| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  ***Buyers Beware ***
Dennis Wireman

North West Indiana 47978
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2013 6:13 am    

I am posting this for all steel players. I purchase a new steel and have trouble since day one. with poor craftsmanship. Contacted the builder as soon as I got it and mentioned problems. When he was building it for me which took way longer than what he said. He said he was having trouble with the end plates fitting right. so I said ok take time and make sure they fit ok. Well when I got it guess what , the end plates stick away from body about a 1/4 of and inch. Stay tuned pictures of this and alot more problems will be posted. HE has refused to work with me which I have all emails which I can post. THis has beeen going on now for over 2 years. So I have decided to not let this happened to any one else.

Last edited by Dennis Wireman on 15 Feb 2013 9:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Dennis Wireman

North West Indiana 47978
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2013 6:54 am     zb

any one that has seen this guitar or played it your inputs are welcome.
Dennis Wireman

North West Indiana 47978
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2013 9:37 am     end plate pics

here are some pics of the end plates more pics and other issues will be coming stay tuned

Jeff Scott Brown

O'Fallon Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2013 10:11 am    

Who is the builder?
Chris Lucker

Los Angeles, California USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2013 10:23 am    

Jeff Scott Brown wrote:
Who is the builder?

Looks like a ZB decal and tailpiece. Is it a new ZB?
Dennis Wireman

North West Indiana 47978
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2013 11:18 am     zb

Yes Chris you are right it is the ZB retro steel guitar. More problems and pics will be posted soon.
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2013 12:53 pm    

I am in the process of building a new body for this guitar. New endplates also. I have acknowledged that this needs to be fixed. My problem is that I had a heart attack last year and I lost my shop helper and I am here alone. I have to bed rest 12 hours a day because I am on Beta Blockers and a weak heart. It's going to take longer than I expected because I have to do it in whatever spare time I have during the day while still trying to build cases to pay the bills. I am going to completely re-do this guitar for Mr. Wireman. He just has to be more patient given the circumstances. Here are some pictures of the body and new endplates that I have started. I just need some more time to do this. Anyone who knows me knows that I am fair. Mr. Wireman will be very happy when this guitar is redone. I would like to add that Mr. Wireman put this guitar up for sale on the Forum and at his shop after receiving it (see Forum for sale history), at which time he was representing it as a more than acceptable guitar.
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=226931&highlight

I'll leave you to your own conclusions.

Last edited by Kevin Hatton on 15 Feb 2013 4:09 pm; edited 3 times in total
richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2013 1:14 pm    

I think Kevin should be cut some slack here.

I don't like to see a good man's reputation dragged down like this

He has had some bad luck with his health, but despite that is still willing to go the extra mile to put right what I can only describe as a cosmetic problem
Micky Byrne

United Kingdom (deceased)
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2013 3:05 pm    

Richard, I whole heartedly agree with you (no pun intended)... before my heart transplant in 1999, I was on Beta blockers for years. They do slow your heart down and in so doing make you extremely tired. Kevin hope all goes well. Read my website...there's light at the end of the tunnel.

Micky "scars" Byrne U.K.
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2013 4:08 pm    

Thank you Micky.
Dennis Wireman

North West Indiana 47978
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2013 5:01 am     zb

That is the same picture that you sent me on 1/15/13 looks the same as then must not worked on it since. How long does this have to go on. And yes I did post it for sale with the link above, but closed it because after a few customers came and looked at it and noticed all the problems I decided that I could not sell it to any one in its condition and closed the ad, Sorry for the people that made the trip, feel free to comment on what you did i not like with it. Also do yu think two is is not being patient. I told him sorry about health issues but I am stuck with a bad steel. All I want is to be treated fair and get what I paid for. Is there going to be a time frame when the new body will be done. I was told it would be done in 2012 but no. now mid feb. and same picture he posted from mid jan.
Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2013 7:17 am    

In my dealings with Kevin he has always been a good and honest man- going way beyond the call of duty to make sure things are right.
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2013 7:26 am    

I have not dealt with Kevin personally, but know his reputation on here, and I have a lot of respect for him. It's hard to believe he would let that guitar even leave his shop in that condition though. What was he thinking? I think Dennis has a right to be upset, as I know I would be too. But, maybe give Kevin a little more slack due to his health issues right now. It looks as though he wants to make things right. Is the guitar playable? If so, it can't hurt to wait until Kevin can make things right, but I think Kevin should put a little bit of a priority on it.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Jim Hussey

Reno, Nevada - USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2013 9:50 am    

I've never met Kevin, but I've done business with him for years. He's helped me with my 1974 D10 ZB and built numerous split cases that are all in use and holding up well. All of my dealings with Kevin have been cordial and professional.

We are a family here and it sounds like 2 brother steelers need our support. Dennis needs our assurance that Kevin will do what he says and make things right. Kevin deserves our support and needs our assurance that his history and reputation are solid. They are with me.

The issue and it's resolution have both been aired. Let's give a good forumite the time he needs to heal and then the opportunity he deserves to finish the fix. Dennis, let me be bold enough to ask you to consider an edit / change to the subject / title of this post from buyer beware to something more benign like: Steel Guitars on Beta Blockers. It will be a positive gesture. I'm sure Kevin will appreciate the break and I know him well enough to assure you, that after his health, fixing your problem will be his highest priority.
Bill L. Wilson

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2013 10:48 am     The steel ain't right.

I can't imagine the frustration, of paying for something you've paid for, but can't use. But after very nearly getting killed in a car wreck a few yrs ago, I can personally testify that nothing is more important than your health and wellness. I forgave the guy who ran a stop sign doing a 100mph. totally destroying my pick-up, put me in the hospital for 1-1/2mos. had no insurance, and a rap sheet, long as your arm. I'm sure Kevin will get your guitar done at some point, just let him heal, it'll take the pressure off you and him. I've found if I don't dog people to much, I get results a lot sooner.
Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2013 10:50 am    

I agree - cut Kevin some slack. A bad heart can make the best of us go squirrely.
I have dealt with Kevin on several occasions as I have bought cases for my BenRom steels.

Let me just try to illuminate what kind of guy Kevin is:
The first case I bought off him turns out it was a bit to tight. The guitar was going to England in 2 weeks and I was pushing the panic button here. I notified Kevin of my dilemma and he dropped everything else and made me a new case which was free, postage included. All he wanted was for me to send the hardware back to him...don't send the case, cause that would be to expensive for me. The case arrived in plenty time - fit like a glove this time.

Kevin's my kind of businessman!
Tom Lulias

Wyoming, USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2013 1:17 pm     guitar

I have no horse in this race but why was this guitar sent out in this condition?
Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2013 2:50 pm    

I have seen guitars with new cabinets built in the Northeast shipped to Texas where the humidity is vastly different shrink a tremendous amount- easily this much.
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2013 5:04 pm    

Mr. Hatton is addressing this issue by building Mr. Wireman a new guitar. You can't ask for more than that. I'm closing this topic.