| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Does YOUR current band have one?
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2012 8:55 pm    

Many years ago, girls 'in the band' were strictly taboo. Rolling Eyes

History had it that she'd ultimately pair up with just one of the male band members and the rest of the band would immediately become jealous and resentful and in short order the band would just sorta split-up. 'twas said to be a man thing......

Does your current band have a gal singer or whatever?

How has it worked for you?

What's your long term experiences been?
Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2012 9:20 pm    

Having a pretty girl or girls on board helps you get work and if the singers are on their game you can get nice harmonies going.A female voice sweetens up the vocal mix really well and guys like to listen to a girl.But they like to look too and a lot of it gets to be about lady-parts rather than music and most of the mixed bands I've seen as well as worked for didn't rock very hard live.Compare Fleetwood Mac or even Heart with Duane-era Allman Brothers and Terry Kath-era Chicago.Or,looking at bands with a possibility of using steel onstage,compare the Dixie Chicks with Brad Paisley's band.

Not to mention the dysfunctions Ray cites.That stuff happens all the time,and when it doesn't,there's usually a stage boyfriend lurking around,and lots of customers wanting some of what he's got.I usually manage to avoid coed bands and not learn girl tunes.Life is much simpler and in my experience,the music is tighter.YMMV.
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2012 10:47 pm    

Neither band I play in has a girl singer. But in the past, almost all of them did. I would much rather play behind a good girl singer than a male singer. I always found the girl songs more fun to play.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Bo Legg

Post  Posted 3 Nov 2012 11:38 pm    

Ray I realize you're only asking the question. I would think however both men and women could view this topic as more of the same old gender stereotypical Double Standard.
Alan Tanner

Near Dayton, Ohio
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2012 1:40 am    

Who cares if it's PC or not. Go sop that bread somewhere else. It's a good question. I too have worked with both genders and sometimes it worked, and sometimes not. The worst was when I worked with a married couple. They were jealous of each other, and always seemed to be at odds about something. Then they would try and get the band members on "their side". I prefer to back a male singer mostly, but there are a couple of dynamite ladies around here that sing and also play instruments extremely well. They also conduct themselves very professionally, which is more than I can say for a lot of male pickers who seem to have to act like dogs in heat a good part of the time.
Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2012 4:54 am    

We have three, (yes 3) girl singers in the Tim Gillis Band that I play in. We do mainly "Branson" type shows with a total of twelve performers. It works out pretty well but since there are twin fiddles, lead guitar, steel and keyboard taking lead breaks we don't get to play any long solos or fills.
Owen Barnes

Utopia, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2012 1:47 pm    

I'm playing with a band presently (Southern Ryde) that took on a female singer. So far it's working out very well. I was a little "anticipatory" at first, but have been relieved. all members seem to be dedicated to the music only. Hope it stays that way!

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2012 2:07 pm    

We have two women singers in our band, one of whom also plays a mean Freddie Green-style rhythm guitar. It has worked out great for years. We're all long beyond the kinds of games you're referring to, Ray.
Aaron Goldstein

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2012 9:32 pm    

Just came back from seeing a band with "one" (a gal). It was pretty much a pick-up band. She seemed to fit right in though.

Sorry for the grainy picture, but left to right are Albert Lee, James Burton, Luke Doucet, Cindy Cashdollar, Junior Brown. In back is John Dymond on bass and Derek Downham on drums. Pictured tonight at the Great Hall in Toronto.
'76 Sho-Bud LDG
Traynor YGM3s w EPS15s
Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2012 11:32 pm    

If we're talking about players,then there is considerably less drama.Cindy can hang with Albert and JB because she can play at that level,and I'm sure we can all think of women whose playing is much more relevant than their gender.Ray was talking about women who are more about attracting men than making music.
Daniel Policarpo

Post  Posted 5 Nov 2012 3:02 am    

When I write songs, many of them I imagine a lady singing them. Currently looking for a female singer for a recording/show project celebrating the excellent Janet McBride. Haven't had any problems with women in the band's I've played with due to sexual or personal relationship issues.
Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2012 4:51 am    

Always had trouble during the band intro ductions..You know..Phil on bass Jim on drums Mike on Lucy .. Embarassed
Leslie Ehrlich

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2012 9:16 am    

When I was in high school I played in a rock band with a female drummer.

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2012 9:36 am    

While it is gender stereotyping, as usual, there is lots of historical precedent to support the cautions. I've had the pleasure of working with many professional women players and singers, and some who were just trouble.
Lets face it, the yin-yang of male/female chemistry is part of us from culture to genetics, and it would be unreasonable to expect unlimited smooth sailing...

For some time I had a band with my first wife, and we were well aware of the stereotypes and prejudices, and did what we could to dispel that and make life pleasant for our bandmates. One of our tricks was to set up on opposite ends of the stage, and when we were feeling warm for each other, the cross-stage vibe was part of the act. When we were a bit out of sorts, we could just ignore each other and connect with other band members.
I will say that in a lot of modern country music, the gal tunes are a lot more harmonically complex and interesting. Why is that?
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2012 10:19 am    

When you start talking about 'taboos' of women in bands, that is about gender stereotyping, like it or not, that's not just PC - so I'll sop my bread anywhere I please. I've played with many women and men in bands and I'd say have had more problems with male band members who had serious personal issues with each other than with men and women who had serious personal issues with each other. Drama queens are not necessarily female.

The more general problem is band politics, which is the bane of bands, to me. If you don't have an intelligent way to deal with band politics, you're likely to have problems because alliances and political machinations are likely, and they often can undermine the spirit that makes a good band work - my opinion. As mva says, sometimes you need to do things to prevent problems, and that is as much true for all-same-gender bands as mixed-gender bands. Husband-wife/boyfriend-girlfriend issues aren't the only potential problems. I've been in bands where it was very wise to have certain members set up on opposite sides of the stage, for various reasons. But in the long haul, if you have band members that can't stand each other, it's generally trouble.

My take.
Lynn Stafford

Ridgefield, WA USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2012 10:34 am     Female Band Members

I'm very lucky to have a wife that supports my musical interests. I was a side man for the previous band I was playing in, which broke up about 4 years ago. I asked my wife if she would be willing to play her fiddle and sing in a new band I'd decided to put together with one previous member of the old one. She had previously played violin in orchestras but had never played in a "bar band" situation, like I have done for many years. She agreed to try, and has really done a great job in making the very difficult transition from reading scores to improvising fills and solos on the fly. I'm very proud of her of course, as it has not been easy, but she has made strides and has grown so much musically during this 4 year process. She has gained confidence through the years and is a great addition to our band, playing her fiddle and singing lead and harmony as well!

Here is a 3 year old photo of our band, Crossfire that was taken at an Elks Lodge not long after we got started. We actually still have the same members that are pictured! I think we sound pretty good, get along with each other and most of all have a great time playing the traditional Country songs that you can actually dance to! We've developed a good, loyal following of fans and I consider myself to be a very, very lucky man.

STEEL GUITAR WEST
http://www.steelguitarwest.com
Steel Guitar Technician (Restoration, Set-up, Service and Repair work)

Previous Emmons Authorized Dealer & Service Technician (original factory is now closed)

ZumSteel Authorized Service Technician
----------------------------------
Terry Winter

Saskatchewan, Canada
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2012 11:28 am    

I play in two groups with female band leaders. They are both great and we all have fun. Our spouses all support us and our music. Terry
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2012 12:06 pm    

Oh, by the way, in answer to this question, "Does YOUR current band have one?" - since the actual object, 'one', is "a female member", the answer is yes - http://chickentractordeluxe.com/

It would not be the same band without her, and no, there are no negative issues. In fact, there is generally less drama in this band than in many all-male bands I've been a part of.
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2012 12:12 pm    

Actually, having both genders in the band can sometimes be a calming influence, overall, discouraging some of the less-admirable behavior that might otherwise take place...
Alan Tanner

Near Dayton, Ohio
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2012 1:38 pm    

[quote="Dave Mudgett"]Oh, by the way, in answer to this question, "Does YOUR current band have one?" - since the actual object, 'one', is "a female member", the answer is yes - http://chickentractordeluxe.com/

I get it...humor. lol
Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2012 1:55 pm    

It worked for ABBA until they got married then all got divorced and then broke up but still managed to all become Multimillionaires so I don't know,maybe it works for some.

Princeton, West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2012 3:08 pm     female singers

we have a lady in our group the heart and soul band her husband sings too and she is a great cook too she always has us something fixed for us when we practice we dont argue among our group we enjoy playing music if one of us makes a mistake its not the end of the world we are by no means perfect.

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2012 4:09 pm     Lady band members..................

I've had occasion to work with several different groups down thro' the years that had female band members. They were always fun and seemed to ad a special electricity that had been seriously lacking previously.

In the early days.....it was usually the fiddle player that stole the drummers' girlfriend and ran off thereby causing the band to split up.

Girlfriend/boyfriend band members seemed to cause more conflict than did husband/wife teams.

Thanks for sharing.
Adam Sorber

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2012 5:37 am    

We have a Female front woman who is wonderful to work with. We have worked together for over two years now.

Fender Super Twin Reverb
Fender Ultra-linear Twin Reverb
Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2012 9:01 am    

Not exactly, Ray, but now and then Joni lets us boys play in her band....