| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Setup for a live event
Todd Goad

Gray, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2012 11:31 pm    

Not sure if this is the proper section to ask this quetion, but here goes. I know alot of you play at different gigs, inside, outside, big, small, etc. and I know there is no one way to set up for an event as each can be different. Is there a basic checklist to go through. As we discuss, since I am new to PSG, maybe I will be able to ask a more direct question as your comments roll in and allow you guys/gals to give a better answer.

Thanks,
Todd
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2012 1:39 am    

I'm not sure I get the question. Checklist?
I don't use many effects, so it's simple, and the same regardless of the gig
Guitar? check
phase shifter and/or fuzz (always before volume pedal)? Check
Volume pedal? Check
Amp? Check
Cables? Check

If I've been fiddling with the Tele at home, I'll make sure they're all in the seat
Todd Goad

Gray, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2012 1:55 am    

Lane, I appreciate it...If you mic your amp, what kind of speakers would be used and what kind of mic? If there will be singing part of the time, will there be a different mic of choice and what would you feed both the amp and mics through whether singing, playing, or both?
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2012 2:09 am    

Usually the choice of mic is up to the sound folk or what's on hand. Usually it's a 57 or 58 pointed at the speaker. I prefer a mic in front of the amp over the line out (and the Twin has no line out). All 4 of my amps have a single 15: the LTD has an Eminence KappaLite (don't ask why the lightest amp gets the Neo), the Session 500 has a BW, the Evans has a JBL E130 (or perhaps D, I've forgotten), and the Fender Twin has a Jensen Mod.
If I'm singing, I like a 57 or equivalent, and I have my own boom stand.
I find it best to not get too picky or high-strung about the sound system; no matter what's there, you're gonna have to work with it. I'm more likely to care about monitor mix, if I can get my own.
I want bass and a bunch of the other lead players: I want to be able to either complement them or stay out of their way. If I'm singing, I want all the other voices (and mine) so I can hear the blend. I don't need drums or my guitar.
Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2012 6:14 am    

I go at least an hour early and maybe make sure your strings aren't getting old... Change the 3rd string a day or two ahead.
Check out the place ahead of time if you can.
Make notes for the music if necessary.
Setting up by the Bass or lead is a preference that varies from person to person and band to band.
Todd Goad

Gray, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2012 7:15 am    

Thanks Guys!! What kind of speakers are used to project the sound to the audience in like an outside event? For example if you are at a fair and the band is playing, what are the big speakers they are using for sound? I apologize for the questions, but if you don't know, you don't know Embarassed

Thanks again,
Todd
Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2012 8:16 am    

Microphone and sound man is your best bet.
Many times in a loud band a low powered amp can get fuzzy..
I use 2-15" JBLs with a lot of power Stewart 1.2
Don't recommend that for everybody.
Peavey Session or Nashville is plenty loud..
Are you trying to get a clean sound?
What kind of amp do you have?
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2012 8:22 am    

If you mean just for the steel, just your amp.

I don't care if I'm playing to 15 or 5000, I just bring a steel amp. Any gig with more than a hundred people, I better be miced.

If you mean getting sound from the stage to the house, it's not that we don't know, but from our position as sidemen, it's usually not our concern.
Probably cabinets with horns and 15s.
Or bi-amped systems (or more), with big honking subs and cabs with 2 12s and a horn.
Whatever the sound folks think they need.
I miss the Altec cabs in the gray flannel. They were the thing 30 years ago. I'd set up next to one of those, with Velcro on the underside of my stomp boxes, and put them on the cabs at the height to just smack 'em to turn on the T-Wah, phase or chorus.
Todd Goad

Gray, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2012 9:51 am    

Thanks Ken and Lane for sticking with me and dragging enough out of me so you could give me what I was wanting to know!! That is the info I was searching for Very Happy Thanks for not embarrassing me and making me feel anymore stupid than I already do for asking a question that is very obvious to many.
It is good to know that there are people out there that don't mind sharing their knowledge to help those just starting out.

Thanks Again,
Todd
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2012 9:57 am    

Ken asked the important question, and you didn't answer. What amp do you currently use?
Todd Goad

Gray, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2012 10:04 am    

Ken I have a Nashville 400, but I haven't started playing yet. I hope to start sometime early spring(I have a Mullen G2 on order). I was just curious of how everything comes together like say at the upcoming Dallas show. How everything is tied together on stage to get the sound to come across to the crowd. Say if you were playing in the show, what you would take on stage and how you would hook it to meet the needs of the show to be satisfying to those listening.

Todd
Norbert Dengler

germany
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2012 10:13 am     list...

i have a list close to my backdoor where i take out my gear to the gigs, for steel guitar gigs there`s:

steel itself
steel seat ( i forgot that one once)
that contains cables, tuner and spare strings
picks and bar and volume pedal
effex rack
boots or shoes to play steel
stage dress, hat...
amplifier
tabs and setlists

check that before heading to the venue!
regards from germany Smile
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2012 10:17 am    

For your purposes, that Nashville will do just fine. For larger gigs, you'll want either a mic in front of it or use the line out.

I've not done Dallas, but the larger shows will have amps onstage already hooked up to the sound system (I dated a sound engineer; I got thumped when I called it a PA¹) so it's quicker than hooking everybody up their own.
That amp, along with everyone else onstage, goes into the system, and there's monitor wedges in front of you so you can hear everything around you.

The HSGA (Heartland, not Hawaiian) show doesn't provide a backline, the players bring their own amps, and put a provided mic in front of it.

¹ or called cables "cords"
Todd Goad

Gray, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2012 10:42 am    

Hi Norbert,
Thanks for the tip. I know it could be very easy to walk out the door only to discover you forgot something...very good to have a checklist just to make sure you have everything.

Lane you have really cleared things up for me. I really appreciate your help!!

Thanks,
Todd
Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2012 11:13 am    

Todd, If I understand your questions my take is:

Learn how to play and get a good sound coming out of your amp.

Go to the gig and let the sound guys deal with the PA. It does not concern you. PA systems are all different and based on the specific needs of the venue and concert. If you are playing a gig where you won't be using a PA your Nash 400 should be plenty loud.

If you don't have a steel yet and you are planning on playing gigs by spring you should not waste your time on checklists and PA system questions. You need to start practicing like a demon asap Smile

I had a steady gig within 4 months of owning a steel and I used to get musician buddys coming to my gigs just to watch me stink up the place. I was terrible but having fun and getting better every week. Playing steel in a band is one of the best things ever. I wasn't going to let my complete lack of ability stop me. For example I made gig charts that would have a big letter G with the number 3 next to it. That meant if I put the bar on the 3rd fret some of the notes would be right. That's all I had !

Anyway, Get that steel and get to it !

Gray, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2012 12:04 pm    

Quote:
If you don't have a steel yet and you are planning on playing gigs by spring you should not waste your time on checklists and PA system questions. You need to start practicing like a demon asap

Bob, I never said I was planning on playing gigs in the spring. I said I would hopefully have my guitar in the spring. I don't think I will be playing gigs anytime soon, if ever, but it never hurts to plan ahead Laughing

I think you were doing great to be in a steady gig @ 4 months. Whoa! I just want to learn how to play and, do so, for family gatherings and my church.

I figured while I was waiting on my steel and not able to practice, I thought I would ask a few questions and learn more about what you more talented players have to go through when hitting the big stage.

Keep on a Pickin'

Todd
Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2012 12:05 pm    

Hey Todd, we'll be at the Ole Clinton Opry on the 28th. Come on out and we'll talk shop.
Todd Goad

Gray, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2012 12:10 pm    

That sounds like a winner Roger. I will mark it on my calendar. Hope you and your family have a Merry Christmas.

See ya the 28th,
Todd
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2012 6:23 pm    

My check list was always mental, done just before I leave for the gig. Whenever possible, I'd play just before the gig using the exact setup I planned to use at the gig, just to make sure everything was working properly. At the gig, the my setup and the band's was always the same. I long ago adopted the habit of keeping everything together. If you have a habit setting your picks and bar anywhere else at home rather than in your case or on your steel, sooner or later - you'll leave them behind.

There's a big tendency for the band to spread out a lot if the stage is large, but I feel that should be avoided, as it reduces the "tightness" and communication of the band. Most all the really good sounding groups I've heard used physical closeness to make the band sound more together and unified. As far as miking the amp, I prefer not to, and resort to that only when the venue is extremely large, or when playing outdoors. Personally, I abhor sound systems because they sap the life and discreteness from the sounds of the different instruments. To me, a whole band using a big sound system is just a larger version of a steeler and lead player using the same amp. At some point, everything just seems to run together.