| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Source of legs for Supro lap steel
Steve Ahola

Concord, California
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2011 11:39 pm    

I just got another Supro lap steel on eBay which as a pleasant surprise came with 3 factory installed leg sockets. I measured the threads which are 3/8"-16.

So where can I order 3 legs with those threads? I'd seen one name mentioned here before which was highly recommended.

Thanks!

Steve Ahola

Recordings on electric guitar:
http://www.box.net/blue-diamonds
http://www.box.net/the-culprits
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2011 7:21 am    

Try Bobbe Seymour.
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2011 2:55 pm    

Steve, I got an old Supro 8 string steel without any legs myself. I bought a set of legs from a guy here on the Forum who makes them but I didn't write his name down so I can't give it to you. I'm sure he'll see this post and get with you. What does your Supro look like? Here's a shot of mine, I love it. The "Thunderbird" logo on the front was added by the previous owner....JH in Va.

Portage Park / Irving Park, Chicago, Illinois
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2011 3:02 pm    

Deleted

Last edited by Michael Lee Allen on 2 Aug 2012 1:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Steve Ahola

Concord, California
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2011 4:43 pm    

Jerry Hayes wrote:
Steve, I got an old Supro 8 string steel without any legs myself. I bought a set of legs from a guy here on the Forum who makes them but I didn't write his name down so I can't give it to you. I'm sure he'll see this post and get with you. What does your Supro look like?

Does your Supro 8 use the strap-over style of pickup? Also, what length leg did you order? I don't plan to play it standing up but I might as well get them long enough to handle that to cover all bases.

My Supro has a serial plate that reads G2873 (if that means anything to anybody). It is an ivory/cream color which is not painted on but applied like an opaque decal. I guess they made it that way to keep the costs down. It sounds really nice and was just begging to be tuned to E9th (B-D-F#-G#-B-E). The body shape is like a Weissenborn only much smaller.

I already had a Bay/Supro from a forumite here and that one is tuned to C6/A7 since it is really sweet sounding. Both pickups use just a single magnet which IMO gives them a very clear tone. Plus a Chandler RH2 with a Lollar Supro repro. I guess I really like those strap-over pickups. Laughing

(Thanks, Michael, for telling me where to go... to get the legs, that is!)

Michael Lee Allen

Portage Park / Irving Park, Chicago, Illinois
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2011 5:25 pm    

Deleted

Last edited by Michael Lee Allen on 2 Aug 2012 1:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Charlie Vegas

Tampa Bay, FLA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2011 4:49 am    

Jerry Hayes wrote:

Those legs are much heavier the stock Supros. Look more like Fender.
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2011 1:24 pm    

Here are some pics of my 1960 Supro 8 showing the original legs. Smaller threads than modern steel guitar legs, thin legs w/thumbscrew.

Bruce Terrell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2011 8:03 am    

I found a set of 50s Fender legs on eBay that fit my Supro Comet (black and white). As noted above, they use different threading than modern steel legs. I couldn't find anyone that made the older smaller diameter and wider thread. I've often wondered if you could find old combo organ legs from the 60s, if they would have the proper thread size.
Olli Haavisto

Jarvenpaa,Finland
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2011 2:04 pm    

I have two Supros like Doug`s and the threads are the same as on mike stands.
I have played them standing up,with just the front socket screwed onto a mike stand.
Nice angle, like playing dobro with strap. A bit wobbly, though Smile
Steve Ahola

Concord, California
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2011 1:04 am    

I decided to make an adaptor so that I could use the Rogue EA-3 legs on my Supro. As mentioned in original post the leg sockets on this particular Supro use a 3/8"-16NC threads (not the threads shown in Doug's picture). The inexpensive Rogue legs from China use a metric thread: M8-1.25. So how the hell am I going to find an adapter for that?

I used to have to adapt all sorts of fittings when I was an HVAC service tech so I had been through the drill before. I got bolts with the two different threads and went through all of the brass fittings at Ace Hardware, looking for something that could be tapped out with both threads.

For this particular case I found that a 3/8" flare x 1/4" MPT adapter looked like it should work (which it did). After threading both ends I inserted a 3/8"-16 bolt into the MPT side and tightened it all of the way down. I then cut off the end leaving 6 threads (I had already checked to see where the leg sockets would bottom out). One tip when cutting a bolt or threaded rod with a hacksaw: put 1 or 2 nuts on the side of the cut that you will be using. When you remove the nuts they will usually straighten out the threads enough to be usable.

The fittings and taps cost about $22- to order the nice stainless steel legs would have been about $120 plus shipping. The EA-3 was $79.99 so I have the steel guitar (with the leg sockets but minus the legs)- I want to see if I can get this Rogue to capture the vibe of a vintage Fender Champ...

A similar game plan could be used for whatever lap steel you might have that has sockets but no legs. I like using brass fittings because they are fairly easy to tap. I took two bolts corresponding to the threads needed and looked through the brass fittings until I found something slightly undersized. Better yet bring along the taps you will be using as they are tapered at the end- if the end goes in a little ways it should work fine.

Steve Ahola

Jim Wilmoth

California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2013 8:28 pm     supro legs - suitable replacements

Hey Everyone,

I'm in search of suitable replacement legs for my Supro Console if anyone can help.

Thanks!

Jimmy
Gary Meixner

New York, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2013 8:04 am    

Jim,

For replacement legs talk with Don Burrows at BSG Steel Guitars. Don is a great person to do business with. He makes a super product, at a fair price and the service is excellent. I had him make me a set of legs with 3/8 X 16 thread for my Gibson Console. I am sure he can help you out. Email: sales@bsgsteelguitars.com

Best of luck,

Gary Meixner
Dennis Smith

Covington, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2013 4:40 pm    

Hi Steve, Jim, there is a set of three legs on ebay. They look like the legs in Doug's photos.
Dennis