| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Zum Guitars
Bob Snelgrove

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2013 8:52 am    

Guys,

What is the history on these? Have they gone through a lot of changes in design or stayed the same like Franklins?

After hearing Gary Carter's green Zum video, I'm thinking of trading my Franklin for a Zum but it would have to be a special guitar to give up my baby!

bob
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2013 12:40 pm    

Both are good guitars in the same class. Changing one for the other either way will not get you anything that you already have.
Shorty Rogers

Post  Posted 4 Jan 2013 1:55 pm    

Bob, Keep the Franklin. If you want a Zum for the tone, just go get another guitar, but keep the Franklin. Once you sell it, you will have a very hard time finding another Franklin should you decide you miss it. I have thought often of selling mine, but so far I have avoided the necessity. Be prepared for some unsolicited offers.

Shorty
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2013 2:23 pm    

AFAIK, the basic design has remained MOSTLY unchanged, although the Hybrid is a marked departure. It's more like a separate model, though.
He's changed a few things here and there, like the pull train lost the comb bellcranks with pins in the rods.
You could sell your Franklin, but I'd urge you not to.
Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2013 4:31 pm    

Franklin guitars consistently demand really high resale dollars. If it were mine, I'd definately keep the Franklin. I might consider a mint Bigsby as a trade, though lol

Gillette, WY
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2013 5:24 am    

Find yourself a Zum Hybrid to try and I think you will have your answer.... Amazing guitars.

Robert
Ron Meecey

Pacific Mo. USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2013 1:47 pm    

Hey Bob, I agree with Robert. The Zum Hybrid is quite the guitar. I am lucky enough to have two of these. One D-10 with 8 and 5, and one SD-10 with 4 and 6. The most tone consious machine I have ever played. Ron
Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2013 2:31 pm    

I have a Hybrid, and a standard Zum D10 and the Hybrid is a very special guitar Very Happy -- I can see a second one in my future hehe...
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2013 2:43 pm    

Both the Franklin and the Zum hybrid are excellent sounding and playing guitars. I don't think that by switching from one to another you would notice much appreciable difference. For whatever reason, the Franklin guitars are much sought after and command a higher resale price. If for no other reason, I would keep the Franklin because of its investment worth
Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2013 2:22 pm    

Hey guys, What is meant by "hybrid" ?

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2013 2:26 pm    

Its a cross between a pushpull and an all pull guitar.there is more information on the zumsteel website and Im sure lots more info in old forum post.They sound great.
Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2013 7:41 pm    

Ron, Here's the view of the Zum Hybrid changer, note the row of hex nuts above the Raise nylon tuner nuts !
You use these to tune the primary raises like you would on a push pull Emmons. Everything else tunes like a normal all-pull guitar, including splits etc.. if you have two raises like on string 4 for example, you would activate the C pedal, tune the F# note with the normal tuning key on the keyhead, let the pedal off, then tune the open 4th string with the hex nut on the end plate. Then you would tune the normal E to F raise on the 4th string with the normal nylon tuning nut for the 4th string raise -- clear as mud ?

Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2013 6:49 am    

I have a 1982 Zum. Bruce experimented with little upgrades on occassion. There were a couple of years in the early 80's that Bruce used narrow fingers as spacers between the pulling fingers. These spacers were pulled tight with springs against the body of the guitar to add to it's tone and sustain. Some owners complained that it created overtones and harder to tune and took the tension springs off. I haven't detected overtone tuning problems with my guitar.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Revelation preamp, Carbon Copy Delay and Hall Of Fame Reverb, Crown XLS 1002, 2- 15" Eminence Wheelhouse speakers, ShoBud Pedal, Effects Pedals. 1949 Epiphone D-8.
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2013 9:30 am    

Rick Barnhart wrote:
Franklin guitars consistently demand really high resale dollars. If it were mine, I'd definately keep the Franklin. I might consider a mint Bigsby as a trade, though lol

A new Franklin guitar, depending on what's its features are, is definitely in the same price range as a Bigsby, no lie.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2013 9:31 am    

I have a Franklin and the Zum is one of a few that I would consider if I ever got crazy and sold the Franklin (not going to happen).

I saw S/N 2 in the trunk of Bruce's car in Dec 73 or Jan 74 at a steel demo showing at Quigley's Music store in Kansas City, Mo. David Jackson and Bobbe Seymour were going around the country demonstrating the Sho-Bud built Fender D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar, and one of the showings was at the Quigley's Music store.
Bob Snelgrove

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2013 9:54 am    

Herb Steiner wrote:
Rick Barnhart wrote:

A new Franklin guitar, depending on what's its features are, is definitely in the same price range as a Bigsby, no lie.

So what do you guys think a D-10 Franklin, 8/6 with original Lawrence 705's in VG to Exc. condition would be worth?

bob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZlAdlrRYj0

http://www.reverbnation.com/bobsnelgrove

1978 Crawford Emmons P/P
1976 Tommy White P/P
1986 Franklin D-10
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2013 4:48 pm    

Based on what has sold in the last year, I would say $8000 and up.
Bill Lowe

Connecticut
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2013 5:53 pm    

what was it that sold for $8000 and up? I did a search on the forum and nothing sold in that price range.

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2013 3:39 am    

Just try to find something in the condition you want.
CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2013 4:43 am    

i'm very happy w: my Zum
i ordered it new after havin' a used one before
not a hybrid - a regular D10 9/8 2006 model
i tried a Franklin which i found to be a great steel
when i see the prices they sell for, i don't want one
( i bet even Mr Franklin Sr is appalled by the prices they sell for )
for that kind of money, i'd rather buy a Swiss made Schild
& i won't be second or third hand
http://www.schildsteel.com

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2013 8:12 am    

The Schild website annoyingly won't even give a quote to someone with an American IP address.

And I don't think Paul Sr objects to the prices, since the new and secondhand prices approximate each other
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2013 8:31 am    

According to my very knowledgeable... and unimpeachable... source Wink , a new D-10 Franklin with mica finish has a list price of 10K.

And there's a waiting list. Exclamation

Makes me wish that I had pulled the trigger back in the day when I saw a few used Franklins for sale in the 2000-3000 range, but that was like 20 years ago and I was (and still am) a PP guy. Oh Well

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Bill Lowe

Connecticut
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2013 10:01 am    

I was just wondering how many are being built and how long the list is? What would be the approximate build time?

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2013 10:12 am    

Give Paul Sr a call. I had a chat with him a few months ago, great guy. He did say he was slowing down and taking it easy (but absolutely still building them). My chat didn't get beyond that, because he only has 2 12 string necks and fretboards, and orders for both of them, so I won't get a Franklin Sad
He'll give you the details himself.