| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Is It Wise To Sidestep Traditionalism On Occasion?
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2012 3:28 pm    

I'd say a definite yes if the subject concerns adapting an original playing style on the pedal steel guitar. Others may be concerned with "proven" methods of learning by following in the footsteps of others.
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2012 4:01 pm    

question asked...
question answered...
the end
Bill Waskiewicz

Deerfield Beach, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2012 4:26 pm    

DIDO, Thanks Chris Very Happy
Alan Tanner

Near Dayton, Ohio
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2012 7:02 pm    

I guess Bob can close 'er up. ...........
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 19 Nov 2012 9:33 pm    

OK b0b, anytime now ...
Bo Legg

Post  Posted 19 Nov 2012 11:11 pm    

Inquiring minds will want to know to what extent this may in someway effect ones insignificants.
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2012 5:13 am    

Traditionalisms and instructions have become a natural process of achieving goals that are set apart from ordinary easily managed objectives. At times, I move a little to the right of stumbling blocks, after discovering a less obstructed way to gain successes by meeting certain challenges that may appear early on to be too difficult. That would be counted as the first mistake in this world of music.
Bo Legg

Post  Posted 20 Nov 2012 8:22 am    

Bill reading your topics over the years I see a pattern of constant battling with practice cares to the point that your musical experience seems painful to say the least. I only say this out of concern.
Again may I suggest you strive for excellence as an alternative to perfection. It's more forgiving and a lot less painful.
Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2012 9:31 am    

deleted.

Last edited by Bill McCloskey on 22 Nov 2012 9:08 am; edited 2 times in total
Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2012 9:35 am    

deleted

Last edited by Bill McCloskey on 22 Nov 2012 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2012 9:41 am    

It either sounds good or it doesn't. What else matters?

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2012 10:09 am    

The steel players of the world are not much different than a 500 piece puzzle that gives up no secrets to an easy approach to understanding. You can't depend on some assumed decision that it will be easy to place each player in a category by matching different colors to correspond by a separation process. Each player possesses his/her own distinctive characterization, that is difficult to detect with the naked eye. A one on one close exchange with each player, is as close as you will come to enlarging upon an ability to fathom the depth of each player's aptitude and dexterity on the pedal steel guitar.
Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2012 11:04 am    

deleted

Last edited by Bill McCloskey on 22 Nov 2012 9:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2012 4:59 pm    

Bill, Do you stay up to the wee hours thinking up these absurd ramblings ? For us old simple minded guys,Could you PLEASE explain in layman terms what this dribble means. Confused YOU BETCHA,DYK?BC.

Post  Posted 20 Nov 2012 5:05 pm    

Bill I love your topics and this is not to say there isn’t value in what you say but it’s like having a conversation with artificial intelligence.
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2012 5:41 pm    

Opting for the wherewithal to dig deeply into whatever means is necessary to perfect steel guitar musical performances, has been a goal lasting the best part of a lifetime. It isn't something that I would surrender because of a few bitter words spoken by critics. My steel guitar goes wherever I go.
Jeff Scott Brown

O'Fallon Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2012 5:49 pm    

Bill Hankey wrote:
Opting for the wherewithal to dig deeply into whatever means is necessary to perfect steel guitar musical performances, has been a goal lasting the best part of a lifetime. It isn't something that I would surrender because of a few bitter words spoken by critics. My steel guitar goes wherever I go.

I don't think anyone in the thread suggested that you should surrender your wherewithal.

I keep reading through this thread to try and make any sense of it. I haven't given up yet. So far I have failed at every attempt, but I haven't given up.

JSB
Robby Springfield

Viola, AR, USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2012 7:37 pm    

You should read Dave Alfstad's recent post.
Tim Tweedale

Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2012 9:20 pm    

i get the sense that Mr. Hankey is enjoys verbosity and general word-play.
Don't let it get you down - I think he's just having some fun. At least, that is what I take from his posts.

-Tim
Bo Legg

Post  Posted 21 Nov 2012 2:52 am    

So Bill you are spending your whole life trying to play a songs exactly like someone else played perfectly.
Let’s assume you achieve your goal. What if rest of us thought that the persons you emulated did not play the songs perfectly. Have you achieved your goal then?
I think however most of us could agree then that through your misguided diligence you have excelled at playing the songs but we would have much preferred your own version.

If you are not going to settle for songs played your way why not save yourself all this agony and just buy the tab?
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2012 5:44 am    

All of the good books I've read state that a person "reaps what he sows." It may be better understood in the wheat fields, and orchards, rather than the music world. Years of accumulated knowledge can become a useless commodity, musically, in situations that change unexpectedly without a forewarning. I know of several establishments that existed prior to fires that burned them to the ground. All of those featured country music for the enjoyment of dancing and listenable music. I believe every community should become better oriented on the needs of progressive steel guitarists. It isn't as if the availability of steel guitarists would outnumber any serious efforts to resolve the problem. In my area, advanced players probably number less than a half dozen in a population of over 50,000 people. Unlike Nashville, Tn, where they are numbered in the hundreds, for every steel guitarist in the North, there are 50 to one in the South. Perhaps the numbers will change over time.
Jeff Scott Brown

O'Fallon Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2012 5:54 am    

Bill Hankey wrote:
All of the good books I've read state that a person "reaps what he sows." It may be better understood in the wheat fields, and orchards, rather than the music world. Years of accumulated knowledge can become a useless commodity, musically, in situations that change unexpectedly without a forewarning. I know of several establishments that existed prior to fires that burned them to the ground. All of those featured country music for the enjoyment of dancing and listenable music. I believe every community should become better oriented on the needs of progressive steel guitarists. It isn't as if the availability of steel guitarists would outnumber any serious efforts to resolve the problem. In my area, advanced players probably number less than a half dozen in a population of over 50,000 people. Unlike Nashville, Tn, where they are numbered in the hundreds, for every steel guitarist in the North, there are 50 to one in the South. Perhaps the numbers will change over time.

I really don't understand the motivation for the question. It seems you are asking if it is ok to do things in a way that isn't consistent with the tradition, which doesn't seem like a valuable question. My answer would be the same as your own that you cited in the original post... "definitely yes". The reason that I can't find any value in the question is that it is hard for me to imagine anyone answering the question any other way, at least not for the scope that you seem to be referring to.

Even if I am wrong about that and someone (or maybe lots of folks) came back and said "No, you should never break from tradition, for any reason. Do it the way the guy before you did it. Period."... Why would knowing that be useful? Certainly for me it wouldn't make any difference. If the entire world denied the value of exploring the unbeaten path, that wouldn't change my mind about it.

I do not know what you are pursuing here.

JSB
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2012 6:29 am    

Jeff,

I'm at a loss for reasons relating to the hesitancy of responders to concur by agreeing that we've been led to believe that everything is just hunky-dory in the music business. As far as I'm concerned, we're all searching for something better musically. It wouldn't take more than a few minutes to break into some serious subject matters, if given the opportunity to respond to responders. When the subject switches to dollars and cents, to evoke a more common sense attitude, the line withers. Self-style players are difficult to find. That is where the financial cookie commences to crumble.
Jeff Scott Brown

O'Fallon Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2012 7:19 am    

Bill Hankey wrote:
Jeff,

I'm at a loss for reasons relating to the hesitancy of responders to concur by agreeing that we've been led to believe that everything is just hunky-dory in the music business.

Anyone who believes that everything is hunky-dory in the music business, hasn't been paying any attention to the music business.

JSB
Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2012 7:30 am    

deleted

Last edited by Bill McCloskey on 22 Nov 2012 9:09 am; edited 1 time in total