| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Semantics 101: Lap steel vs steel guitar
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2013 6:13 pm    

I've used the term lap steel guitar ever since I found out what that strange instrument I purchased was called. I'm not sure where I first read it, maybe Guitar Player magazine.

But I was thinking about this today while I was watching a video of someone playing, and it occurred to me that what he was playing was in fact "lap steel guitar". It was very far removed from what I would call steel guitar and the way that I personally approach playing. Let me explain.

When I started playing, I was only able to really comprehend the singing single note style of David Lindley; the styles of everyone else I heard were so different. When I heard Jerry Byrd and Speedy West play, it was like I was listening to a different instrument altogether. I could not conceive of how they did what did, but in the back of my mind I told myself that I wanted to figure it out.

Time has gone on, and I have learned quite a bit about playing. The things that were such a mystery to me before aren't anymore, and the style that had me bewildered is now closer to the way I think when I play the instrument. I can say in all honesty that I play steel guitar now, and I don't mean that as an insult to the lap steel guitarist. I just believe it is a different mindset. The lap steel guitar seems smaller to me in compass.

Feel free to disagree or agree with me.

Wilmington, NC, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2013 7:23 pm    

Yep. Steel guitar.
Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 27 Jan 2013 7:26 pm    

When your steel no longer fits in your lap, you are playing steel guitar. Smile

Mike, since it is a mindset, are you saying that there are people who play consoles who are lap steel guitarists and others playing a frypan who are Steel guitarists?
Kevin Lichtsinn

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2013 7:30 pm    

Steel guitar. Smile
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2013 7:39 pm    

Bill McCloskey wrote:
When your steel no longer fits in your lap, you are playing steel guitar. Smile

Mike, since it is a mindset, are you saying that there are people who play consoles who are lap steel guitarists and others playing a frypan who are Steel guitarists?

That's a good point, Bill--I think you could call David Gilmour and David Torn lap steel players, for example, even though they may be playing a Fender Deluxe on legs. I know for sure you can call a FryPan player a steel guitarist.

Lexington, KY, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2013 8:41 pm    

I think "steel guitar" is appropriate and pretty much covers the bases when you're addressing someone who knows the nuances (i.e. members of the Forum).

Most non-players I've talked to know it as a "lap steel". I let them live with that distinction unless they dig deeper. When I played pedal steel, I had a soundlady in CA tell me that my lap steel was too loud. It was in the middle of a performance and I didn't feel any need to correct her at the time. I think there comes a point where, if we're inclined to "educate" a layman who uses inaccurate terminology, we can come across as slightly obssessive-compulsive.
Steve Cunningham

Atlanta, GA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2013 9:17 pm    

Mike Neer wrote:

That's a good point, Bill--I think you could call David Gilmour and David Torn lap steel players, for example, even though they may be playing a Fender Deluxe on legs. I know for sure you can call a FryPan player a steel guitarist.

What if the frypan player is playing George Thorogood licks? Or the guy playing a Strat with a nut extender is playing Jerry Byrd licks?

I just got back from a gig where the drummer was explaining to someone that my 8-string steel was a "slide guitar". Earlier this morning at my church gig, an older woman liked my "Hawaiian guitar" playing. Last night at a bar mitzvah, one of the singers in the band called my 6-string steel a "pedal steel"...later the same evening, another singer called it a "lap slide". I kid you not.
I used to, somewhat indignantly, explain that the instrument is a lap steel, and go through the whole (well, condensed) history. For years I did that. Now I just smile and say "thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed the music. THE MUSIC...that's the bottom line, y'all.
And remember...

"A steel community divided against itself cannot slant." Laughing Laughing Laughing Rolling Eyes

YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/user/SingingStringsMusic?feature=mhee
William Lake

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2013 10:11 pm    

I just call mine "Mistress"

Cairns, on the Coral Sea
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2013 11:39 pm    

It is interesting that we in the world of steel guitar do not have a consensus of opinion on the simple name of our instrument. I think the situation is due in part to the fact that players come to it from different musical directions a do not feel some of the terms in use adequately represent their interest.

Last edited by David Matzenik on 28 Jan 2013 1:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Allen Hutchison

Kilcoy, Qld, Australia
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2013 12:01 am    

Just my 2 cents here.

We are on the Steel Guitar forum.
I'm a member of a Steel Guitar club.
I own a lot of Steel Guitars of various makes/ types. (none with pedals)
They all have one thing in common i.e. Steel strings.
Are there any nylon string "steel" players or instruments out there???
Tony Lombardo

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2013 3:56 am    

Recently my family was watching an old movie on television, and a beautiful old vocal tune with a really lush steel break played behind a scene. When my mother asked me what that instrument was, I said, "Steel Guitar." She said, "No way. I've heard all kinds of guitars. That sounds more like an organ." That exchange got me thinking. The thing apparently doesn't sound like a guitar to some. Very few of them are made of steel. Not all bars are made of steel. Yet, we call them steel guitars.

I call mine Donna Ann, the name of the person who (without knowing it) encouraged me to delve into this instrument.
Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 28 Jan 2013 4:36 am    

Here is the way I always explain it:

If it is played with a bar (steel) in your hand, it is a steel guitar. Steel Guitars are broken down into acoustic and electric:

Acoustic:
National Steel
Dobro
Weisenborn

Electric:
Lap Steel
Console Steel
Pedal Steel.

Main styles include Folk, Bluegrass, Hawaiian, Country, Western Swing, Rock, Pop, Blues, and Instrumental music.
Jerome Hawkes

Fayetteville, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2013 5:32 am    

i bet we've all had experiences like Steve mentioned. thats just the way it is. i had a guitar player who touts knowing all things - you know the type - say he liked my slide playing, which made me cringe, but i dont try and explain it.

I see what Mike is saying in his initial post - to me, and my generation kind of came up on this style - the players like David Lindley and David Gilmore, and tons of blues guys played what i now would call lap slide guitar...but thats just a steel players subdivision.

me personally, i'm gonna start calling it "electro hawaiian guitar" just because it sounds cooler than steel guitar. or maybe "western table guitar". people really do get perplexed when you call it a steel guitar and its obviously not made of steel..now if you were playing a National tricone, they would get it.

if any of you remember the great band Hot Rize whose alter ego was Red Knuckles and the Trailblazers, i always though it was funny they announced Waldo, the steeler, on "electric table guitar" (fender stringmaster) - i asked him about it once and Pete Warnick (Waldo) said thats what people thought it was, they would say, what the heck is that table looking thing you're playing. Rolling Eyes

Overland Park, Kansas
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2013 5:36 am    

"I loved your laptop steel guitar playing."
True story Smile
Call it what you want. As long as it moves ya.
Stephen Abruzzo

Philly, PA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2013 12:38 pm    

It doesn't matter what you call it.......it doesn't matter what tuning you use.....it doesn't matter what kind of music you play on it.......just so long as you're having FUN and putting a smile on somebody's face (even if it's only your own Very Happy ).

Albert King used to refer to the guitar as a ........git-fiddle.
Rick Collins

Claremont , CA USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2013 2:03 pm    

...spinet, upright, baby grand, grand, concert grand, electric = piano

lap, console, multi-neck, pedal = steel guitar

Really simple!
David Knutson

Cowichan Valley, Canada
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2013 2:19 pm    

I'm in with Bill's definition. If we look at this chronologically, at some point somebody flipped a guitar over, started running a chunk of steel over it and thought, "I'm a genius!" If that was the birth of the steel guitar, then everything after that like electronics, multiple necks, pedals. . . has been evolution. It's still steel guitar. The great range of musical styles we choose to play on it only makes it cooler.
Tony Lombardo

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2013 2:25 pm    

I think we're straying from Mike's original assertion that how one plays and approaches the instrument plays a role in what that instrument is called in that situation.

Tony L.
Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 28 Jan 2013 2:33 pm    

I look at this as a very personal statement from Mike reflecting on his evolution as a steel guitarist and I think the question should be looked at that way. The general public isn't going to care, and not many steel guitarists are going to worry about what the public (or their peers) thinks they are playing.

I see this as more of a statement from Mike on how HE feels about his personal journey on the instrument.

It is all Steel Guitar. But it is about the evolution from Lead Guitar Emulator (lap steel) to embracing what the instrument itself can do that is unique to itself and more than embracing, achieving! Enough where he can call himself a Steel Guitarist

It is a little like being proclaimed Tattoo Master. Smile
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2013 2:40 pm    

Bill McCloskey wrote:
I look at this as a very personal statement from Mike reflecting on his evolution as a steel guitarist and I think the question should be looked at that way. The general public isn't going to care, and not many steel guitarists are going to worry about what the public (or their peers) thinks they are playing.

I see this as more of a statement from Mike on how HE feels about his personal journey on the instrument.

It is all Steel Guitar. But it is about the evolution from Lead Guitar Emulator (lap steel) to embracing what the instrument itself can do that is unique to itself and more than embracing, achieving! Enough where he can call himself a Steel Guitarist

It is a little like being proclaimed Tattoo Master. Smile

Bingo, Bill.

I'm not exactly sure why I posted it--I guess I'm just in a weird, but cool place.

I'm happy that for once my steel playing is catching up with my musical ability--it just makes me want to play more and more. Very Happy

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2013 3:19 pm    

I dropped the adjectives "lap", "pedal"' and "non-pedal" years ago, especially when talking to people who do not play steel guitar. It's all STEEL GUITAR, and that's all they need to know. That's all they can handle. The term "steel guitar" is confusing enough to the average person, so why add to the confusion...
John Rosett

Missoula, MT
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2013 3:51 pm    

Mike, you're pulling our legs! On you recording of Nuages, you refer to it as "Guitare hawaïenne".

NJ
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2013 4:08 pm    

Hehe.

Queensland, Australia
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2013 2:45 am    

Allen Hutchison wrote:

Are there any nylon string "steel" players or instruments out there???

Yep. But don't mind me. I've been on a bit of a journey as has Mike. I've played a number of different instruments before getting into lap steel guitar around the age of 60. It's a lot to start to learn such a challenging instrument with some of the complex tunings at that age, although if I was younger I would surely do so. You need to work hard for years on the likes of C6 or Leavitt, and I've still got other things besides music that I have to do.

I've found the guitar, in all it's forms, to be such an interesting instrument that one thing has led to another, and then to another, and lap steel was one of those "others". But I now have sold all my various steel string guitars, two lap steels included, and have moved away from lap steel as my primary form of playing.

The guys on this forum led me to playing jazz as part of my repertoire and I continue along that path, but with other instruments. However I still have my first guitar, with nylon strings; now like me, a bit weather-beaten. I like to play some steel blues, so I raised the nut and tuned it to open G. I sit it on my lap and play me some blues when the mood takes me, which is quite often!

The nylon strings don't sound too bad given the "Little Red Rooster" slide type of stuff I play on it. I'm not looking for stardom at this stage of life. I'm enjoying retirement and don't have to worry what others think of my music.

Somebody said on another forum, "There's no rules. Nobody's watching and nobody's keeping score." Somebody else said, "My guitar. My rules." Words to live by, I reckon!

Chris.

Last edited by Chris Griffin on 4 Feb 2013 4:21 am; edited 2 times in total
Allen Hutchison

Kilcoy, Qld, Australia
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2013 10:33 am    

Very interesting Chris, & hi to a fellow Qlder.
Hope you're high & dry.
I agree there are no rules & I'm not looking for fame either.
Music should be about having fun, so as long as you enjoy what you do, then go for it.
I'll bet you're a rare animal though - playing "steel" on nylon. Smile
Cheers, Allen.