| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  SOLD! Rob Ickes Dobro
Dana Wayne

Jacksonville Fl.
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2012 8:36 am    

Like New! less than a couple hours on it. Case and guitar are scratch and ding free. paid $1150.from Elderly. $800.00 shipped

Last edited by Dana Wayne on 15 Dec 2012 9:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Thom Darrow

Nevada, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2012 8:00 am    

Dana I have a few questions. This is a for sure Sheerhorn? I don't know what the Wechter name is. Also where are the screens for the two small holes. Is there a sound well with holes in it or is it wide open. Did you buy it new from Elderly or used. Is there a spun cone in it. About the spider is there a stamped number on the top side anywhere. Does it come with a sheerhorn bar and is there a capo. Also is there a pickup in it. I can't see if there is a plug in on the rear strap hook. TKS....
Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2012 10:04 am    

Thom, it's Dana's ad so he can fill you in on the rest if he hasn't already.

This much you should know: there are Scheerhorn guitars, built by Tim Scheerhorn who has moved back to Michigan after living and building guitars in the Nashville area since about the mid 90's. One man operation, very expensive, solid wood (often exotic) state-of-the-art guitars.

Then there is this Wechter/Scheerhorn, designed by Tim Scheerhorn and manufactured by Wechter Guitars in China, with final assembly and setup in the U.S. Some of us like to refer to these as "Frugalhorns." Excellent values, and this laminate wood Rob Ickes model seems to have some sort of extra mojo over the other models. The Ickes model "Frugalhorn" from a distance looks identical to the Scheerhorn rosewood/spruce guitars he plays, but they are a very different breed of cat.

A new Scheerhorn will run you at minimum $10,200 and a nice used one can go for ballpark $6000 - $8000.

The Wechter/Scheerhorn guitars are sort of along the same lines as the Gold Tone Paul Beard Signature models: designed by Paul Beard, but manufactured in China by Gold Tone with final setup and assembly in the U.S. A "real" Beard guitar (as played by Jerry Douglas) is built by Paul and his small crew in Hagerstown, Maryland. A little bit like a Squier Tele from China vs. a made-in-California Fender Tele.

Pacific NW
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2012 10:30 am    

Thom,
The Rob Ickes model comes without screens. Rob has an exclusive agreement with W/S that his is their only model without screens which is why you don't see any f-hole W/S anymore.

Wechter is named for Abe Wechter a Michigan luthier. He sold his company to Sweetwater Music a year or so ago and I don't know what his role is. As Mark said the W/S's are made in China and assembled here. I don't believe the W/S's came with a #14 spider. The cones were Continentels (sp?) or Replogel (again sp?). Stamped or spun the Rob Ickes is an excellent guitar for the money.

Post  Posted 13 Dec 2012 10:43 am    

We don't know when this particular "Ickehorn" was manufactured, but in the past couple years they have been putting Scheerhorn cones into the Wechter/Scheerhorns. These cones, hand spun by Tim himself are outstanding, I have one in my Clinesmith.

Branson MO
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2012 7:41 pm    

I'm not sure about the Ickes model except for I have a wechter scheerhorn and the only thing I did to really upgrade mine was put a #14 spider which is a better spider due to the one's they put in there are pot metal. I think they have been putting scheerhorn cones in them for about 4 years now. So if you think that guitar isn't any older than that, it should have the scheerhorn cone. I have to say that these wechter scheerhorn guitars sound and play great for the money. A lot of pro's that didn't want to spend a lot of money on a custom guitar, are playing these wechters. The cone, spider, setup and the internal design of these guitars is what makes the sound so full and responsive. Plus they have the baffle in them just like the expensive scheerhorns.
Dean Holman

Branson MO
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2012 7:51 pm    

A note about the screenless rings, You can get screenless rings to put in any wechter or resophonic guitar. I like them because it gives more bass and volume. But that is one of the things that are already standard on an Ickes model.
Dana Wayne

Jacksonville Fl.
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2012 6:58 am     icks dobro

I got this a year ago, as a backup for my Beard Model E. it has the good newer cone. these Dobros are an amazing deal, killer tone!! check out Rob playing this model on youtube, DF
Michael Shipman

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2012 11:19 am    

I have one of these and can testify they have a great sound, are really well built and fantastic value!
Cheers, Mike.
Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2012 9:23 am    

I was on the fence about buying another reso. All of your comments pushed me over the top. Payment sent. : )

Post  Posted 15 Dec 2012 9:31 am    

Good move Tom! If there weren't a forced GAS moratorium in my household, I would have grabbed this the first day.

Check out my thread on Rob Ickes and Jim Hurst this Sunday evening at the Del Mar Powerhouse. You don't want to miss this show!

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2012 12:01 pm    

I dont think you'll regret it Tom!
Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2012 8:30 am    

Thanks to all of you. I'll post a report when I get it and play it a while.