| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  SansAmp RPM Pre-amp: anyone using it?
John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2012 12:04 am    

Looks interesting. The dual XLR outs, one completely clean with no FX, looks handy. Lots of other nice controls and features, too.

http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/sansamp/rpm.html
Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2012 6:00 pm    

I play with a bassist that has one. He loves it... Maybe I can hook up my speakers to his rig and try it out sometime. I'll let you know if I do.
John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2012 6:20 pm    

Thanks, Brett, I'm always curious about gear!
Keith Davidson

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2012 1:42 pm    

I use this one by Tech 21 (Blonde) and it works great. I use it in my pedal chain and go directly to the amp channel on the foh amp. I don't use any amp for my steel, just my pedal board. Here's a pic:

Zeke Cory

Hinsdale, New York USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2013 2:25 am     Tech 21 RPM (Rackmount Unit) - Both Good and Bad

I have one of these in my rack setup. In my experience, it seems like these are a bit to much "in your face" sounding kinda thing. There does not seem to be much depth to be had. On the other hand, it is an active analog unit and is very adjustable, as the tone controls require minimal movement to achieve noticeable changes. Switches on the rear of the unit can change the input signal from instrument level to line level. Overall - very adjustable, both front and rear. But, with the rear switch in the instrument level position, theres a very weak signal, and when switched to line level, it is much to overbearing. Another negative I have found is that it only has a single effects loop jack, instead of two stereo ins and outs. This unit, when compared to a Stereo Steel Amp or a Stereo Steel Preamp, comes in a distant second place. I ran this in front of a Lexicon MPX1 as the effects unit and a QSC GX5 power amp. This could be a very good unit. I am just not convinced that includes a pedal steel guitar. I have found that looking for that perfect sound can prove very expensive. Good Luck in your search. Best Regards
Darrell Birtcher

Post  Posted 20 Jan 2013 1:24 pm     Rpm

Hey John,
Long time no see! I have an RPM and love it for bass. Had high hopes for it on steel but it sounded very cold, plus the aforementioned lack of stereo on the fx loop. I tried it with a Lexicon MPX 500 which is a nice thick sounding reverb/delay but even that didn't warm it up. I think it's because the RPM excels at warming things up by adding a bit of dirt which can help bass to sit well in a mix but when you try to use it totally clean it just doesn't sound right.
I know we're always looking for better tone and there's a lot of interactive factors at play, but the tone you had this weekend is gonna be really hard to beat. I wasn't BS'ing when I told you that you had the best tone of anyone at the show, and I was close enough to hear a good helping of the sound coming off the stage vs the Pa/room.

Darrell
John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2013 1:10 pm    

Howdy Darrell! What a blessing to meet you and your wonderful wife Darcie!! So glad we connected.

Thanks for the info on this piece of Tech21 gear.

And thanks for the tone compliments, I heard that from SO many folks. Same comment from my LA compadres, and I trust their ears and trust their honesty.

Due to that, I'm working on getting Telonics cabs, have them do their cleanup on one of my JBL's, and get a Black Widow. JBL to the open back cab, BW to the closed cab. What I currently have in Walker cabs is really good, but that sound this weekend was over the top yummy, even onstage. Be interesting to compare the speakers on Walker and Telonics cabs side by side.

Holler if you any questions about the Skype lessons. I'll get you a PDF shortly.
Darrell Birtcher

Post  Posted 21 Jan 2013 11:48 pm    

Thanks John. I'll look for the pdf, and am interested to hear your take on the walker vs telonics cabs. I saw that you had one each closed/open and I think that's a neat approach. Best of both worlds.