press the “On” button
3. Release both.

Now you are in the program mode.

1. Press the “TMPR/Program” button and the letter “C” will pop up on the screen.
2. In the right/lower corner of the screen you will see +00.0 this is correct. Do not change
3. Press the “TMPR/Program” button again. Now you see C# on the screen.
4. By using the up/down arrow keys set C# to -16.7
5. Press “TMPR/Program” button and now you will see “D”-------set to -07.6

6. Press “TMPR/Program” to go to D#-----set to -09.7
7. Press “TMPR/Program” to go to E-------set to 00.0
8. Press “TMPR/Program” to go to F-------set to -27.8
9. Press “TMPR/Program” to go to F#------set to +02.5
10. Press “TMPR/Program” to go to G-------set to -03.7
11. Press “TMPR/Program” to go to G#-----set to -12.2
12. Press “TMPR/Program” to go to A-------set to -06.4
13. Press “TMPR/Program” to go to A#-----set to 00.0
14. Press “TMPR/Program” to go to B-------set to +01.3
15. Press “TMPR/Program” to go to E-------set to 00.0

16. Press “TMPR/Program” and now you are being asked if you want to SAVE?
17. Press the “SAVE” button (THE LAST BUTTON ON THE STROBO FLIP)

Cut the “Strobo Flip off. Remember! Your personal setting are stored in (S 1).

To Use:
1. Press the On button
2. Press “TMPR/Program” button
3. Use the “Lower arrow Button” and scroll down to (S 1)
4. These offsets are for the E9th neck ONLY
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The offsets for the C 6th Neck
They need to be programmed into a separate “user bank”.
I used (S 2) for the C6th Neck.

1. Make sure the tuner is off.
2. Press and hold down the “TMPR/Program” button and then press the “On” button
3. Release both.

The little arrow on the screen is pointing at (S 1).

4. Press the (UP) (“Big arrow button”) and now the little arrow on the screen will be pointing at (S 2).

5. Press “TMPR/Program” to go to C and set to----- +08.2
6. Press “TMPR/Program” to go to C# set to---------- -01.5
7. Press “TMPR/Program” to go to D set to ------------ +13.8
8. Press “TMPR/Program” to go to D# set to ------- +06.6
9. Press “TMPR/Program” to go to E set to ---------- -03.2
10. Press “TMPR/Program” to go to F set to------------ +03.4
11. Press “TMPR/Program” to go to F# set to ----------- -15.1
12. Press “TMPR/Program” to go to G set to ------------ +12.2
13. Press “TMPR/Program” to go to G# set to ----------- -18.3
14. Press “TMPR/Program” to go to A set to -------------- -06.0
15. Press “TMPR/Program” to go to A# set to ----------- +03.6
16. Press “TMPR/Program” to go to B set to ------------- -03.8
17. Press “TMPR/Program” to go E (it is already set to -03.2)
18. Press “TMPR/Program” HIT SAVE, and turn Turner off.

Great News!

Now that you have all of the Offsets programmed into your Peterson Strobo Flip Tuner, you can now tune everything on your Steel Guitar (Knee levers---Pedals----Tune Guitar Open) simply by tuning ever string to the point where the “Graph” on the screen stops moving.

(Assuming you have chosen the proper bank) Ex: S1 or S2.

Last edited by Sid Hudson on 20 Feb 2013 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dan Hatfield

Columbia, Mo USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2013 12:44 pm    

Sid, having done basically the same thing for myself on my VS-II several years ago, I realize how much time and effort you put into this. Thank you so much on behalf of steelers everywhere; this is a great service and hopefully many players will take advantage of this and simplify their tuning process.
Billy McCombs

Bakersfield California, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2013 4:16 pm    

Sid are these tuneings for a PP or all pull? Does it matter which. I have been useing the Buddie Emmons chart programed it to my Strob flip for my all pull Emmons. Thanks I will give yours a try.
78 Emmons PP,Great tone.82 Emmons SKH #56
Billy Webb

Oroville, Cal. USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2013 4:37 pm     Sid Hudson/ Peterson tuner:

SID!! What a noble gesture on your part, sharing this info.with the PSG community. I have never been really satisfied with my Emmons p/p tuning, but this has to be the magic bullet. Thanks again. (BILLY WEBB)
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2013 8:53 pm    

Billy M, every guitar will want slightly different numbers. Whether Sid's or Newman's, they may need adjustment for your guitar.
Sid Hudson

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2013 5:46 am    

Billy McCombs wrote:
Sid are these tuneings for a PP or all pull? Does it matter which. I have been useing the Buddie Emmons chart programed it to my Strob flip for my all pull Emmons. Thanks I will give yours a try.

Billy, I think Lane maybe correct. These numbers are going to get you extremely close.

The good news; once you have programmed these offsets into your tuner you will have a feel of how to change them if you feel the need.

Play your guitar a little and if you feel something is a little sharp or flat, take a reading on that particular note, go to the program mode and make the adjustments that suits you.

If anyone has the New Style Peterson Tuner that just came out, my tuning offsets are listed on Peterson's website and have to be downloaded. I believe they are Titled e9H and c6H

Sid
Billy Webb

Oroville, Cal. USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2013 8:41 pm     Peterson Tuner:

HEY SID!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BINGO!!!!!! Man what difference. our guitars must be soul mates, your offsets fits my p/p, to a tee.Your step by step instructions on the strobe flip gave me the initiative to go ahead and dig a little deeper into the tuner.I see and understand it a lot better now. I had open heart surgery back in 06 it left me with a couple of strokes and paralysis on my left side, I was in the hospital for two month, by the time I was released every thing on the left side except my hand, had came back pretty good.I played lead guitar(six string) for 40 yrs and became contender but that's all gone but I can still hold a tone bar pretty good and I have a thing going with this BLACK Emmons D-10-P/p 8&6 and now it sounds like it should, thanks to you.Ill hit 80 yrs in June, so I gotta hurry up and getter done. Thanks again (BILLY WEBB)
Don Drummer

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2013 9:24 pm    

I just flat my thirds.
Rick Lawrence

Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2013 7:31 pm    

Thank you very much Sid for posting this and putting in the work and time. I programmed this into my Strobo-Flip and I noticed it sounds more in tune to my ears on my PSG than the sweetened E9th setting built into the tuner. Is that programmed tuning based on Jeff Newman's tuning ?
Billy Knowles

Kenansville, N. C. 28349 usa
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2013 7:47 pm     ear

Sid has a great ear as well as being a great musician.
Charlie Paterno

Westerly, Rhode Island, USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2013 1:04 pm    

What new model Peterson tuner replaces the strobo-flip?
CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2013 3:20 pm    

http://www.petersontuners.com/index.cfm?category=197&scID=77

http://www.petersontuners.com/index.cfm?category=197

John Scanlon

Jackson, Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2013 3:55 pm    

One problem I see with programming my Peterson and reconciling it with Jeff Newman's recommended tempered tuning chart is that the open F# strings have one cent value, and the bent-to-F# note (with C pedal) on the open E string has a different value. So you can't tune the pedal and the open string to the same note if you use JN's tempered chart or something similar. Same thing is true on the E lever-engaged D# versus the open D# second string -- also the open D (low) versus the second string D note when that half-step lever is engaged.

Just an observation. Any thoughts out there on that? I guess the obvious answer is use it as a starting point and adjust to taste.
Dave Bertoncini

Sun City West, Arizona USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2013 4:05 pm    

You have to store the different values in another separate user setting...at least that is what I have done.
Adam Moritz

Cedar Rapids, IA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2013 9:39 am    

last night i programmed my stroboflip with the above mentioned e9 settings. all i can say is it made my AF pedal configurations sound soooooo much better. Thanks for this, i don't know how i missed it after all these tuning threads.
Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2013 10:18 am     The new Strobo-plus HD...

Has anyone done a tuning/programming cheat sheet for The new Strobo-plus HD yet. The tuners are cheap enough, but I heard a CD that explanes how to use it costs $35 bucks. Now that's a good way to sell tuners... I could be wrong, I was once before.

Last edited by Dick Sexton on 3 Mar 2013 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2013 10:59 am    

Dick, isn't that what Sid did did up at the top of this very page? It has both the values, and how to enter them.
Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2013 12:30 pm     Strobo HD

Lane, your right, Sids instructions work perfectly for the "Strobo-Flip". I tried them in mine and they were easy to do and I had no problems. I was speaking of the New Strobo-plus HD... The book for the Strobo flip is easy enough to follow, once you know where the controls are. The New Strobo-plus HDs book is not. At least not for me. I was just wondering if anyone had done, what Sid did for Flip, for the new HD model...
Sid Hudson

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2013 1:42 pm    

Dick, it is my understanding that on the New tuner you have to connect the tuner via USB to your computer and then go to the Peterson website to enter any personal tunings.

Seems like a lot of trouble but that's what I am told by a dealer.

I am also told that my set of numbers are on the site as well although I have not taken the time to verify it for myself.
Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2013 2:07 pm     USBing it...

Sid thank you for answering... I appreciate you, your playing and what you've done with sharing this research. I've been on the Strobo folks site. Found little if any information on how it is to be done. The book says to connect, little more. It may be, that the site is not finished. I was able to up grade the software in my Stroboplus HD this morning, after down loading the program that allows you to register your unit, twice. I'm pretty computer savy, I can't imagine someone who is not, trying to get this done, with the instructions supplied. All I am saying is, I'm glad I have the Stroboflip to fall back on. By the way, I think the Stroboflip is a great tuner and once I programed in my own offsets, even better.
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2013 4:13 pm    

As one who has no net access on my computer (unless I want to pay Verizon's tethering charges) I'd regard that as unfortunate.
I live in the country, where my only access options for a computer are laptop, satellite or Verizon (nobody else's towers have coverage) or give it up and use a smartphone.
Any vendor of a gadget requiring online registration or software updates can forget my business: I'd mail it back telling them it ain't working.
It's nice to know that folks throw rural folk under the proverbial bus.

Last edited by Lane Gray on 4 Mar 2013 4:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2013 3:10 am    

The majority of users do have internet access, nowadays. I saw one post on this forum from someone who bought a Sonic Research Turbo Tuner ST122a (which has both Newman and Emmons steel tunings) return it because they wanted the new StroboPlus HD because it could be setup via the PC.
John Scanlon

Jackson, Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2013 6:46 am    

Dave Bertoncini wrote:
You have to store the different values in another separate user setting...at least that is what I have done.

Ah. That makes sense. I discovered this when I used to program my StroboStomp I for tuning my steel. Now that I graduated tuners, I usually use the preset E9 setting in my StroboStomp II with sharp Es (there's another E9 setting in there with Es not sharped). I wonder if it has the same issue.
Sue Haslam

Peterson Strobe Tuners, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2013 1:25 pm    

Hi Guys

The StroboPlus can be used right out of the box. There is no need to connect it to a computer before use.
It already has more preset settings for pedal steel guitar, dobro and lap steel (and much more) than any other tuner.

Registering the warranty If you do not have a computer or web access and would like to register your tuner, please feel free to contact us by phone and I'll register your StroboPlus for you - 708-388-3311.

Programming custom tunings If you want to design custom tunings, you can do that via our Peterson Connect website which is not very complicated and keeps your settings safe and accessible from anywhere.
Remember that the StroboPlus already has the correct charts for E9 & C6 (both Jeff Newman's old and new charts), Universal 12 string and the Emmons Co. charts for E9 & C6 already built-in, no need for a computer.
Also the Dobro and Lap Steel presets people may be familiar with from our other tuners are already preprogrammed in the StroboPlus.

We are working on an instructional video and a written guide. There will be no charge to view the video on our site or to have the guide mailed or emailed to you.
Custom tunings can be shared with others by sharing them on the PetersonConnect site. There is a Share button at the bottom of the screen. In order to share a tuning, the person you are sharing with has to have a StroboPlus or Stomp Classic and have registered it with PetersonConnect.

Our new Help Video should be online by the end of the week. Until then if you have any questions please feel free to contact us

Thanks,
Sue
Jerry Jones

Franklin, Tenn.
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2013 1:49 pm    

Quote:
One problem I see with programming my Peterson and reconciling it with Jeff Newman's recommended tempered tuning chart is that the open F# strings have one cent value, and the bent-to-F# note (with C pedal) on the open E string has a different value. So you can't tune the pedal and the open string to the same note if you use JN's tempered chart or something similar. Same thing is true on the E lever-engaged D# versus the open D# second string -- also the open D (low) versus the second string D note when that half-step lever is engaged.

Not sure how the Strobo Tuner works, but on my Cleartune, I just use the setting for one F# as a basis point, then make note of the difference in cents for the other F#. Same with other unison changes.