| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Reece Anderson's Bigsby on Ebay!
Drew Howard

Post  Posted 25 Oct 2013 12:08 pm    

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1956-Bigsby-Maurice-Anderson-T8-Steel-Guitar-The-Real-Deal-/331052368811?pt=Guitar&hash=item4d144243ab

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2013 12:28 pm    

Oh my...
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2013 12:34 pm    

It's only $25,000.00 ....plus shipping.
Peter Freiberger

California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2013 2:32 pm    

Calling Chris Lucker...
Chris Lucker

Los Angeles, California USA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2013 4:31 pm    

From my notes:

Original owner Maurice Anderson
One time owner Bobbe Seymour
Todd Clinesmith bought it from Bobbe Seymour
Todd Clinesmith sold it to Larry Shaeffer of Sand Springs, Oklahoma in 2008.
Larry Shaeffer owns Indian Territory Guitars and had listed the Bigsby for sale for a while in 2009. I think he listed it for $27,000.

Sometimes this guitar gets mentioned as being a 1959. But the owner knows it is a 1956, and without even seeing the serial number you can believe it is a 1956 because of the engine turned swirls in the necks. If I recall, Maurice Anderson's S-10 was a 1959.
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2013 8:36 am    

Larry Shaeffer used to own Cain's Ballroom in Tulsa, I worked for him many, many times in the 70's. He has an amazing instrument collection. Arguably not as amazing as Larry Briggs' collection, but amazing nonetheless.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Chris Lucker

Post  Posted 26 Oct 2013 2:31 pm    

Yes, Herb. Larry Briggs has at least two Bigsbys that are spectacular, in my mind. The authentic Martin Thomas, which is the coolest non pedal T8, and he also has the only dining room table Bigsby ever made.
Dustin Rhodes

Owasso OK
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2013 8:27 pm    

Larry Briggs is from up this direction too isn't he?
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2013 8:37 pm     More information, please!

WHAT.........is a "dining room table" guitar?

Never before heard that term used.
Chris Lucker

Post  Posted 26 Oct 2013 9:40 pm    

The dining room table is Chief Mack Thomas' enormous triple 10 with fifteen pedals--everyone being yoked at the crank to pull twice and many yoked later to double again--which has a cabinet that is much longer than the necks. There are so many pulleys and guides and cables underneath there is no room left for a Spade Cooley autograph, which is probably the reason there isn't one.
It is the biggest guitar Bigsby made by far. One of his quads did have ten pedals, but this is a beast. There was a three way deal brewing a couple years ago where I could have gotten the big Thomas but I knew it would be too cumbersome to move, let alone set up.

Mack Thomas' brother JB had a double neck Spanish that was the guitar made right after yours, Ray.
Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2013 5:33 pm    

Yes Dustin, Larry Briggs is from Sperry, Oklahoma. I was raised in Claremore, and I've known Larry since we were both kids. He has a place up on Grand Lake, and I think he splits his time between there and Sperry. He is an amazing guy and yes Herb, he has a fantastic collection. About 6 or 7 years ago he told me he had over 200 vintage Fender tube amps. Lord only knows what else he has.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, a restored MSA Classic SS, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Also a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored Rose S10, named the "Blue Bird". Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also have a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks, and a showroom condition Sho-Bud Super Pro.
chas smith R.I.P.

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2013 6:43 pm    

This is Maurice's 1959 S-10

Many years ago, when Steve Soest had the "monster" Bigsby, I could have bought it for $5K, and granted, it was a Bigsby, but what am I going to do with it. It would have been a sacrilege to part it out. So I passed.
Russ Wever

Kansas City
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2013 9:26 pm    

Ray M ~
This is the Chief Mack Thomas 'dining room table' . . .

I'd be curious to see a pic of its underside, wouldn't you?
~Rw
Joshua Gibson

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2013 11:35 pm    

SWEET MOTHER OF MERCY Shocked......I thought guitars like that only existed in a Banjo players nightmares Laughing, Although...I agree, I would LOVE to see the undercarriage of that beast Cool ,
Telonics, Zoom, BJS,
Goldtone BS, LITM, OS Dobros.
Fender, G&L, Gibson, Ibanez guitars.
Jussi Huhtakangas

Helsinki, Finland
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2013 2:59 am    

^There is a pcture of the underside in the Bigsby book! And the cd that accompanies the book has PA telling the story of this guitar.
Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2013 4:11 am    

I knew Mack Thomas in Oklahoma in the early '70s. At that time he was playing a D10 that had been built by a jeweler. I don't remember a lot about it, but I do remember it had ball bearings on the cross shafts, had a beautiful finish, and it sounded really good. He worked for my uncle in his music store for a while, and played some around the northeast Oklahoma area. I lost track of him when I moved to Texas in 1980, I heard a few years ago that he had passed away.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, a restored MSA Classic SS, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Also a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored Rose S10, named the "Blue Bird". Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also have a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks, and a showroom condition Sho-Bud Super Pro.
J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2013 12:47 pm     Maurice was sooo ahead of his time!

SINGLE neck AND 10 strings in 1959! With 6 pedals AND Knee Levers, Maurice was sooo ahead of his time!

I remember the first time Maurice and I met at his house around Dallas... being the vintage fan I am, I asked him about his previous instruments after having seen an old b&w picture in his music room of him playing a Fender triple or quad neck standing.
We came to talk about Bigsby. As I loved Hank Thompson's Bob White era so much and knew Speedy also played an early one, I told him, I'd love to have a Bigsby one day (I never did)... he just shook his head and said "Aww, awful guitar to play"... I remember him being especially not fond of the fret board which he said was not correctly designed (something with some frets being wrongly positioned).
Mauric was MODERN, he never seemed to look back much. Never seemed to care much for "that vintage stuff", except once for my 1940's Rickenbacker B10, because he felt it sounded better than the LapSteel HE was playing (it DID!)... I giggled and said "it's just the hands, Maurice" and we both had a good laugh.

Anyways, both his Bigsby guitars look great. The may be trucks to play, but there is no denying that these guitars had a tone to die for.

I miss Maurice... I miss knowing he's here and I can ask him something about a "funny" chord or a progression. I really do. Besides the great man he was, the friend and the mentor, there is so much knowledge which has been taken away from us.

... J-D.

... J-D.

Was it JFK who said: Ask Not What TAB Can Do For You - Rather Ask Yourself "What Would B.B. King Do?"

A Little Mental Health Warning:

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.
Jussi Huhtakangas

Helsinki, Finland
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2013 11:56 pm    

The knee levers on that S10 are not original, they were added by Chas, as is the whole undercarriage, which is a piece of mechanical art btw!
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2013 10:58 am     1956 or 1959?

My one owner quad BIGSBY with six pedals also has the machined swirls on the aluminum necks. It was a May 1956 manufacture. It also has black pickup covers.

I wonder if it's worth $25,000?
Charles Curtis

Post  Posted 27 Dec 2013 12:34 pm    

I never had the pleasure of meeting Reece in person but I was pleased with my purchases from him years ago. And from what I gathered about Reece, here on the Forum, was that he was one heck of a nice guy like he was when I met him through the mail. If I had the time in this life, it would be an honor to own one of his guitars, IMO. Reece seemed to always answer a question that was submitted to him here, IMO, and how can you not like someone like that.
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2013 2:00 pm    

hey drew..can you make the picture any bigger?
Bob Gibler

Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2014 4:28 pm     Bigsby table

"HOLY SHEEP SNOT" That Bigsby isn't just a table...It looks like a Picnic table with 3 necks.. Just Kidding. What does that Beast Weigh in without Case????? Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2014 5:41 am     Where is the map?

Does a map for finding the pedals also come with that Chief Mac Thomas? steve t