| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Reece Anderson workshops
Jim Rossen

Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2013 10:02 am    

Reece Anderson does workshops in his home that are suitable for beginning non pedal players. Per Reece's suggestion, I query the forum to learn about about members' experiences with these sessions.

Thanks
Jim Rossen
HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2013 4:55 pm    

I have not taken lessons from Reece at his home. I did host a Reece Anderson non pedal workshop in my store about 7 or 8 years ago.....we had about 18 people of different levels.

As great of a player as Reece is, as great of an instructor Reece is. He is thorough, patient, logical, and fascinating in his approach to impart knowledge. He explains the reasoning and techniques of playing in very understandable way. You will learn much.....more than enough to keep you busy for a very long time and you will certainly improve. As a beginer, you will learn the right way the first time around which is very important IMO.
David Wright

Pilot Point ,Tx USA.
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2013 5:08 am    

Just do it, Very Happy he is a MASTER of no`pedal, his knowledge of it is endless, you want to learn, come to Dallas...
Mark Roeder

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2013 9:59 am    

I have been to two sessions, a 3-day and I spent a 2-day just myself and I can't wait to get back. I am still learning from what I was taught, very deep and thorough. Well worth it!
Niels Andrews

Salinas, California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2013 11:21 am    

I went to a "Fast Track" camp for three days and will be there again in two weeks. I can't say enough good about Reece and Theresa his lovely wife. I exchange emails with him almost daily, he is always so helpful. Like I said I can't say enough he is my "Go to Guru!"
Christopher Woitach

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2013 9:54 pm    

I have to chime in here! I've taken several two day private sessions with Reece. As a result, my playing has progressed much faster than I could have ever imagined. I have taught music for over 30 years, 12 of them in a University setting. In my opinion, Reece is a fine a teacher as any I've ever seen - thorough, logical, supportive, and inspiring. He also lacks the fiercely dogmatic approach exhibited by some other teachers, thus allowing the student room to grow into the kind of musician they wish to be.

Also, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention he's one of the finest humans I've ever met.

Go see him - soon!!!!!!!!!!
Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 5 Jan 2013 6:11 am    

I've taken the class with HowardR and had a wonderful time showing Reece around New York.

I also took an class with Reece over the phone.

Both were very valuable, well thought out, and well taught. Reece approaches teaching from a very practical and less theoretical point of view: his classes teach the tricks HE uses when playing and improvising and includes his method of tuning the instrument.

I can't think of anything negative to say and have nothing but wonderful memories of the experience.
Niels Andrews

Salinas, California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2013 6:20 am    

I would like to add that I had been only playing for six months and the other two in my class were working players and Reece made it work for all of us. So starting out I would say he is the best you could hope to ever find, he will start you out right.
Jeff Harbour

Western Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2013 8:51 am    

I was fortunate to have attended the very first Fast Track Camp. I have to say that Reece is the ONLY teacher I've ever found (of any instrument) that could actually teach you how to train your own mind to accept more knowledge. Most teachers stick with the traditional method of teaching you how to play "a song" or "a lick" or just guide you through a book. If you're at a point where the latter kind of learning won't do much for you, then Reece is what you need!

To top it off, there were four of us students using three different tunings! Two guys had E9/B6 universals, one had a 12-string Bb6, and me and Reece were playing D-10's. But, he was able to effortlessly teach us simultaneously while still addressing our individual differences.

He's a genius... You won't be sorry!!!

Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Harbour on 5 Jan 2013 9:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Jeff Harbour

Western Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2013 9:03 am    

Oh yeah... that would be FOUR tunings since we also used my C6 a bit.
John McCall

New York, New York, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2013 9:40 am    

Do it. I was at the NYC session, and Reece is everything they say.
Jim Rossen

Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2013 4:02 pm    

Replies are greatly appreciated. I'm going!
Jim
Niels Andrews

Salinas, California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2013 4:16 pm    

When it comes to learning Pedal Steel best decision you will ever make. Smile Be ready for a memorable trip.
Dan Schwartz

Bloomington, MN
Post  Posted 14 May 2013 8:48 am    

Does anyone know if Reece offers these on a regular basis annually or throughout the year or when the next one might be?
Kurt Kowalski

Kendall, NY USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2013 12:05 pm    

Jim,
I had the unique oppotunity to study with Reece at his house.
All I can say is YES!!!!
DO IT!!!

His approach is awesome and he is such a great guy. His lovely wife will also be such a gracious hostess in their home.

That is a memory that I will cherish forever, as, I was a Reece's before I was injured and lost the mobility in my legs.

But, I must say that it has helped with my overall look at steel guitar differently than before now.
I am a much better player non-pedal than I was before.

Also, before I was injured I got Reece's personal Millenium 12 string and loved it to death untill I couldnt play pedals anymore.

Please wish Reece well for me.

My best to you,
Kurt
Niels Andrews

Salinas, California, USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2013 1:16 pm    

Reece called a few days ago and is feeling much better. I think he will probably be having one this fall. I will mention it to him or give him a call or email him. He is one of the nicest people you will ever meet.
Reece Anderson

Keller Texas USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 24 May 2013 8:08 am    

I just this minute found this thread, for which I thank each of you more than I could ever express. The wonderful, concerned, kind, and caring words of each of you is, and was greatly appreciated. I have enjoyed every minute of being with each of you over the years.

As many may know, last Jan.4th I contracted a pulmonary situation brought on by pneumonia and a bacteria which kept me hospitalized for about three months, then almost 2 months rehab, but now I'm finally home with my family doing what I love most, and that's teaching and sharing music with others. If things continue I hope to be playing professional engagements on a limited basis in July.

I'm now offering "one on one" instruction, and those who come here for at "least two days" are welcome to stay here with Teresa and I in our home, where the meals are furnished along with some great conversations and fun in the evenings if you so wish. I can take up to three in a Camp class.

When considering "one on one" it provides the player to arrive at a time which is convenient for them, AND if someone else requests the same time that would be great also. The price for either the Camp or "one on one" is exactly the same as before.

May I also say how comforting and emotionally uplifting it was when having to spend so many nights alone in the hospital, and actually feeling the power of prayer and well wishes for which I again thank each of you.

My apologies to those of you who have written me and not received a response. I'm now feeling better, so i will do my best to be better at my response time and happy to hear from you.

Thank you one and all!
Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 24 May 2013 8:40 am    

Reece,

I know all of his are so happy to hear you are feeling better and back doing what you love. Fantastic news.
Niels Andrews

Salinas, California, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2013 8:43 am    

Praise the Lord, and pass the biscuits, he is back! Great to see.
Charles Kleinert

Briggs, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2013 4:43 am    

Great to see that you are doing well, we have been praying for your recovery.

Austin, TX, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2013 9:32 am    

I studied with Reece at his house and I highly recommend it!!!